Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
RemoHead

Loc: West Midlands, UK
Help with the Glyn Johns Method new
      #954769 - 22/11/11 10:09 AM
Hi guys,

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with my drums sounds lately and would like to try the Glyn Johns method.

I just want to check i'm getting this exactly right so I can compare with my other recordings.

Im using 4 mics, 2 overheads (C414's), 1 snare mic (SM57) and a kick mic (D112) + my home made sub kick paired up with the D112. My kit is a well tuned Pearl masters.

Overhead One: set up directly above the centre of my snare drum, facing down, 40" above the snare. Panned right to 3 o'clock

Overhead Two: Set up 4-6" above the floor tom and exactly 40" away from the dead centre of the snare, angled so the mic capsule is pointing directly at the dead centre. Panned left to 9 o'clock

Snare and kick spot mics placed to taste.

I think i'm pretty close with this but feel free to let me know of any changes you'd make or suggest!

Would it be better to listen to both overhead mics individually first or as a pair?

Levels wise i'm assuming i'm aiming at the same level from both overheads when the snare is hit, and that the snare feels central in the stereo image.

Assuming I throw the C414 into carded does it matter if the stand and mic body is placed in front, behind or coming in from the drummers left hand side, just as long as the mic capsule itself is directly over the dead centre of the snare?

Many thanks in advance.

Remo

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
buggymusic

Re: Help with the Glyn Johns Method new [Re: RemoHead]
      #954789 - 22/11/11 12:19 PM
I think all the elements are there for the method. To keep the phasing to a minimum use a tape measure to ensure equal distance to the snare from each overhead mic. Roll off the bottom frequencies off the 414s as the bottom end will be mostly via the bass drum mic. Record a test segment with snare and zoom in on the DAW to if see the overheads align. The suggested panning of the overheads about half way to the left and the right (not full panning) sounds correct. If you have a nice stereo valve pre put the overheads via that possibly as the newer 414s can be rather clinical sounding IMO.

RemoHead

Loc: West Midlands, UK
Re: Help with the Glyn Johns Method new [Re: buggymusic]
      #954808 - 22/11/11 02:02 PM
thats brilliant thanks, when I zoom in on the waveforms of the overheads should they be perfectly aligned with each other for the snare hit, i'm guessing so.

I have a pair of TLAudio tube channels which can be stereo linked so i'll probably use those.

thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Rob Taylor

Re: Help with the Glyn Johns Method [Re: RemoHead]
      #954956 - 23/11/11 01:08 PM
That's the ideal situation. Since they're the same distance from the snare, the sound will reach them at the same time, so the waveforms should be matching up.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3045

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media