Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
HollowAxis

Loc: London
Should I block monitor ports? new
      #963110 - 10/01/12 08:35 PM
So...
I purchased Mike Seniors book. (Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio)
Much of it I was aware of/had found out by myself.

For example, I have treated my room quite well (GIK Tri-Trap bass traps,GIK 242 Panels and some Auralex foam at first reflections)(GIK Soffit trap soon to be added). I have a couple of sets of okay reference headphones (Sennheiser HD280's + Beyer DT 880's). I have an Avatone Mixcube. I have taken room modes & various other things into account as much as I can. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the subject.

One thing I was completely unaware of was how ports on monitors can drastically twist what I hear.
I have a pair of KRK Rokit G5's positioned nicely on some good stands.
After reading the very beginning of Mikes book I went to my monitors and stuffed some cloth into the ports to see what difference would be made.

I'm a little freaked out by how much 'loss of bass' happens :/

How am I supposed to know if I should eliminate the ports by stuffing them, or leave them as they are? How can I figure out what will give me the most accurate response?
I realise this will be unique to each situation, but what can I look into to get a decent of idea of how my room is performing?

I have previously had to work in absolutely rubbish rooms with horrible equipment, now that I have the option to spend more on equipment I want to try get it as right as I can.
Different monitors won't really be an option right now (Unless I can sell some of my redundant mics etc )(Go buy some, I made ads) . Anyway....

Thoughts?
Better monitors? Or deal with what I have and stuff/don't stuff ports?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jeraldo

Re: Should I block monitor ports? [Re: HollowAxis]
      #963118 - 10/01/12 09:40 PM
I think the answer depends entirely on the monitors in question, and also depends on what you want from the monitors.

I recently purchased a very inexpensive and very small set of powered speakers that are receiving a certain amount of attention for a portable down market solution in some applications.

I could clearly hear some resonances, and came to the following conclusions:

1. Plugging the ports lost about 1/3 to 1/2 octave of the lower end, made the speakers a little less efficient, but made huge improvements in every other regard. (Reminder-this is very down market gear!)

2. Some of the resonances I heard were also heard on "real" and much more expensive monitors (even sealed cabinet ones)-but they seemed less obvious on these other monitors as the resonances were broader and thus a little less identifiable on these other monitors. It also seems that in my own case, the resonances were a part of the program material and were simply handled differently by different speakers. OTH, there are many speakers than bring their own resonances to any program material.

3. The position of small monitors makes a huge difference. Moving them a few inches from the lip of a surface or other little moves can change everything.

4. Ports can make a speakers behave quite differently at different SPL's, so that has to be taken into account as well. Generally, I find I need to play ported speakers a little louder than I'd like.

The advantages/disadvantages to plugging ports seem to be very situationally specific.

And a reminder of the caveat in my own case-the speakers were down market and were not intended for any sort of serious monitoring.

You could avoid the whole issue by getting sealed cabinet speakers....you'd have fewer options to entertain!

Or keep what you have and use them both ways. Why not?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1730

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media