Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
twotoedsloth

Split digital signal new
      #953339 - 14/11/11 05:27 PM
Is it "safe" to split an AES or SPDIF signal? I have an optical splitter that works great for Toslink SPDIF. Is this even possible with electrical SPDIF or AES/EBU? I remember reading somewhere that AES/EBU was designed to be split up to four times, but Google is not cooperating.

Thanks,

Peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
Re: Split digital signal new [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #953367 - 14/11/11 07:18 PM
I always split an AES signal with a proper transformer splitter.

The impedance needs to be 110Ω for balanced AES cable, ot 75Ω for co-axial cable.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

twotoedsloth

Re: Split digital signal new [Re: John Willett]
      #953568 - 15/11/11 07:29 PM
So a Y cable won't work?

How about for an electrical (75 ohm) splitter?

I'd like to use a mic pre with a built in ADC to feed three recorders simultaneously.

Thanks,

Peter

twotoedsloth

#953984 - 17/11/11 05:04 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #953987 - 17/11/11 05:27 PM
You'll need a transformer or distribution amplifier to do it properly. A Y cable might work but this would depend on the device driving the splitter.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Split digital signal new [Re: James Perrett]
      #953991 - 17/11/11 05:57 PM
Er... the original design spec for AES3 (AES/EBU as it was then) specifically allowed for up to a four-way passive split arrangement using a parallel strip or Y-split arrangement -- but with the proviso that each output was correctly terminated with 110 ohms at all times.

That option was withdrawn from the later specs documents becuase of the potential for catastrophic failure with unterminated split outputs... but it does work and I have been known to do it on occasion when necessary. Works best if you can keep the cables very short -- less than a couple of metres. It is also possible to do with S/PDIF (with 75 ohm terms)m, although sincehte starting signal strength is so much lower than AES3 it gets dodgy much sooner!

It is obviously far better (technically) and safer (from a reliability perspective) to use a proper active and independently buffered digital distribution amplifier system, or failing that a proper AES3 transformer split, but in quick and dirty bodge-it situations, a passive parallel split -- provided both outputs are correctly terminated -- can be used quite satisfactorily.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

twotoedsloth

#954002 - 17/11/11 06:37 PM
Please forgive me for asking what is probably a stupid question, but what is proper termination? Is this like something from the SCSI days when you'd put a terminator at the end of your device chain?

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Split digital signal [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #954095 - 18/11/11 10:30 AM
When you are talking about frequencies above audio the cable characteristics start to become more important and we have to start using transmission line techniques. Every cable has a characteristic impedance which is a function of its capacitance and inductance and each end of the cable must be terminated with a matching network (often just a resistor but it can be more complex) in order to prevent reflections from the ends corrupting the signal.

So the reason for terminators is exactly the same for SCSI as it is for AES/EBU or SPDIF although the value of the resistors may be different.

James

PS - if you've ever looked at the utilities that come with some computer network adaptors, you will often find a cable length tester. This uses the fact that an unterminated cable will reflect a pulse back and measures the time taken for the pulse to return to give the cable length.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3511

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media