Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
COPY OF: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!!
      #958817 - 22/01/11 07:47 PM
Copied by Max! at 09:23 on 13/12/2011
Comment:

I thought it time we had a sticky thread for people to post their favourite iDevice apps.....

Please State whether they're free or paid for, how much, and whether it's iPad, or iPhone specific, (and if you know, then whether it's iPhone 4 only or compatible with 3/3GS )

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
. . . Delete This
Here be Dragons

Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!! new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #958818 - 23/01/11 12:27 AM
since this thread is intended for users to post THEIR favourite audio iApps...

these are free and AFAIK for all iOS Devices

Decibel Ultra.
Chordbank
nLog Synth...
and a host of tuner apps.

and there's a little drum beats app from the same chap as Guitar tuner, that's quite good for practicing with instead of a metronome...

turbodave

Loc: derbyshire uk
      #958819 - 23/01/11 05:34 PM
Lyrica and web metronome

--------------------
My head hurts!

s_e_a_n

Loc: Kerry
      #958820 - 24/01/11 10:24 AM
This was a recent thread which covered quite a few...

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=884637& page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1#884637

--------------------
iMac 27", DP 7.2, Melodyne CRE8, Motu 828mk2

Michiel

#958821 - 24/01/11 10:30 PM
Korg iMS-20 (iPad only; €12.99 until 31/01/2011 double thereafter) is the coolest one I've so far got! Always wanted to own a real MS-20 when I was a lot younger.

franciskimberley

Loc: UK
      #958822 - 25/01/11 01:18 PM
I love my iPhone 3GS and as I've got flu (sympathy, please) I've had time to flesh out the list below. In no particular order here are some great musical apps for the iPhone. AFAICR they're all paid for and I don't know if any of them have iPad versions...:

ProChords - Put in a chord and it gives suggestions for what chord might sound good next in the progression. Can change the inversion and bass note. Fun and useful although the piano samples used are horrible!

Chordmaster/Scalemaster - Separate programs made by the same developer, give a fairly comprehensive encyclopedia of chords and scales, plus it gives finger positions for all scales/chords on a guitar fretboard. Strum the neck and you get audio demos of what they sound like as chords/scales or in individual notes.

Funkbox - Groovebox using samples from old and new classic drum machines - CR78, 909, 808, 606, Maestro Rhythm King MRK2, Korg ER1, Electron MD SPS-1. Program on a grid or play with virtual pads. Tempo, accent, swing and "random" parameters and you also get a basic level mixer. Also exports audio and then you can email to wherever. Probably my favourite music app because it's so easy to use and have a lot of fun with!

Sound Scope Space - Draw a waveform with your finger and then play the result on a pitch grid. Has an arp and a hold function as well as what appears to be an LFO with associated pitch and speed options (it's called a "Kuzmoscillator", apparently). Suprisingly useful results and a lot more fun than I've made it sound.

Bebot - Make a robot sing (literally) by dragging your finger around the screen - the horizontal controls the pitch and the vertical controls the filter cutoff/resonance (in all but one preset). Use tweakable presets and effects as well as different scale grids.

NanoStudio - A fully fledged sequencer, 4 synths, a drum machine with 3 outputs, mixer, effects... Massively deep and well worth the dollar. Like a decent home studio from the 1990s but in your pocket (and no audio recording, but you can't have everything).

Curtis Heavy - Made by the same people as Sound Scope Space - The Strange Agency. Record in through your phone mic and then treat it to some granular mashing. Limited in scope but good for making FX.

Dub Siren Pro - Reggae style DJ effects box with on/off switchable streaming radio stations and with 2 effect styles. Hold it vertically and you get a traditional dub siren with a choice of waveforms, pitch, speed, and depth controls. Hold it horizontally and you get an MPC style sample player with pitch controls. Both styles have a delay and two spinback samples. There are two versions of this software - "Dub Siren" is cheaper and you get just a few sample packs included with your purchase, "Dub Siren Pro" you get the vast majority of the available packs. All sample packs are available as IAPs for 60p. Worth the asking price just for the samples of Yellowman saying "Lordamercy" and "Bombaclaat"! Irie.

As of January 2011 I still think the iPhone has a long way to go before it can be considered a serious music making device although I've been told that it can be very useful when using more tool-y apps like a tuner or a meter etc... The iPad definitely has potential as a production device.

