Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
blackmagicdisco

Where is this snare drum from (as in machine or live drummer)
      #966740 - 27/01/12 02:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNLQAB-huo8

Ok, now I know its got the old gated reverb trick on there (and I know alot of you will cringe hehe) but is the snare from a drum machine and if so which one or is it from a live kit with the gated reverb applied? I get the impression it could be from someone on an electronic kit triggering a machine. Ive been trying it with Linn Drum snare and gated reverbs, but it doesnt sound quite right...
Oh also the Moog bass, is that a specific patch, ive programmed something pretty close for the tune im working on, but Ive heard this sound on lots of tracks of this era (Billy Ocean, Commodores etc etc) so wondered if it was a patch somewhere..

cheers,

Justin

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/blackmagicdisco

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jonnypopisical

Loc: London
Re: Where is this snare drum from (as in machine or live drummer) new [Re: blackmagicdisco]
      #966781 - 27/01/12 04:07 PM
Bass Sounds like a DX7 to me

Drums - drum machine - not sure which one or ones - Linn, DrumTrak - get the sample for them and see which sounds close...

--------------------
Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Re: Where is this snare drum from (as in machine or live drummer) new [Re: blackmagicdisco]
      #966782 - 27/01/12 04:15 PM
Not a Linn or DMX type snare. This says it was 86 which means that there were all kinds of machines out here that it could. It might help to find out who the remixer is of this 'club mix'. When I say 'not Linn' I do of course mean 'not a LinnDrum' - could well be a Linn9000 which took samples. Ditto the Emu SP12 (which was around that time). Assuming it's not a Fairlight of course..

I'd look for some deep, natural snare hits, then process them to kingdom come. Lots of compression, eq and gated reverb....

Bass sounds more like a DX7 bass - although a lot of people did layer them with something like a minimoog to get the weight of sound needed. Something like the FM7 plugin might be able to help there - or track down the real thing.

'Ang on ... just twigged something!! I knew I'd heard that kick somewhere - check out 'Boing Boom Tschak' by Kraftwerk. It's on the Electric cafe album and I'd swear that that track nicked the kick - and possibly the snare - from that.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Steve A

Loc: Edinburgh
      #966790 - 27/01/12 04:37 PM
I'd just like to add that there's nothing wrong with gated reverb on drums, never has been and never will be, and one day it'll make a comeback, you see if it doesn't.

--------------------
http://www.partyfearsthree.co.uk

blackmagicdisco

Re: Where is this snare drum from (as in machine or live drummer) new [Re: Dave B]
      #966799 - 27/01/12 05:08 PM
great info, cheers guys! yeah the original has the same sounds I believe, just alot more reverb on everything! I have a pretty huge Library of sounds, fairlight, SP12, linndrum 9000, plus a huge DX7 patch library for FM8, ill have a dig around...
Funny I hadnt considered the DX7 for the bass as it sounded a bit beefy for a DX, but I couldnt quite get the attack out of the Moog alone, so that an interesting technique to layer them. However, if anyone has a good idea what patch it is from what instrument, id love to know!

The Nu Disco scene which I release tracks in has some love for gated reverb on snare, checkout some of those Los Grandes re-edits, has the gated snare all over it and Nu-Disco attracts alot of hipsters, so in its own small way, its back in business

--------------------

blackmagicdisco

#966800 - 27/01/12 05:10 PM
oh and cheers for the Kraftwerk tip, could have just made my job easy

--------------------

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #966802 - 27/01/12 05:19 PM
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/rx5.php I reckon.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

blackmagicdisco

Re: Where is this snare drum from (as in machine or live drummer) new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #966803 - 27/01/12 05:20 PM
hmm, might be onto something with the RX5, I have samples for that too haha

--------------------

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
      #966809 - 27/01/12 06:14 PM
Here it is

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

blackmagicdisco

#966832 - 27/01/12 09:16 PM
wow thanks, did you sample it from one of their tracks?

--------------------

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
      #966861 - 28/01/12 03:37 AM
Yes. It was there, isolated, in the intro. Easy to snatch.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
      #966883 - 28/01/12 09:32 AM
Dubious!

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2149

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media