Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
MarcusH

Loc: Mumbai
Logic Pro X Release Guesses ??? new
      #952535 - 10/11/11 12:56 PM
Hi

Anybody have any views on when Logic Pro X will be released? There was a story circulating in Sept about features, but nothing since. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd launch just before Christmas, as they'd want to launch something with more mass market sales then. So unless they launch around now, perhaps we're looking at the New Year?

As far as Apple watchers go I'm fairly inexperienced - so any body else?

Marcus

--------------------
You live. You learn.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
G-Doubleyou

Re: Logic Pro X Release Guesses ??? new [Re: MarcusH]
      #952554 - 10/11/11 02:27 PM
Soon, been noticing some Logic 10 book placeholders for pre-orders.

There's a thread over at Gearslutz.com

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

johnny h

#952555 - 10/11/11 02:30 PM
Quote MarcusH:

Hi

Anybody have any views on when Logic Pro X will be released? There was a story circulating in Sept about features, but nothing since. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd launch just before Christmas, as they'd want to launch something with more mass market sales then. So unless they launch around now, perhaps we're looking at the New Year?

As far as Apple watchers go I'm fairly inexperienced - so any body else?

Marcus

They could do with increasing the quality of their mixdown engine and internal plugins.

And also not make it crash ALL the time.

Daniel Davis

Loc: Edinburgh
Re: Logic Pro X Release Guesses ??? new [Re: johnny h]
      #952560 - 10/11/11 02:49 PM
Quote johnny h:

They could do with increasing the quality of their mixdown engine and internal plugins.

I can't argue for Logic 9, but I have had Logic versions 3, 5, and 8 and can't remember the last time it crashed. Its one of the most stable programs I've ever used.

Mixdown involves nothing more than adding - how can adding be improved? I'm a .Net programmer by day, I'd be interested if you could tell me some more about any elusive mathematical properties of addition to which I am not privy.

Yes, I have Waves Platinum and a Focusrite Liquid Mix, but compared with the likes of similarly priced programs I think the plug-ins are of a reasonable quality and the soft synths would justify the price tag of the program on their own.

Honestly my last version of Logic cost me £300 and the Waves Plug-ins are indeed slightly better, but cost £2500. Many plug-ins used by pros cost over a £100 each, so why complain at the quality of Logic at its price point?

--------------------
Daniel Davis
Edinburgh Recording Studio Windmill Sound

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #952567 - 10/11/11 03:05 PM
A Monday.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

desmond

#952576 - 10/11/11 03:46 PM
Quote johnny h:

There's nothing wrong with the quality of Logic's mixer.
Personally, I'm not particularly interested in more plugins for Logic, I'm more interested in workflow features and bug fixes - but of course everyone's requests will be different.

Quote johnny h:

Logic's always been rock solid here and rarely crashes (I can't remember the last time it crashed).
Try using it without third-party plugins or audio drivers for a while - does it still crash for you? Try it on a new fresh OSX install as well if you can.

johnny h

Re: Logic Pro X Release Guesses ??? new [Re: Daniel Davis]
      #952584 - 10/11/11 04:40 PM
Quote Daniel Davis:

Quote johnny h:

I can't argue for Logic 9, but I have had Logic versions 3, 5, and 8 and can't remember the last time it crashed. Its one of the most stable programs I've ever used.

Mixdown involves nothing more than adding - how can adding be improved? I'm a .Net programmer by day, I'd be interested if you could tell me some more about any elusive mathematical properties of addition to which I am not privy.

Yes, I have Waves Platinum and a Focusrite Liquid Mix, but compared with the likes of similarly priced programs I think the plug-ins are of a reasonable quality and the soft synths would justify the price tag of the program on their own.

Honestly my last version of Logic cost me £300 and the Waves Plug-ins are indeed slightly better, but cost £2500. Many plug-ins used by pros cost over a £100 each, so why complain at the quality of Logic at its price point?

Because its shite and doesn't need to be like that. Compare boosting on the channel EQ to a basic waves renaissance EQ. Its a brittle, harsh mess.

The mixdown engine is 24bit, which is fine if you are only doing a number of channels, but with lots of plugins and buses, rounding errors mount up in a non-musical way. If you structure your channels carefully you can get a perfectly good mix out of it certainly, but there is really no need for the audio engine to be behind every other competitor.

desmond

#952587 - 10/11/11 04:51 PM
Quote johnny h:

The mixdown engine is 24bit, which is fine if you are only doing a number of channels, but with lots of plugins and buses, rounding errors mount up in a non-musical way. If you structure your channels carefully you can get a perfectly good mix out of it certainly, but there is really no need for the audio engine to be behind every other competitor.

Ho hum.

