Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
valves4ever

Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: The Elf]
      #955964 - 28/11/11 04:20 PM
Quote The Elf:

Quote valves4ever:

As an old timer and technical luddite I find all this apps/twitter/icloud/synching/googling/texting/emailing etc etc etc to be one big income generator for the manufacturers and suppliers at the expense of the technologically addicted and gullible public......most of the messaging on these systems is a load of rubbish and not worth reading or hearing.....and for the cynical out there that includes this post.....back to my wind-up gramophone.....

I'd agree with you one one level. I find Facebook, Twitter et al a total waste of time.

But iCloud has nothing to do with such things!

what does it have to do with then please?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: valves4ever]
      #955965 - 28/11/11 04:22 PM
iCloud stores and synchronises calendars, contacts, photos, documents, etc. It's not a messaging system. And it's effectively 'free', assuming you have a device that supports it.

If you're really interested, take a look here:

iCloud

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

valves4ever

#955967 - 28/11/11 04:27 PM
Quote The Elf:

iCloud stores and synchronises calendars, contacts, photos, documents, etc. It's not a messaging system. If you're interested, take a look here:

iCloud

thanks for that...I see that it is yet another facility for the technologically addicted and gullible public....

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #955969 - 28/11/11 04:33 PM
Quote valves4ever:

Quote The Elf:

iCloud stores and synchronises calendars, contacts, photos, documents, etc. It's not a messaging system. If you're interested, take a look here:

iCloud

thanks for that...I see that it is yet another facility for the technologically addicted and gullible public....

Not at all. It's a useful facility that has been around for a long time in one form or another. It requires no outlay, effort or understanding - it just does its thing, like MIDI. You either 'get it', or you don't! Just like MIDI it makes my life easier! But just like MIDI you don't need it to make some music.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

desmond

#955971 - 28/11/11 04:36 PM
Quote valves4ever:

Indeed. Probably just like, erm, Telephones. Radio. Television. The Piano. Electricity, and so on.

What was wrong with living in caves, eh..?

valves4ever

Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: . . . Delete This User . . .]
      #955972 - 28/11/11 04:36 PM
thanks for enlightening me....I don't think, I'll bother.......

valves4ever

Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: desmond]
      #955973 - 28/11/11 04:37 PM
Quote desmond:

Quote valves4ever:

Indeed. Probably just like, erm, Telephones. Radio. Television. The Piano. Electricity, and so on.

What was wrong with living in caves, eh..?

Nothing...In fact I saw some people in Gran Canaria last year who do just that!

basilfawlty

Loc: UK
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: . . . Delete This User . . .]
      #956008 - 28/11/11 08:28 PM
It all looks a bit scary. I run a 2010 MBP i7 with SL and Logic; a 2010 octo MP with SL and Logic, an iphone 3 (sim free as I can only get Virgin where I live), and a 2007 Carillon Core2duo with XP and Cubase 4. For me the total cost of the 'free' icloud service would come to the best part of £1000, (new sim-free phone, Win7 upgrade, cubase upgrade), not to mention losing the ability to run my £2k TC powercore, and worry about some of the Logic / Lion issues folks seem to be having.

I'm currently syncing calendars via google calendar sync, email using imap, itunes on a wire.

I can understand the aggressive progressive approach to Apple's marketing, but it leaves a lot of folks saying 'yeah, Apple used to be so cool, but now they're becoming 'the man''.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in this world - 9 who understand binary; the rest are like me.

Gary M
Audio Technica

Loc: Northwood, London
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: basilfawlty]
      #956034 - 28/11/11 10:59 PM
Quote basilfawlty:

It all looks a bit scary. I run a 2010 MBP i7 with SL and Logic; a 2010 octo MP with SL and Logic, an iphone 3 (sim free as I can only get Virgin where I live), and a 2007 Carillon Core2duo with XP and Cubase 4. For me the total cost of the 'free' icloud service would come to the best part of £1000, (new sim-free phone, Win7 upgrade, cubase upgrade), not to mention losing the ability to run my £2k TC powercore, and worry about some of the Logic / Lion issues folks seem to be having.

