Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
Using Logic as a sound module
      #954497 - 21/11/11 12:23 AM
Hello every one, hope you can help with my little Logic issue cos it's doing my head in.

I am running Logic 7.2 on a PPC imac G5, I have a MOTU 828 mk1 and a M-Audio Fast Track Pro which I only use for MIDI I/O as my Emagic AMT-8 broke a year or two ago and I already had the M-Audio lying about doing nothing.

Basically I write tracks mainly using an all hardware setup with a MPC-2000XL and cheapy 32ch Mackie board at the center of everything, the MPC is the main sequencer.

I sometimes use Logic just as a sound module as some of it's plugins I really like such as the the EVB3.
Basically one of the MIDI outputs from the MPC goes into the M-Audio and I can assign any of the 16 MPC MIDI channels to play a corresponding AU instrument, I press play on the MPC and Logic's sequencer doesn't start. Great. I like to think of it as a futuristic Roland JV lol

I downloaded the template from this guy few years ago, who shows how he did it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GXwMUXeSM

Now my problem is this... I cannot seem to create that environment by my self from scratch!
I start a new project and create the necessary things such as a physical input, multi-instrument, channel splitter and wire that up to the AU channels and nothing!

Reason I'm trying to do this even though I have a working "template" which I didn't originally create is because I should technically be able to also do this in Logic 5.5 on PC but first I need to nail it on the MAC.
Why I want to do that is because this MAC is dying and I can't justify buying a new one just for a small select few plug-ins I rarely use when I already have V5.5 on a laptop

Edited by vinyl_junkie (21/11/11 12:26 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Using Logic as a sound module new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #954515 - 21/11/11 08:03 AM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

Now my problem is this... I cannot seem to create that environment by my self from scratch!
I start a new project and create the necessary things such as a physical input, multi-instrument, channel splitter and wire that up to the AU channels and nothing!

You shouldn't need to create a Physical Input object, because Logic will already have one. Go to the Click&Ports layer to see it, and cable from there. What you might find is that you've created a duplicate physical input object, and events are coming in from the first one (I haven't checked the behaviour of this, just a hunch from your description of what you are doing.)

The multi instruments on the incoming path in the example above do nothing, I'm not sure why he's putting them there. You can just cable to the channel splitters directly.

Quote vinyl_junkie:

Reason I'm trying to do this even though I have a working "template" which I didn't originally create is because I should technically be able to also do this in Logic 5.5 on PC but first I need to nail it on the MAC.
Why I want to do that is because this MAC is dying and I can't justify buying a new one just for a small select few plug-ins I rarely use when I already have V5.5 on a laptop

My memory's hazy - it *should* work on 5.5 PC, if you really can stand to use that ld version, but there were some gotchas with this back in the day - Logic couldn't run all software instruments live in the environment, so your setup wouldn't work. I can't remember if this feature was added before or after 5.5.1 - I think you'll be ok, but if you get instances where only one, or no instruments work, then you might have to use the old "force into live mode" trick of sticking a bypassed I/Oplugin on each of the software instrument channels you want to use.

vinyl_junkie

#954530 - 21/11/11 09:11 AM
Thanks Desmond, I'll give this a go when I get home later today

Pitchfork

Loc: London
      #954559 - 21/11/11 11:14 AM
A little bit off-topic, but whats the 828mk1 like sound wise? Thinking of getting one and its supposedly 24-bit?

vinyl_junkie

Re: Using Logic as a sound module new [Re: Pitchfork]
      #954612 - 21/11/11 02:39 PM
Quote Pitchfork:

A little bit off-topic, but whats the 828mk1 like sound wise? Thinking of getting one and its supposedly 24-bit?

That's right. 24 bit with a choice of 44.1 of 48k sample rates.
I don't know if it's me but it seems to have a certain "sound" about it and it's quite bass heavy, I prefer it to the M-Audio I have though.

It's quite a old box now though and I'm sure there are better things on the market but for what I do it fits the bill just fine and I can't say anything too bad about it. The transformer inside buzzes which is annoying... cos so do my monitors, mixer, Lexicon verb, e'ole yamaha rack synths but that's the joy with crappy transformers getting old lol

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3281

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media