Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
ProximityProduction

Loc: Liverpool
Please be critical, mix feedback... new
      #967752 - 01/02/12 02:41 PM
So I'm working on this ATM: http://soundcloud.com/proximitystudio/puppeteer

I've been lost the ability to be subjective with it anymore, and while I have an ear break I thought I'd open up the floor to experienced bods.

I would very much appreciate some constructive feedback on what could be done with this mix/production to improve it. FWIW I recorded it in my bedroom w/ MB Pro, logic, Saffire Pro40, Rode NT5 pair, SE2200, AKG D11 and a handful of naff unbranded dynamic mics.

Would very much appreciate advice!

thanks

J

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jonnypopisical

Loc: Oakham
Re: Please be critical, mix feedback... new [Re: ProximityProduction]
      #967769 - 01/02/12 04:08 PM
Hi, Main issues are:

1. Timing between strumming acoustic guitar and drums / bass - just to messy

2. Vocals - need more compression and level to cut through the mix - also the timing and phrasing are too loose for me - At times it seems you have too many word to fit some lines!

Sort the above out and come back....

I like the general warm sound and ideas - just need some sorting out....IMHO

JP

--------------------
Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

ProximityProduction

Re: Please be critical, mix feedback... new [Re: Jonnypopisical]
      #967775 - 01/02/12 04:20 PM
Noted! Will get a chance to sort it out tomorrow morning and I'll post back up here when I have. Unfortunately the chap that sung it was adamant about the lyrics, will try and chop it around to fix phrasing though. cheers

Jonnypopisical

Loc: Oakham
      #967779 - 01/02/12 04:34 PM
Quote ProximityProduction:

Noted! Will get a chance to sort it out tomorrow morning and I'll post back up here when I have. Unfortunately the chap that sung it was adamant about the lyrics, will try and chop it around to fix phrasing though. cheers

Then I think you have a major problem - either he needs to re-sing it more in time or sack him!

JP

--------------------
Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #967780 - 01/02/12 04:51 PM
Quote ProximityProduction:

the chap that sung it was adamant about the lyrics

Unfortunately you do get this. The smart, experienced guys will listen and take criticism/suggestions in good part. Others simply won't.

You can always add/remove 'noise words' that will get the song's meaning across in a way that also scans with the melody. The lyrics here do sound a bit 'wordy' and that's OK, but he has to be able to deliver them - unfortunately he doesn't. He's struggling to fit a couple of lines and his pitching is a bit iffy in places too. It's a shame, because his voice is actually quite good when he's comfortable.

The crunchy backing vocals are, ahem... not very good. The idea is fine, but they need to be delivered by someone who can perform them. As it is they sound a bit naive.

You've made a decent recording and it sounds OK for what it is. Sure, it sounds a bit congested and bedroomy, but that's fine - it actually has a certain charm.

You could now spend weeks editing and tweaking this to perfection, but I'd say don't, Learn from what you've done and go onto the next song - you'll get better and better.

HTH!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ProximityProduction

Re: Please be critical, mix feedback... [Re: The Elf]
      #967835 - 01/02/12 10:36 PM
Quote The Elf:

You can always add/remove 'noise words' that will get the song's meaning across in a way that also scans with the melody. The lyrics here do sound a bit 'wordy' and that's OK, but he has to be able to deliver them - unfortunately he doesn't. He's struggling to fit a couple of lines and his pitching is a bit iffy in places too.

I'll get the scissors out and get melodyne running on overtime then, unfortunately he won't be around to rerecord the vocals anytime soon.

Quote The Elf:

You've made a decent recording and it sounds OK for what it is. Sure, it sounds a bit congested and bedroomy, but that's fine - it actually has a certain charm.
HTH!

In terms of this mix, how can I avoid the bedroomy sound? I'm thinking of getting rid of one of the acoustic guitars, with fresh ears they just sound like they're fighting each other and it should make it a bit less congested. Unfortunately as nice as it would be to just move onto the next one I want to get this sounding as good as it can be.

Thanks for the response

ProximityProduction

#967983 - 02/02/12 08:31 PM
VERSION 2

http://soundcloud.com/proximitystudio/puppeteer-v2

I've had a play round with the timing, hopefully its nicer on the ears now. Unfortunately I couldn't do anything with the vocal phrasing, I did try but since the lyrics are so bunched up it just covered it in horrible artefacts.
I've taken a few elements out to try and unclutter the mix too.

If anyone is willing to feedback on the mix I'd be very grateful!

Ta

j.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 1802

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media