I'm currently syncing calendars via google calendar sync, email using imap, itunes on a wire.

I can understand the aggressive progressive approach to Apple's marketing, but it leaves a lot of folks saying 'yeah, Apple used to be so cool, but now they're becoming 'the man''.

Things will move on and you will eventually see how good iCloud is. people will look back on this post. .mac and mobile me was one of apples worst moments and now people are missing it!

I have a G5 and its 6 years old. I have come to accept that a 6 year old product may not support the latest operating system or gadgets.

Its like me banging my CRT Television wondering why it wont connect to the internet or work with my 3D glasses!!!

Mail rules? - If your a business get exchange, its great I use it at work and does everything we have discus but you pay for it and it takes some setting up.

Wifi passwords? - surely this would only be part of a laptop that you would have on you, its not really something that is needed to be synced to a load of machines all around the world?

I back iCloud as i have not had any problems with it and it just seems to work. Gmail is great but you have to have a net connection. it does not allow me to typle an email on my ipad in a remote location with no Internet then have it automatically send when a signal is picked up. iCloud and Microsoft exchange do allow this!

iCloud - definitely not a stupid idea. But not revolutionary either

Cheers

Gary

Neokoenig

Loc: Oxford
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: Gary M]
      #956036 - 28/11/11 11:27 PM
Quote Gary M:

Gmail is great but you have to have a net connection. it does not allow me to typle an email on my ipad in a remote location with no Internet then have it automatically send when a signal is picked up. iCloud and Microsoft exchange do allow this!

Eh? If it's in your 'outbox'...
You *do* know you can set up Google Apps/Gmail as an exchange client on Apple devices...?

--------------------
Web Design ~
Drum Studio

Gary M
Audio Technica

Loc: Northwood, London
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: Neokoenig]
      #956079 - 29/11/11 08:43 AM
Quote Neokoenig:

Quote Gary M:

Gmail is great but you have to have a net connection. it does not allow me to typle an email on my ipad in a remote location with no Internet then have it automatically send when a signal is picked up. iCloud and Microsoft exchange do allow this!

Eh? If it's in your 'outbox'...
You *do* know you can set up Google Apps/Gmail as an exchange client on Apple devices...?

Am I right in thinking that's just come out? or are you on about using the mail app and setting it up like exchange?

If so, point taken I think i was more referring to an earlier post about Gmail having done it all and not seeing teh difference between what apple has done and what Google already have. i suppose thinking about it there is not a lot of difference.

cheers

Gary

Neokoenig

Loc: Oxford
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: Gary M]
      #956086 - 29/11/11 09:16 AM
Quote Gary M:

Am I right in thinking that's just come out? or are you on about using the mail app and setting it up like exchange?

Yeah - just that bit - but like on the iPhone, the syncing etc with calendars/contacts/mail works really well..

--------------------
Web Design ~
Drum Studio

baward

#956122 - 29/11/11 11:25 AM
I have in recent years gone off Apple (user since 1989) and I only really use their products for legacy reasons now. The 'wow' factor disappeared for me around 10 years ago and now theres not a great deal to differentiate them from other computing product companies. iShame.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #956154 - 29/11/11 01:13 PM
The company's too big, too smug.

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

benniferj

Loc: Camberley, Surrey, UK
      #956196 - 29/11/11 03:30 PM
It's a totally rock and hard place though, as i've loved Apple products for years, well since I got into audio/video media. Windows systems just haven't interested me and I still wouldn't want to use one. But if Apple bugger up Logic X, i'm forced to Lion that I already don't really like that much (i'm getting towards needing a new computer for the studio) and my MobileMe syncing is getting cut reduced I don't really know what to do.

