Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Sherman

Loc: Surrey
Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait? new
      #952482 - 10/11/11 10:18 AM
I have managed to get by with logic 8 until now but I think I might benefit from the flex-time and bounce in place features since I want to record more external synth parts and bounce down CPU hungry synths like Omnisphere more easily.

Trouble is logic 9 has been out about over a year and a half and there is already lots of talk of logic x, I don't want to speculate on the release date for logic x since I know it's pointless but the time frame for a major logic update is usually around the 2 year mark it seems...

Do you think I should just put up with 8 like I have been or should I just upgrade to 9?

I think in the past they have given the new version free to people who recently purchased the last but I don't know how much time they allow?

any advice appreciated

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
apeshake

Re: Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait? new [Re: Sherman]
      #952502 - 10/11/11 11:58 AM
you need to decide if the time logic 9 will save you is worth the £166 upgrade assuming you won't get a free upgrade when x comes out - it could be out tomorrow or in 6 months nobody seems to have any ideas. Plus there's the risk logic X will be botched like FCP X and if Apple take logic 9 off sale you'll be stuck on 8 for a long while

If it was me i'd be too eager to get the new features of 9 to let the threat/promise of X put me off (64-bit is getting more 3rd party plugin support by the day so that'll help if you have the extra RAM)

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
      #952513 - 10/11/11 12:17 PM
I suppose it depends on why you want to change to L9.
If the Flextime and the guitar amp stuff is important for you (it was for me) then go for it.
If 8 does all you need.....

And just in case you don't know- The Logic 9 needs an intel mac.

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

Sherman

#952528 - 10/11/11 12:38 PM
Good points, I think it's too risky to wait for Logic x, it could be a complete shambles and from what I've heard the latest version of 9 is very stable so I might not need to upgrade again for ages...

desmond

Re: Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait? new [Re: Kwackman]
      #952575 - 10/11/11 03:43 PM
Quote Kwackman:

And just in case you don't know- The Logic 9 needs an intel mac.

To clarify:

Logic 9.0.0 to 9.0.2 runs on PPC Macs as well as Intels (it's a Universal Binary).

Logic 9.1.0 onwards require an Intel Mac and do not contain any PPC code.

If you buy a boxed copy, you don't really know what version is going to be in the box, of course - most likely it's still 9.0.0 but you never know, it might be a more recent version...

Sherman

#952597 - 10/11/11 05:27 PM
that's ok, I'm using an intel macbook pro.

I was also wondering have they changed the way that groove templates are handled in version 9, because in 8 if you make a groove template from an audio file you have to keep the resulting midi file in your project somewhere in order for it to remain in the quantize menu, I always hoped they would change this so they could be used in other projects without the need to put the midi files in my default template?

infiniteloop

Loc: 3rd rock from the sun
Re: Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait? new [Re: desmond]
      #952600 - 10/11/11 05:39 PM
Can you absolutely confirm that Desmond..??? The only reason I haven't upgraded to Logic 9 is because I understood it to be Intel only & therefore wouldn't run on my old G5/2.3 Dual..!

--------------------
Mac G5 Dual 2.3/6gb Ram, MOTU 828mkII, Yamaha 02r, DBX 286A, Logic 8, Roland SRV-3030D, Roland JV-1080, Roland JV-1010, Emu Proteus 2000, Roland SC55 MK2, Tascam DA-30 MK2

~Paul

Loc: South Herts/North London
Re: Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait? new [Re: infiniteloop]
      #952604 - 10/11/11 05:47 PM
Quote infiniteloop:

Can you absolutely confirm that Desmond..??? The only reason I haven't upgraded to Logic 9 is because I understood it to be Intel only & therefore wouldn't run on my old G5/2.3 Dual..!

It's true... Logic 9.0.0, v9.0.1 & v9.0.2 will run on PPC Macs. Not officially, but it is a universal binary application, and does run on PPC Macs. From then on however, it is 100% intel only.
In my experience though, these earlier versions of Logic 9 were not hugely stable unfortunately.

--------------------
Paul

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
Re: Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait? new [Re: infiniteloop]
      #952628 - 10/11/11 06:41 PM
Quote infiniteloop:

He's correct. I ran 9.0.2 on my G5, but it couldn't take 9.1
But I didn't think you could get 9.0.x versions anymore?

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

desmond

Re: Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait? [Re: infiniteloop]
      #952630 - 10/11/11 06:44 PM
Quote infiniteloop:

9.0.2 is the last version you can run on PPC Macs. You won't be able to use Mainstage, as iirc that's Intel only, but the Logic application was unofficially PPC compatible until 9.1.0, because that was the first 64-bit version and it's not possible to make an Intel 32/64-bit application and also include PPC compatibility.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3320

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media