Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
yuriapt22

Loc: Russia, Moscow
Remastering new
      #968942 - 08/02/12 07:04 AM
Hi everyone!My friend asked me to remaster his 90s old master track but I've never done this before.
If somebody could help me with that I would appreciate it very much.I mean what plugins and its order I should use because I know it differs from general mastering and there are many options to hear from different people but I want to find my own way to do that referring to people answers.Thank you in advance.Best regards to everyone!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dave Blackman

Re: Remastering new [Re: yuriapt22]
      #968954 - 08/02/12 09:14 AM
Does your friend have the original mixes, or will you be working from the already "mastered" version? And why does your friend feel it needs remastering?

WRT processing chains, it's impossible to say. What do you feel the track needs, if anything? It's a bit like saying "my friend has a head ache - can anyone tell me the tools and process for performing a frontal lobotomy" when all that may be needed is a couple of paracetamol.

--------------------
www.hiltongrovemastering.com

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Remastering new [Re: yuriapt22]
      #968958 - 08/02/12 09:26 AM
This is a bit a like saying 'a friend wants me to style their hair - how should I do it?'!

It's not the kind of thing anyone can tell you to do over a forum. It depends on the source material and what your friend wants doing with the material. Which tools you use, what order you chain them in and how you use them is dependent on the answers to those questions.

Maybe you could post a typical exanple so that the mastering experts here can form an opinion?

'Re-mastering' also implies that you have access to the un-mastered originals. Is this the case?

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Remastering new [Re: The Elf]
      #968966 - 08/02/12 09:37 AM
Quote The Elf:

Maybe you could post a typical example so that the mastering experts here you can form an opinion?

^^^that.

Impossible to say without hearing it.

FWIW, if you've not done this before, then you're probably not the right person for the job, though by all means give it a try.

yuriapt22

Loc: Russia, Moscow
Re: Remastering new [Re: The Elf]
      #968986 - 08/02/12 11:22 AM
Thanks for answering.There are no original tracks just original mastered track done a long time ago.I think to do nothing to have no headache.Thanks again.

Red Mastering

Loc: London
Re: Remastering new [Re: Dave Blackman]
      #968990 - 08/02/12 11:36 AM
Quote Dave Blackman:

Does your friend have the original mixes, or will you be working from the already "mastered" version? And why does your friend feel it needs remastering?

WRT processing chains, it's impossible to say. What do you feel the track needs, if anything? It's a bit like saying "my friend has a head ache - can anyone tell me the tools and process for performing a frontal lobotomy" when all that may be needed is a couple of paracetamol.

lol:)))
you forget to add -'and I am not a doctor', so this will be my very first lobotomy, should I open my patient from right to left or from top to bottom??:))
If I were a patient I'd choose living with headache then certain death

--------------------
online mastering

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Remastering [Re: yuriapt22]
      #968994 - 08/02/12 12:13 PM
Quote yuriapt22:

Thanks for answering.There are no original tracks just original mastered track done a long time ago.

Then you need to understand what problem you're trying to fix from the previous mastering. What you're doing here is not 're-mastering' and could not simply be approached using a 'normal' (whatever that may be) chain of gear or techniques.

Give the guys here an example and see what they have to say.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2346

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media