Blott

Loc: Nottingham UK
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: benniferj]
      #956260 - 29/11/11 08:41 PM
I'm another Apple user who's starting to think the unthinkable.
Its the grey interface of Lion thats the turning point for me.
They say it's 'unifying' the user interface, but it just makes it more difficult to read and navigate and is a terrible design decision by Apple.
Funny that they haven't 'unified' the IOS on the iPhones, iPads & iPod touches to have all the same colour icons then isn't it?
Utter nonsense.
I swear if I don't get my colour sidebar icons back in a future update then I too will start running Windows as the primary on my Macs.
I'm able to stick with Snow Leopard on my current hardware, but I won't be able to with future Apple products, so this really is a deal breaker for me.
I thought pale blue icons on pale blue folders introduced in Snow Leopard was a backwards step (it was), but this all grey colour interface in the finder is just too much and the straw that broke the camels back for me.
I also don't like the iCloud thing it's not seamless at all as Apple infer.
I still perform my own backups thanks and it's not hard keeping calendars and address books synced across devices. I use Dropbox for my online storage which integrates brilliantly on a Mac AND PC.
I love my Mac Pro & MacBook Pro, but if things keep going downhill OS wise as they are at the moment, then I'll jump before I'm pushed.
Windows 7 is actually alright!

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/blottuk
http://blottuk.bandcamp.com

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: Blott]
      #956300 - 30/11/11 05:55 AM
Quote JazzyGB1:

They say it's 'unifying' the user interface, but it just makes it more difficult to read and navigate and is a terrible design decision by Apple.

Agreed. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want a grey-in-grey interface. Coloured icons assist with finding folders quickly, and a little colour here and there looks appealing anyway.

I really wonder who these high-end graphics artists are who come up with such amateurish looking colour schemes. With every new iteration of OS X, simple things like contrast get worse and worse. Or iTunes with its horrible transport buttons... Freeware such as Miro looks a great deal more professional than that.

OneWorld

#956314 - 30/11/11 09:28 AM
Quote valves4ever:

As an old timer and technical luddite I find all this apps/twitter/icloud/synching/googling/texting/emailing etc etc etc to be one big income generator for the manufacturers and suppliers at the expense of the technologically addicted and gullible public......most of the messaging on these systems is a load of rubbish and not worth reading or hearing.....and for the cynical out there that includes this post.....back to my wind-up gramophone.....

Not being a neophile I agree totally. Simply because there are more ways of communicating messages doesn't mean they become intrinsically more interesting. Coming home from work on the train the other day was an example - a full 50 minutes sat next to a woman making a call and me being being privy to the most excrutiatingly mundane and trite claptrap regarding a cohort of her BTEC students and their results.

The conversation consisting of nothing but ancient cliches and feigned gasps of surprise on her part. Where on earth does one get the opportunity to be contemplative these days when we are deluged by an unremitting flow of ubertosh that we all have to listen to - bah!

desmond

Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: OneWorld]
      #956325 - 30/11/11 10:02 AM
Completely agree - I hate having to be forced to listen to other people's phone conversations in public, and sound pollution in general.

I think of it as other people stealing CPU cycles from my brain.

But then I am the Noise Fascist in my family, I guess...

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #956327 - 30/11/11 10:04 AM
That is what the personal stereo was invented for, to keep out other people's noise. Anyway this is way off topic!

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Exalted Wombat

Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: Tui]
      #956354 - 30/11/11 11:31 AM
Quote Tui:

Quote JazzyGB1:

Agreed. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want a grey-in-grey interface. Coloured icons assist with finding folders quickly, and a little colour here and there looks appealing anyway.

I really wonder who these high-end graphics artists are who come up with such amateurish looking colour schemes. With every new iteration of OS X, simple things like contrast get worse and worse. Or iTunes with its horrible transport buttons... Freeware such as Miro looks a great deal more professional than that.

I redesigned a friend's website the other day. She thought it didn't look "modern" enough. We eventually discovered that, for her, "modern" meant "grey". Fine, I can do grey....

Last year everyone wanted lots of Flash. Thank goodness THAT'S out of fashion.

Tui

#956391 - 30/11/11 01:35 PM
Yeah, grey... And black. LOTS of black. Like FCP.

baward

Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #956457 - 30/11/11 05:50 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Fine, I can do grey....