--------------------
www.hungrybearmastering.com
www.bookofsound.com

tomafd

Loc: uk
      #958823 - 25/01/11 03:02 PM
Reactable - tiddly version of the big expensive tabletop controller/synth/sequencer thingy. Don't really understand it yet but it's certainly making tube journeys more fun.
Six quid- ok, quite a lot for an app, but the real thing is thousands...

Bloom (Eno) - ok, we all know it (or most of us do) but instant ambient is always fun - Trope's not bad either. Two quid or so.

Mixtikl - more generative sample/loop manipulation madness, and another one I haven't found time to really get my head around yet. Seems to offer enough to do some seriously interesting things, though. 12 track generative music audio/midi loop mixer and cell sequencer - CD quality output, includes 100 generative 'parts' 30 loops, auto time stretching and pitch shifting, integrated wavetable synth etc. All for 3 quid.

Aura Flux - surprisingly nice and easy to use sequence generator for ambienty type things. Bit like Reactable in terms of interface but easier to use. Two quid.

--------------------
http://anotherfineday.bandcamp.com/ http://anotherfineday.co.uk http://apollomusic.co.uk

tomafd

#958824 - 25/01/11 03:06 PM
Oh yes - if you use Omnisphere there's Omni - their freebie app that lets you control parameters from your phone/pad.

and also TouchOSC - very mini Logic controller (fader, stop, start, kind of thing) Haven't tried it yet but heard good reports. Three quid.

--------------------
http://anotherfineday.bandcamp.com/ http://anotherfineday.co.uk http://apollomusic.co.uk

tomafd

#958825 - 25/01/11 03:11 PM
..... and .....

Soundrop.

Absolutely guaranteed to drive anyone near you crazy, if you leave the speaker on. Bonkers, lunatic, rhythms and sequences driven by balls dropping onto 'sticks' and then bouncing off more sticks. Insane, ludicrous, but kind of fun. Eventually you do get something useful, sometimes. Free.

--------------------

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #958826 - 25/01/11 07:01 PM
+1 for touchosc - this has the scope to be the best controller app for phone/pad/pod - the editor is the key here!

I like sounddrop as well - my students use it - they love to "trap" the balls!

technobox is quite good - like a rebirth i suppose -

dropbox is quite useful for smaller files

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Stonehousestudio

Loc: Exeter
      #958827 - 25/01/11 07:26 PM
Bebot paid. Fantastic synth

OSC paid. For controlling Logic, Ableton etc

SSW paid. Song writing tool

Guitar Toolkit paid. everything you need as a guitarist.

rondema

Loc: Birmingham UK
Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!! new [Re: franciskimberley]
      #958828 - 28/01/11 06:11 PM
Quote francobidanco:

As of January 2011 I still think the iPhone has a long way to go before it can be considered a serious music making device although I've been told that it can be very useful when using more tool-y apps like a tuner or a meter etc... The iPad definitely has potential as a production device.

You clearly give too much weight to what you are told. Think for yourself and realise that you aren't making any sense. Both iPhone and iPad are essentially the same platform with similar capability. iPad has more screen real estate, iPhone has built in mic and fits in your pocket. Both have constantly developing and awesome apps and interoperability - for music making from the ground up. You have NanoStudio, so you in fact already know this! Get well soon.

rondema

#958829 - 28/01/11 06:32 PM
[copied and edited from the NanoStudio thread, excludes generative apps that are also great, mainly focusing on ground-up production]

hardware:

iPhone 3GS 32gb, Blue Mikey 2 (also provides stereo line in)

recording and arrangement apps:

NanoStudio - 4 synths, drum machine, mixer, sampling, best £9 I've ever spent (works beautifully on iPad at x2 for now)
Looptastic Producer - for improvising and mashing loops from NanoStudio (iPhone, HD version for iPad)
FiRe field recorder (iPhone)
Fourtrack - for adding audio tracks to NS or LP arrangements (iPhone)
Ricepad - early days but seems innovative in it's operation (iPhone)

'instrument' apps:

Thumbjam - expressive and versatile instrument, the best I've used by far (universal)
Jasuto - modular synth madness (universal)
Curtis Heavy - granular destruction (also iPad dedicated version)
Moog Filtatron - as it says on the tin (iPhone)

Audio (loops and full length tracks) can be moved between apps using one of two audio copy/paste standards. Many apps allow audio to be shared via Souncloud, email etc. NanoStudio allows wav export of either sequencer tracks or mixer channels for use in your 'real' studio.

rondema

Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!! new [Re: rondema]
      #958830 - 28/01/11 06:45 PM
You can find out the prices for yourselves. None are more than two or three drinks at the pub. Putting this into context, it makes desktop software seem like an expensive joke - and I've thrown enough money down that avenue. Regular and free updates (from most developers, particularly Blip Interactive) direct to your device. Slick.

tomafd

Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!! new [Re: rondema]
      #958831 - 08/02/11 05:31 PM
Quote rondema:

Thumbjam - expressive and versatile instrument, the best I've used by far (universal)

+1 bloody excellent- first app I've tried that is, truly, 'expressive'. Dirt cheap at £3.99.

