Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
Using a Yamaha THR 10....
      #968205 - 04/02/12 02:25 AM
I am soon to record an electric rhythm guitar track, 60s Motown style, 2 & 4 backbeat chords sort of thing, and my guitarist wants to use his Yamaha THR 10. So can I safely presume that I can just mic it up using my small diaphragm condenser, Neumann KM183 ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Yamaha Guitar Develo...

Re: Using a Yamaha THR 10.... new [Re: Gone To Lunch]
      #968422 - 05/02/12 03:17 PM
Hi,

A KM183 should work well to mic the THR10 - in all honesty, a large-diaphragm mic might pick up the low end a little better from the ful-range speakers but with a little experimentation, it should work well - it does need a slightly different technique to a regular guitar amp. Do try the DI/USB output though as this sits pretty well in a mix.
One thing - if you're going to mic it, turning off the Extended Stereo Technology will help stop any phasing issues: either turn it off using the editor, or turn the DLY and FX controls to minimum and hold the tap tempo button for 10 seconds or so (until the sharp sign appears in the display). Just repeat the process to switch it back on.

Good luck!

Julian

Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
      #968442 - 05/02/12 06:29 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I am not a guitarist, so this area is new to me....

I also have a Neumann TLM 103 large diaphragm condenser, so I'll try that as well, maybe record from both just for my own sonic education....

I wonder also, could one record from the jack line out ? I can't use the USB as there isn't one on my interface, which is a MOTU 828 mk3, and my DAW is Digital Performer. That is, can I just use a balanced line out from the jack to the high-Z guitar jack on the 828 Mk3 ? Or would I need a special guitar lead ?

Yamaha Guitar Develo...

#968483 - 06/02/12 09:50 AM
Hi,

Personally, I think the TLM103 will have the edge, but try both - you should get a good result with one of them. I've heard some stuff recorded with an SM57 and it kind of works, but the character of the THR suits a big diaphragm mic really.

You can use the headphone out as a line out. You'll need a y-cable (std jack insert cable) and you should just go into the line inputs on your interface (the guitar input will have too much gain). The only thing to be aware of when you do this is that it will mute the THR's speakers - so you'll need to monitor it through your regular monitoring setup.

Do you have access to Cubase at all? We just recorded a demo video of recording an entire track with THR and I have a Cubase AI project file that has guitar parts recorded DI and using high-end mics that might be interesting...

Cheers,
Julian

newsense

Re: Using a Yamaha THR 10.... new [Re: Yamaha Guitar Development]
      #1032275 - 05/02/13 09:46 PM
Quote Yamaha Guitar Development:

You can use the headphone out as a line out. You'll need a y-cable (std jack insert cable) and you should just go into the line inputs on your interface (the guitar input will have too much gain). The only thing to be aware of when you do this is that it will mute the THR's speakers - so you'll need to monitor it through your regular monitoring setup.

I have tried the THRs headphone out as a line out into a number of other amplifiers (using line in, not the instrument inputs), but the sound is degraded by a whistling noise. This was mainly to try to get the excellent THR tones at gigging level. Any clues as to how this can be achieved and the whistling be avoided ?

Thanks

greenm01

#1090441 - 24/02/14 02:01 PM
Quote Gone To Lunch:

So can I safely presume that I can just mic it up using my small diaphragm condenser, Neumann KM183 ?

Why mic the the THR10 when the signal is already cabinet/mic compensated? The THR10 utilizes full range drivers, and is not similar to a traditional guitar speaker. Why not take the headphone/line output directly into a mixing board, or record direct injection (DI) into a DAW via the USB connector?

I've seen several YouTube videos of the THR10 being miced with an SM57 or e906, although I'm somewhat puzzled by the logic behind this...

CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Re: Using a Yamaha THR 10.... new [Re: greenm01]
      #1090451 - 24/02/14 03:14 PM
Quote greenm01:

Why mic the the THR10 when the signal is already cabinet/mic compensated?

What he says. That kind of modeling amps are made for direct recording - so just bring the line out to a mixer and you're set. Otherwise you'd need to disable the cabinet emulation and the mic emulation if there's one..

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

MH-417

#1093627 - 15/03/14 06:07 PM
Hi. I used the USB interface from the THR straight to my MAC. Abelton detected it. I got some decent sounds but the latency was pretty bad. I will try and tweek Abelton and Mac settings to see if I can fix the latency. I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten some good recordings in the same fashion but without the latency. Doing overdubs and layering becomes quite hard.

Perhaps I'd be better to split the headphone out of the THR and input into my Focusrite 2i4?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

DaveFry

#1093639 - 15/03/14 07:47 PM
Hi MH-417 ,
I use the THR10 with Cubase and Windows . By adjusting the buffer size in the asio driver control panel down to 64 samples it reports an input latency here of 4.286ms and an output latency of 5.283 ms , which is fine for me .
Hope that helps .

--------------------
Music is it's own reward .

miguelmarcos

#1100538 - 01/05/14 11:14 AM
Better a late response than never.

I pipe my THR-10 into Ableton. Adjusting the buffer size down to 64 samples works on my end. Still I pipe my signal from the THR-10 Phones output through a Behringer UCA222 into my Mac. I know some will consider this a horror but I love the simulations and effects in the THR and that's the cleanest way I've found to get the same signal into Ableton.

I sent Yamaha an email long, long ago requesting they open up the signal via USB so it does not depend on the Steinberg USB driver and non-Cubase users can take advantage of the THR easily (for example, piping the signal into my iPad if I'm on vacation. The THR-10, an ipad and a guitar makes for a nice, portable package). They just came out with an update a while ago, a nice one amp sim-wise, but it's missing universal USB output. Not only that, Yamaha even requires the Steinberg USB driver to be installed in order to update the THR. I think they're missing out on a bigger opportunity and audience out there.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 11331

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media