Grey is the new brown is the new black

bugiolacchi

Loc: London
      #956466 - 30/11/11 06:18 PM
iCloud.... OK. Google Chrome and the Google family: rules! I just need to log in on any computer in the world on GC and voila', all my bookmarks, shortcuts and preferences are there.
GMail collects all my mail from 5 different 'places' and let me send them with the address I choose. And then there are Docs, video, maps, translate (so useful!)..

For 'collaborations' and back up I also use Dropbox. Immense. Never fails.

iCloud exist, yes maybe to help.. and it's free, but also to force you to buy more Apple gear. I don't fall for that... iTunes is pants.

--------------------
www.bugiolacchi.com
Songwriter/guitarist

Tui

Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: bugiolacchi]
      #956483 - 30/11/11 08:50 PM
Quote bugiolacchi:

the Google family: rules!

They sure do. If you use Android, all your data goes straight to the mobile phone carrier.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/30/carrier-iq-trevor-eckhart_n_11207 27.html

http://androidsecuritytest.com/features/logs-and-services/loggers/carrieri q/carrieriq-part2/

bugiolacchi

Loc: London
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: Tui]
      #956488 - 30/11/11 09:11 PM
Sorry, what is the point? Some smart phones, which I don't use since I use phones for calling, cameras for pictures, and computers.. for computing (and GPS in the car!), will log your Goggle search (not worrying at al) and email addresses (worrying 1% more). And it's not 'Google's' fault.
But even so, so what? 99.99 of my internet searches are totally non-private (mostly for work, or finding an airline or traintimes) and the one I would make, maybe of medical or personal nature, I would use my own safe computer at home anyway, not while walking through Leicester Sq.!

As per the email addresses, it's hardly a secret... I can give you all my email addresses if you want... actually I advertise them in all my websites AND I include it when I write to anyone...
What's the problem..?

Anyway, again, this is a problem with some phones, not private computers.

My name is Roberto, and yes, I am not paranoid.

By the way, since buying an iPod with wifi, and downloading Apps, my rubbish "bin" email address has been inundated with spam! I am glad to see Apple keeping a vigilant eye on these things..

--------------------
www.bugiolacchi.com
Songwriter/guitarist

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #956577 - 01/12/11 11:47 AM
I just got this annoying email, really make me livid.

Note that in copy-pasting from Mail to Pages, the numbers listings have gone tits-up ... Does not inspire confidence; all apps and SL up-to-date.

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

J~P

Loc: The Netherlands
      #957525 - 06/12/11 02:18 PM
if you are using sound cloud, also try this:
http://www.gobbler.com/i/YAc9hf
25gb of free cloud based back-up / transfer services that also links with sound cloud. 25gb's...that's a lot of mp3's

XELATER

Loc: London, Scotland, Miami (Flori...
      #957614 - 07/12/11 12:24 AM
Still in SL..... Everything works fine for me... I am musician... not a robot (Zone 1 and 2) on a iPhone (or whatever new gadget is out there). I mentioned that before..when I am on the stage performing... I don't want to look like an idiot when the "little brother" crashes, just because somebody can't sort there [ ****** ] out and come up with an appropriate and decent software version of plug in or DAW in respect... Don't forget... we are still yet compromising quality because of the pressure to reduce CPU demands. If anything better comes that proves wrong, whether is a new system or plug in or whatever...then I am on board...

~Paul

Loc: South Herts/North London
Re: iCloud..... what a bloody stupid idea new [Re: XELATER]
      #957719 - 07/12/11 03:25 PM
Quote XELATER:

Still in SL..... Everything works fine for me... I am musician... not a robot (Zone 1 and 2) on a iPhone (or whatever new gadget is out there). I mentioned that before..when I am on the stage performing... I don't want to look like an idiot when the "little brother" crashes, just because somebody can't sort there [ ****** ] out and come up with an appropriate and decent software version of plug in or DAW in respect... Don't forget... we are still yet compromising quality because of the pressure to reduce CPU demands. If anything better comes that proves wrong, whether is a new system or plug in or whatever...then I am on board...

Eh.. What has this got to do with iCloud?
And for that matter, why have you reposted this exact same thing in another thread? It's scarcely relevant in either

--------------------
Paul

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 20944

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media