Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Tristan Jove

Lightweight stick style electric guitar new
      #958272 - 10/12/11 12:39 PM
Hi y'all.
I am a singer who plays lead electric guitar, but not much rhythm or accompliment. For live work I want a very light, stick type instrument that I can throw over my back while I sing unencumbered, and then pull forward for my solos. I see that Steinberger make one, but this looks like a budget model, specifically designed for travelling.
Are there any quality models out there that anyone knows of?

I've just found the Steinberger SS-2F Synapse, this looks alright except that is doesn't have a whammy bar!

Thanks,
Tristan.

Edited by Tristan Jove (10/12/11 12:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
TheChorltonWheelie

Re: Lightweight stick style electric guitar new [Re: Tristan Jove]
      #958276 - 10/12/11 01:16 PM
Quote Tristan Jove:

Hi y'all.
I am a singer who plays lead electric guitar, but not much rhythm or accompliment. For live work I want a very light, stick type instrument that I can throw over my back while I sing unencumbered, and then pull forward for my solos. I see that Steinberger make one, but this looks like a budget model, specifically designed for travelling.
Are there any quality models out there that anyone knows of?

I've just found the Steinberger SS-2F Synapse, this looks alright except that is doesn't have a whammy bar!

Thanks,
Tristan.

That can't have the original trem then as the idea was that the cut-away back end was specifically for the Steinberger bridge (which had a trem). The Steinberger Spirit range was the best of that bunch, certainly better than the Hohner variety, and the passive EMG HZ pickups aren't too bad considering.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Lightweight stick style electric guitar new [Re: TheChorltonWheelie]
      #958283 - 10/12/11 01:59 PM
Let me first declare that I am not a guitarist!

Now that's over...

I have a blue, larger bodied 'Spirit by Steinberger' guitar that gets a lot of love from visiting guitarists, to the point where I've had several offers for it. I bought it because I was after one of the 'stick' type Hohner copies for ease of use in my diminutive studio, but this came up at the right price at the right time. It doesn't have much in the way of chunky low end, but it seems very playable - great for the money.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Octopussy

Loc: Melbourneo
      #958311 - 10/12/11 05:35 PM
Those stick style guitars can be every bit as heavy as regular guitars.

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
Re: Lightweight stick style electric guitar new [Re: Octopussy]
      #958313 - 10/12/11 05:44 PM
Quote Octopussy:

Those stick style guitars can be every bit as heavy as regular guitars.

As a singer / guitarist I also find the weight of the guitar has an impact on my singing. My Parker Dragonfly DF624 weighs in at 5lbs in old money which is 1.2lb less than the Steinberger. Unfortunately its also twice the price.

--------------------
www.Insideoutcheshire.co.uk

Octopussy

Loc: Melbourneo
      #958340 - 10/12/11 10:43 PM
It would be easy to design guitars that are neck heavy. There needs to be some weight to the body of a guitar just to counter balance it to sit right whilst performing. The Parker Nightfly design has taken some of the unnecessary weight from the headstock so that the body can weight less too. Smart design.

Tony Raven

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Re: Lightweight stick style electric guitar [Re: Tristan Jove]
      #958650 - 13/12/11 02:25 AM
Unsure whether it's the weight or the form-factor you're hoping primarily for. IME, lightweight solid-body guitars lose a lot of the resonance that gives sustain, not to mention richness of tone.

A couple years back, on a lark, I bought a Ministar:
http://ministarguitars.net/
My "Castar" checks in at maybe four pounds, a significant fraction of that from the two steel strap-rods -- personally speaking, these are too long, & you could readily chop off a few inches. The "Testar" is one pickup lighter, & the "Microstar" is a short-scale with one pickup.

The brand has suffered from being sold as a "travel" or "student" guitar. Actually, it's one of the better $200 electric guitars I've played, & can often be found closer to $100. The openwork headstock adds a surprising amount of acoustic resonance. Though the vibrato is... um, unique, it responds very nicely. The guitar plays & sounds good right from the box. Being one piece of wood, it could probably survive use as a bat -- cricket, baseball, or self-defense -- & still be ready for a gig.

Newer models add a pound with an onboard amplifier. While I like the idea for a warmup/practice axe, it strikes me as otherwise superfluous complication.

--------------------
resident troublemaker, http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4465

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media