--------------------

un_quantized

#958832 - 25/06/11 12:18 PM
Good idea this thread.

Horizon Synth - iPad only I think £2.99, based on JP8000. Only spent a couple of short sessions with it so far but seems very nice, easy to use though ARP takes a bit of thinking about. A manual would be useful in this regard but there doesn't seem to be one.

No-one mention garageband? Pretty neat as a sketch pad for 2.99

Request - anyone using any of the song chord charts / set list programs? Seen a couple that look interesting, one from Yamaha one from music room, but not sure if either do everything I want:
1. Loads of accurate chord charts for well know songs, transpose function.
2. Ability to write set lists

--------------------
musics

Jack Is Sound

Loc: United Kingdom
      #958833 - 10/10/11 01:00 PM
great thread, going to be checking out some of the suggestions soon

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!! new [Re: un_quantized]
      #958834 - 10/10/11 06:01 PM
Both for iPad only.

Avid Scorch. If you use Sibelius it's great for displaying Sib files. I've used it to play concerts, and I'm going through and creating chord sheets using Sibelius and so far it's great!

Noteshelf. Simple handwriting tool, laid out in a notebook style with lined paper. Simply use your finger to write out things. Great for on the go chord charts, or performance notes from jams/sessions etc.

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Chevytraveller

Loc: London
Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!! new [Re: Dave Rowles]
      #958835 - 17/10/11 06:57 AM
New one out today

Animoog

69p(99c) for the first 30 days

an absolute steal

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #958836 - 17/10/11 09:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2-1zD2pJA

Native Instrument's iMaschine demoed by Jamie Lidell

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

space rabbit

Loc: planet earth , belgium
Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!! new [Re: Chevytraveller]
      #958837 - 17/10/11 09:08 AM
just downloaded the animoog as well : simply stunning !!!
top moog sound quality for 0,99$ ? .... ppppffffffff ......

--------------------
mac pro 8 core 2,33GHz , macbook pro 17" 2,4GHz , logic pro 9 , 828mkII , NI complete 5 , all spectrasonics , mackie control universal , genelec .........

~Paul

Loc: South Herts/North London
      #958838 - 17/10/11 01:37 PM
I bought Animoog, and I don't even have a sodding iPad!

Yet..

--------------------
Paul

space rabbit

Loc: planet earth , belgium
Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!! new [Re: ~Paul]
      #958839 - 17/10/11 06:35 PM
my sense of logic & deduction tells me you're about to buy an iPad very soon then ....

--------------------
mac pro 8 core 2,33GHz , macbook pro 17" 2,4GHz , logic pro 9 , 828mkII , NI complete 5 , all spectrasonics , mackie control universal , genelec .........

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #958840 - 18/10/11 11:52 AM
Just tried Animoog on a whim and it's a bundle of fun - quite an original take on the idea of a synth. Loving it at the mo...

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!! new [Re: Dave B]
      #958841 - 18/10/11 09:51 PM
Yes, I've just downloaded the Animoog and it's fantastic fun. Not a synth man myself, but I'm now desperate to incorporate this into my trad Irish music sets................................

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

s_e_a_n

Loc: Kerry
      #958842 - 19/10/11 04:59 PM
Check out DM1 as well - it's on special offer of $1 for this month - it's a great electronic drum.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dm1-the-drum-machine/id431573951?mt=8

--------------------
iMac 27", DP 7.2, Melodyne CRE8, Motu 828mk2

Janne M

#958843 - 22/10/11 11:48 AM
+1 on the Animoog!

It's really is an amazing instruments, very interactive and expressive.

After playing with it for an hour, I ran to Apples Feedback pages and suggested that they would implement a "Virtual USB Audio interface" in iOS.
So I could just plug it straight in to my Mac and it would appear as a USB interface in Logic, and I could record any audio out from the iPad/iPhone directly on to an audio track...