Logic's "mixdown engine" is not 24bit, it's 32float, like almost every other DAW out there, and is "behind" nobody, and sounds bit for bit identical (null tested) to all the other DAW mixers using the same scheme (implementation differences like pan laws aside).

Logic only outputs fixed-point bounces up to 24-bit depth though, but I fail to see how that's much of a limitation in the real world.

Edited by desmond (10/11/11 05:28 PM)

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
      #952596 - 10/11/11 05:27 PM
Not to mention that the Waves Ren EQs sound just as "brittle" as Logic's own.

twotoedsloth

#952616 - 10/11/11 06:04 PM
I was told by a Waves product rep that Apple had dismissed their whole Logic marketing and distribution team, and that Logic X would be released through the App store. While I can't be sure, I am moderately concerned that Apple plans to to nerf Logic the same way it did to Final Cut. I use both Mac and PC, and therefore use Cubase, but many of my colleagues are Logic users going back to the Notator days, it's not going to be easy for them to switch after 20 years.

MarcusH

#952624 - 10/11/11 06:25 PM
Any more guesses on timing?

desmond

Re: Logic Pro X Release Guesses ??? new [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #952629 - 10/11/11 06:42 PM
Quote twotoedsloth:

I was told by a Waves product rep that Apple had dismissed their whole Logic marketing and distribution team, and that Logic X would be released through the App store.

I doubt a Waves rep knows much of what goes on in Apple. But yes, the next version of Logic is almost certainly going to be released through the App Store.

Quote twotoedsloth:

While I can't be sure, I am moderately concerned that Apple plans to to nerf Logic the same way it did to Final Cut.

I think the people who are concerned about this probably don't know much about the Final Cut situation, and make comparisons to Logic where comparisons don't make sense. FCP was an old, 32-bit legacy Cocoa application, which was architected on a decade old application framework - it was crusty, and hopelessly out of date. As Apple had to basically rewrite it from scratch, they made the decision to redesign it from scratch too. And apparently, up until really late in the day, the version we have now was going to be called "Final Cut" or "Final Cut Express" (*not* Final Cut Pro), and it was the higher ups who chose to call it the "Pro" version. It's a very different situation to Logic, which went through the modernisation a few years ago.

Quote twotoedsloth:

I use both Mac and PC, and therefore use Cubase, but many of my colleagues are Logic users going back to the Notator days, it's not going to be easy for them to switch after 20 years.

Yes, I was a Creator & Notator user too.

I'm not worried about Logic, to be honest, personally.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #952638 - 10/11/11 07:15 PM
And of course if they do nerf it up one can always just not upgrade!

(Never come across the word nerf before. Pretty sure I can tell what it means from context )

CC

--------------------
Back away from the concertina and no-one gets hurt
Mr Punch's Studio

MarcusH

Re: Logic Pro X Release Guesses ??? new [Re: ConcertinaChap]
      #952641 - 10/11/11 07:32 PM
Quote ConcertinaChap:

And of course if they do nerf it up one can always just not upgrade!

Or if you buy Logic X and it's unstable, at least you can go back to to Logic 9 for a time, while they sort out the bugs - as L9 will still be there. It's not like say, moving to Lion which is a lot of work to roll-back.

I wonder if Logic Pro X will be compatible with Snow Leopard or whether it will be Lion-only to make us upgrade. In my case that would have the reverse effect.

Quote ConcertinaChap:

(Never come across the word nerf before. Pretty sure I can tell what it means from context

I think you chose exactly the right word!

twotoedsloth

#952644 - 10/11/11 07:43 PM
Nerf is a children's toy company http://www.hasbro.com/nerf

This Waves product rep does really seem to know his stuff, for what that's worth. A former student of the university I work at was a member of the Apple/Logic team, and Emagic before that, and he was reorganized out of a job, so they're not just baseless rumours.

desmond

Re: Logic Pro X Release Guesses ??? new [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #952662 - 10/11/11 08:44 PM
Apple also reorganised the FCP marketing team - I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was doing things like packaging and retail strategies etc which Apple are phasing out as they move to a completely online software distribution method.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing (except for the folks losing jobs, of course) or indicative of any lessening of commitment to the product, imo...

thedomus

Re: Logic Pro X Release Guesses ??? [Re: desmond]
      #952853 - 11/11/11 06:07 PM
Quote desmond:

Quote johnny h:

Ho hum.

Logic's "mixdown engine" is not 24bit, it's 32float, like almost every other DAW out there, and is "behind" nobody, and sounds bit for bit identical (null tested) to all the other DAW mixers using the same scheme (implementation differences like pan laws aside).

Logic only outputs fixed-point bounces up to 24-bit depth though, but I fail to see how that's much of a limitation in the real world.

Phew! Thanks Desmond for continued quelling of mis-information!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6613

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media