Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
beanbrain

Newbie advice new
      #956028 - 28/11/11 10:19 PM
Hi All,

Looking for some advice/direction.

I am not 100% if this is something that I want to do so have a small budget in mind but don't want to skimp if you know what I mean. I have a macbook pro and was looking into recording some vocals from myself and don't really know where to start. I want the ability to lay my vocals onto another artists music.

I have nothing other than the Mac at the moment so was hoping for some advice and guidance on what Microphone and what software to buy. I'm completely new to this but understand that getting the wrong mic of software can ruin any chance of enjoying it.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can give!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Will_m

Loc: Manchester
Re: Newbie advice new [Re: beanbrain]
      #956031 - 28/11/11 10:48 PM
Not sure what kind of budget you have but I'd look at getting a vocal/interface bundle. The basic kit I'd go for is:

An audio interface
Some decent headphones
A mic + cable + stand + pop shield
Recording software

Something like this might be a useful starting point:

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/focusrite-2i2-and-se-x1-recording-b undle--92183

You'd just need some headphones and recording software, some of the cheaper options are reaper or logic express. There are a range of free ones too, I'm sure somebody else can help you out here.

You might also consider a vocal shield like the se electronics reflection filter,this will help if the room you record in has poor acoustics.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

beanbrain

#956069 - 29/11/11 07:07 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Looks just the ticket for what I'm looking for at the moment.

Does anyone else have any other ideas before I commit to it?

Thanks

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #956087 - 29/11/11 09:17 AM
Will has covered all that you need. You should have Garageband on the Mac which covers the recording software. There are loads of low priced audio interfaces, the one Will has suggested is good. You can have a look around, but the simple requirement is that it has a mic pre-amp built in and if you are using a mic that requires phantom power, that it has phantom power as an option. You could get a dynamic mic such as an SM58 (phantom power is not needed), which can be used in the hand or with a mic stand and will record adequately enough (and last forever!). Steer away from ebay as there are lots of copies out there.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

beanbrain

Re: Newbie advice [Re: Richie Royale]
      #956258 - 29/11/11 08:16 PM
Lol who would have thought there was so much to think about for recording!!! Pay day is round the corner so will let you know what I went for.

Thanks once again ever so much for the advice. I was going to end up with completely the wrong thing and was probably going to look for it on ebay!!

Many Thanks

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2468

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media