SVEA

Loc: Norway
      #958844 - 23/10/11 02:13 PM
+1 for Animoog - definitely the most fun I've had so far with an ipad synth, well implemented for the touch interface and at the current price an absolute steal!

edinburghmac

#958845 - 02/11/11 01:14 PM
I'll also give a +1 for Animoog.

Also of interest for the iPhone and iPad is Filtatron( from Moog as well) which is also $0.99/£0.69 at the moment ( http://www.moogmusic.com/products/apps/filtatron-99¢-limited-time-only ).

I'd also want to mention that Garageband ($4.99/£2.99) is now a universal iPad/iPhone app - haven't downloaded and tried the iPhone compatible app yet but love the iPad version - amazing to think you can run something that powerful from a mobile phone.

Paul Farrer

#958846 - 06/11/11 03:40 PM
Having got GarageBand for the iPhone I am now in the process of importing about 50GB of my Apple Loops into it for a total pocket studio. The App has no problem importing and working with standard Apple Loops also WAVs, MP3 and AIFFs which is cool. Has anyone heard of anyone managing to import GarageBand instruments (or EXS24) into it?

finesthollister2

#959936 - 20/12/11 10:42 PM
DM1 - This is a fantastically executed, beautifully laid out app. But more importantly it is a top notch musical instument. So many musical instrument apps have lots of features but are hampered by the inability to be actually played as an instrument.

Edited by Hugh Robjohns (16/08/14 09:18 PM)

lucartl

#967481 - 31/01/12 02:01 PM
Hi everybody,
I think I can say my bit because I have luckily tried most of them....not animoog tough...thing that I'm going to do soon after this.

I like beatmaker2, and Multitrack daw. My dream is to mix them together and have a Multibeatmaker daw app!
I know people is complaiming, maybe rightly so, of the souns in beatmaker, especially comparing them with nano studio, but you can sample any sound you want and edit them, anyway.

I would like to hear your opinion and discover if I am the only one with such a dream, and few others, but we can't talk about those here.
Regards
Luca

Edited by Hugh Robjohns (16/08/14 09:19 PM)

Wimek

Loc: Holland
      #970843 - 18/02/12 07:57 PM
At this moment my favorites are:

DM1 (great drum machine)
Fairlight Pro (It's nice to play with a close recreation of a machine that most of us could never afford)
Animoog (nice MMI, Moog sound)
Voice Synth (Vocoder app)
iMS-20
iElectribe
DXi (nice Yamaha DX-like app)
iMaschine (great for capturing beats)
GarageBand (great for composing ideas into a raw song. songs can be loaded into Logic afterwards)
OSC (for controlling my Mopho)

ezza

#979135 - 30/03/12 12:09 PM
Loopy is very immediate and very fun. Great for working up an idea quickly

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/loopy-hd/id467923185?mt=8

Negru Jay

Loc: Antwerp, Belgium
      #988820 - 21/05/12 09:54 PM
- Garageband
- iKaossilator
- Thumbjam
- Animoog
- iMS-20
- Cleartune
- Loopy
- SampleWiz
- VoiceSynth
- V-Control Pro
- Polychord
- StepPolyArp
- TouchOSC

Penda

Loc: UK
      #1048487 - 16/05/13 11:39 AM
Drumstudio - I've been looking for a mobile drum sequencer to use a a writing tool and this ticks all the boxes. There are a great range of accents available (ghost notes, flams, drags, heavy accents, cymbal chokes etc). The best feature for me is that you can have as many time signature and tempo changes per song as you like. I haven't found a signature it can't cope with, and you can select where the default accents are for each section. For the prog/fusion inclined this is the app feature I've been waiting for. It doesn't have a great range of kits, but as a writing tool it's fantastic.

Edited by Hugh Robjohns (16/08/14 09:20 PM)

table for two

#1115355 - 16/08/14 12:10 PM
Burp and Fart

My fave is wet fart

ManFromGlass

Loc: In the woods in Canada
      #1115374 - 16/08/14 05:59 PM
Last week I did a search of the istore for "fart". You would not believe the proliferation of ifart apps. Being adventurous I had to download a number of the free offerings and to my amazement, some allow you to change timbre, volume and pitch! In real time! Depending on your taste in music this would put those few apps into the realm of musical instrument! How exciting is that? But I won't hold my breath that we will be hearing these instruments on tunes on the radio any time soon . . . . . . . But then there is always EDM and it's quest for fatter bottom . . . . .

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 22273

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media