Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1

Joined: 11/10/09
Posts: 634
Loc: London, UK
What 'portable' treatment to suit student rooms at uni?
      #962454 - 07/01/12 07:53 PM
I've been hesitant to buy any acoustic treatment so far because I tend to move room each year at uni. However, because I'm continuing for a few more years I'd really like to spend a bit on a couple of panels/traps/foam that I can take with me each year. I was wondering what would be recommended as a staple 'starter' set.

I realise all rooms are different so this is almost a pointless question, but I also know any change will make a big difference (I occasionally hang my duvet behind me and even that makes an audible improvement!). This year, my room is quite small so I don't want anything too big/bulky. Is it best to begin with a bass trap or HF foam behind my head? The speakers are currently in front of the window so have curtains behind them.

Many thanks for the advice!

p.s. I've read a few Studio SOS articles but if there're any that directly address this issue please do send me a link...

Eastwood Records

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mike Stranks
active member

Joined: 03/01/03
Posts: 5495
Loc: Cirencester, UK
Re: What 'portable' treatment to suit student rooms at uni? new [Re: mjfe2]
      #962482 - 07/01/12 10:42 PM
I've just discovered "Hannibal Acoustics" who seem to do a good range of products which are an improvement on 'foam on a wall'. They advertise some of their thicker panels as being good for bass-trapping. Some of the panels come equipped with built-in hangers.

Caveat: I've yet to try these myself and, of course, other products are available - some of whose manufacturers give helpful advice on this forum.


The older I get, the better I used to be

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
active member

Joined: 03/09/03
Posts: 5798
Loc: Laputa
Re: What 'portable' treatment to suit student rooms at uni? new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #962720 - 09/01/12 10:19 AM
Without knowing more about the room(s) in question — particularly dimensions and positions of door(s) and window(s), it's kinda difficult to advise on what treatment for use with monitors is appropriate.

If it's for mixing/critical listening, rather than recording space, I'd strongly recommend investing in a seriously good set of headphones. That way, you'll take the various rooms out of the equation and have a consistent mix reference without having to re-learn the room every time. You also get to use smaller crappier rooms and therefore pay lower rent so they pay for themselves

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top

Joined: 11/10/09
Posts: 634
Loc: London, UK
Re: What 'portable' treatment to suit student rooms at uni? new [Re: Mixedup]
      #962725 - 09/01/12 10:30 AM
Thanks for the advice! I actually have a pair of HD600s (and DT770s), which I use regularly, but I'd still like to get *some* kind of treatment for checking things on speakers. Presumably nearly every small room is going to need some kind of bass trap, so it'd be good investment to make one of those? And is it safe to say most rectangular rooms are going to need at least one HF absorbing panel, or not? This year my room is a 10' x 12' rectangle but unfortunately I have to have the speakers facing down the 10' length. Apart from the window & curtains behind the speakers (do these help at all?!) the walls are just ordinary brick and plaster, with a wooden door behind me, to the right. Does that help at all?

Eastwood Records

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3523

June 2016
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for June 2016
DAW Techniques


Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help


Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26


We accept the following payment methods in our web Shop:

Pay by PayPal - fast and secure  VISA  MasterCard  Solo  Electron  Maestro (used to be Switch)  

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2016. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents.
The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media