Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Loc: Where the black rocks stand gu...
Painting a scratchplate--what paint? new
      #953324 - 14/11/11 04:40 PM
I'd like to paint a scratchplate on an old Yamaha pacifica tele I've got (they don't make replacements as far as I can see). Any suggestions for what type of paint to use? Car paint or Airfix enamel? Do I need to sand it first or anything? Cheers

--------------------
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Re: Painting a scratchplate--what paint? new [Re: Huge Longjohns]
      #953669 - 16/11/11 09:31 AM
Nobody ever done this? Really?

--------------------
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Dynamic Mike

#953723 - 16/11/11 12:55 PM
Plasti-kote?

DM

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

. . . Delete This
Here be Dragons

#953728 - 16/11/11 01:18 PM
used assorted kinds of paint in the past..... sand the surface to roughen it to improve adhesion, give it a couple of thin coats of primer, rub it down smooth, then colour coats as normal , thin, and rubbed back....

conical dremel polishing tools are useful for the screw holes.

(yes car paint, but normally, lightly thinned and applied with air brush, not straight from aerosol. )

Edited by Off duty BBQ lighter AKA Idris (16/11/11 01:19 PM)

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
Re: Painting a scratchplate--what paint? [Re: Huge Longjohns]
      #953743 - 16/11/11 02:20 PM
Personally, I wouldn't bother painting a scratch plate. Even if replacements aren't available off the shelf most replacement manufacturers can make one using the existing part as a template. And if you have access to a decent laminate trimmer it is possible to do it yourself.

The reason I wouldn't want to paint a scratchplate is that it is a lot of work for something that doesn't last very long. Self coloured plastic is great because scratches don't show very well. But a painted finish will show scratches and wear very quickly. And once there is a scratch it doesn't take long before the paint starts to flake off the plastic.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Darren Lynch

#953745 - 16/11/11 02:36 PM
I got decent results using car aerosol, 'misted' from 3-ft distance (A well ventilated area is needed.

Two issues - impatiently picking up the plate before the paint was properly dry (not just touch dry), and (as Andy observes) the very rapid wear n tear.

It's also worth bearing in mind that after the novelty of having a different coloured scratch plate has worn off (scuse the pun!) you may yearn for the original.

Old Pacifica's rock.

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

#953766 - 16/11/11 03:58 PM
Quote:

off the shelf most replacement manufacturers can make one using the existing part as a template

Any ones you'd recommend? Thanks for all the replies!

--------------------

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #953783 - 16/11/11 05:25 PM
An alternative - which I've not used on guitars but on lots of other things - is to make a replacement out of transparent acrylic sheet about 3mm thick. After cutting edges, cut-outs etc. smooth with progressively finer grades of sandpaper, then finish with metal polish soaked in cardboard.

Paint the reverse side. As well as being just about indestructible the acrylic seems to give extra 'depth' as well as shine to the colours. You can also get artistic and paint designs on before putting on the final background colour. As this will be on the reverse side there won't be any raised sections giving crappy reflections.

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #953819 - 16/11/11 09:27 PM
Quote Huge Longjohns:

Quote:

off the shelf most replacement manufacturers can make one using the existing part as a template

Any ones you'd recommend? Thanks for all the replies!

Afraid not, I just recalled searching for Pacifica replacement scratchplates for someone here a year or more ago and remembered that most of the UK suppliers offered a custom service along those lines.

I've made replacements using similar methods to the ones Folderol described. It is possible, but a lot of work to get something with really neat, clean, lines. Making scratchplates by hand is one of the jobs I hate most. So many guitars depend on the scratchplate to finish of the design and tie everything together into a whole. It can be very obvious when you get it wrong. I still have nightmares over a replacement mirrored scratchplate for a Musicman Bass...

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

#953902 - 17/11/11 11:11 AM
Quote:

It can be very obvious when you get it wrong.

Yes, I thought about this route when I saw you can buy the blanks but I'm pretty certain I'd make a cack-handed attempt at cutting it out, bevelling the edges, countersinking the screwholes etc.

I've done some searches for custom-made ones and they're pretty expensive it seems compared with the £15 or so for an off the peg Fender or Gibson shaped one.

--------------------

artzmusic

Loc: usa
      #953927 - 17/11/11 01:03 PM
Huge, The two options you might consider is 1. Plastic like ABS with the color impregnated throughout or 2. plexiglass. However, the plexiglass should be painted on the side facing the guitar. Think of those backlit signs. The coating needs to be applied very uniformly from a distance, several light coats built up. (If you do a design, put the dark color first, 'cause then you can eliminate masking on the lighter one) Then the pick will be scratching the clear side of the plexiglass - which can be polished as needed.

Hope that makes it simple for you

Best
Rick

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6097

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media