Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
comets in caves

Mix feedback: new track here new
      #964151 - 15/01/12 09:50 AM
Hi guys, in the advanced stages of this one. Would love feedback on whether or not the mix and balances here work and translate across whatever your listening to this on ok--happy to hear any specific notes things you noticed positive or negative.
Thanks!
Adam

Miracle Tip

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Mix feedback: new track here new [Re: comets in caves]
      #964156 - 15/01/12 11:16 AM
A good start. I like the backing a lot.

But...

As the introduction comes to a close we're left anticipating the arrival of the vocal with some eagerness, but the dodgy performance and vocal tone is a bit of a disappointment. The high notes aren't being hit cleanly, which makes the performance less believable, and I'm just not getting the feeling that the singer is committed to the story.

The voice is buried back in the mix that it seems a bit shy to be heard, which doesn't feel right for the song. I'd say the vocal should demand our attention and be strong and proud - a Marilyn Manson 'LISTEN THE HELL TO ME!' sort of feel! Tonally the voice needs brightening too - a bit of aggressive distortion might help, but not until the performance can stand up without any production trickery.

I also feel the song could develop a bit more - maybe a breakdown, or at least something to remove us from the comfortable feeling that we know what's coming next. As it is, where the drums mute for a few bars, the rest of the backing just continues without challenging our expectation - it's just a bit too safe.

All just IMHO, of course.

HTH!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

comets in caves

Re: Mix feedback: new track here new [Re: The Elf]
      #964157 - 15/01/12 11:31 AM
Quote The Elf:

As the introduction comes to a close we're left anticipating the arrival of the vocal with some eagerness, but the dodgy performance and vocal tone is a bit of a disappointment. The high notes aren't being hit cleanly, which makes the performance less believable, and I'm just not getting the feeling that the singer is committed to the story.

The voice is buried back in the mix that it seems a bit shy to be heard, which doesn't feel right for the song. I'd say the vocal should demand our attention and be strong and proud - a Marilyn Manson 'LISTEN THE HELL TO ME!' sort of feel! Tonally the voice needs brightening too - a bit of aggressive distortion might help, but not until the performance can stand up without any production trickery.

I also feel the song could develop a bit more - maybe a breakdown, or at least something to remove us from the comfortable feeling that we know what's coming next. As it is, where the drums mute for a few bars, the rest of the backing just continues without challenging our expectation - it's just a bit too safe.

All just IMHO, of course.

HTH!

Wow that's amazing feedback thanks a lot for really giving that so much thought. I can see what you're saying about the vocals; also that's a really good point about the breakdown and expectations and playing it safe too, I can totally see that as well, maybe will try some different things there. Really fantastic feedback thanks so much!

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
Re: Mix feedback: new track here new [Re: comets in caves]
      #964468 - 16/01/12 10:06 PM
Nice Peter Gabriel yelps at 1'08

I also like the marimba-type sound and the ambiguity between major and minor.

I don't have anything useful to add to Elf's great analysis apart from I think it sounds a little soupy in the 400-1000 range.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
Re: Mix feedback: new track here new [Re: oggyb]
      #964480 - 16/01/12 11:19 PM
Quote oggyb:

I don't have anything useful to add to Elf's great analysis apart from I think it sounds a little soupy in the 400-1000 range.

I think the frequency balance issues go quote a lot further than that!

Ditto mix balance!

Ditto stereo balance!

Ditto performance issues!

Ditto arrangement issues!

It is also repetitive!

Did I say it is repetitive?

On the plus side if I ever wanted a pair of shoulder pads, I am sure this song would come with a pair included.

Now we can all be very nicey-nicey about this mix, but it is a million miles away from where it needs to be and until this guy gets a minimum of the kick, the bass and the vocal where they should be in the mix balance, it will stay a million miles away from where it needs to be.

Sorry, but somebody had to be the nasty guy.

Try listening to some reference material!!!!

Reg

--------------------
Google less; read more!

comets in caves

Re: Mix feedback: new track here [Re: oggyb]
      #964521 - 17/01/12 08:00 AM
Quote oggyb:

Thanks man, I"ll definitely revisit that frequency range you mentioned, really appreciate your thoughts!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1941

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media