Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Persuazion

Loc: Scotland
Any good (free would be nice) Auto Double Tracking plugs? Mac. Old G5. new
      #969298 - 09/02/12 03:42 PM
Yeah... Basically what the title says...

There's nothing like the real thing. I've got a few tricks up mi sleeve, as I'm sure we all do, for mock doubling, but I hear there are pretty good plugs?

EG... Today, the artist just couldn't match up any takes well enough, it's just a rough demo he's after so I would (grudgingly) use a quick fix plugin if it did the job.

As I say, Mac G5, Logic 8.

Any tips?

Cheers all!

--------------------
http://www.loverslanestudios.co.uk

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dunc off of moos

Loc: Cheltenham, UK
Re: Any good (free would be nice) Auto Double Tracking plugs? Mac. Old G5. new [Re: Persuazion]
      #969300 - 09/02/12 03:51 PM
Hi,

There are plugs but I use logics own processers - any daw will do.

Send Voc channel to 2 buses
Delay one say 8ms the other 10ms. Mix 100 wet
Pan one hard left, one hard right
I use a pitch shifter on each and adjust a couple of cents sometimes but not always.
Blend the sends with the original voc channel to taste.

I have this in my start up template I use it so often on pop vocals.

Cheers
D

--------------------
"insert witty comment about drummers or hob-nobs"

Mick DeBollix

Loc: Ireland
Re: Any good (free would be nice) Auto Double Tracking plugs? Mac. Old G5. new [Re: Persuazion]
      #969303 - 09/02/12 03:58 PM
There's Vacuumsounds ADT ...

--------------------
I really should change my forum name...

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
Re: Any good (free would be nice) Auto Double Tracking plugs? Mac. Old G5. new [Re: Mick DeBollix]
      #969323 - 09/02/12 05:23 PM
You probably already have the tape delay plugin, IIRC it has an ADT preset. If not: use its filter to roll off above 10kHz or so, delay time 10 to 50ms, and apply a touch of slowish modulation to emulate the wow and flutter of the tape machine. If you want a Beatles effect, don't pan it just balance it so it ghosts the original vocal. Magic. Well actually with the Beatles one, the "delayed" signal was ahead of the original vocal, but that doesn't make a big difference to how it's perceived.

Any delay that has a filter and delay time modulation can be set like this.

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

Billum

Loc: London
      #969366 - 09/02/12 11:52 PM
+1 for VacuumSounds ADT, which definitely has a Mac version.

http://www.vacuumsound.de/plugins.html

Edited by Billum (09/02/12 11:52 PM)

Exalted Wombat

#969371 - 10/02/12 12:23 AM
Quote Persuazion:

There's nothing like the real thing. I've got a few tricks up mi sleeve, as I'm sure we all do, for mock doubling, but I hear there are pretty good plugs?

EG... Today, the artist just couldn't match up any takes well enough, it's just a rough demo he's after so I would (grudgingly) use a quick fix plugin if it did the job.

What job do you want it to do? I double (triple) track because it covers up tuning problems. It used to surprise me how vocalists who couldn't sing in tune nevertheless had no problem coming up with repeat performances that match up almost perfectly. Now I almost take it for granted!

But if you've come up against one who's inconsistent, what will mechanical double-tracking achieve other than reinforcing the blemishes?

Persuazion

Re: Any good (free would be nice) Auto Double Tracking plugs? Mac. Old G5. new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #969376 - 10/02/12 01:32 AM
It's rapping. Should have said that. So it's all timing issues. Can't repeat the same rhythm twice! So ADT would be just the job.

I do plenty work arounds, including Multing to melodyne, delaying, modulating etc, etc... Got channel strips saved specifically for my 'mock' ADTs but wouldn't mind a plug I could just slap on.

I couldn't check in today so I'll have a look at the linked plug tomorrow.. Sounds promising.

Any others?

--------------------

Edited by Persuazion (10/02/12 01:33 AM)

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #969391 - 10/02/12 08:47 AM
I record rappers often and usually just nudge back ups into time if they are out. I've only had one rapper who couldn't back themselves up, but even then I used cuts from earlier takes and the dodgy back up and nudged them into place.

If you do use some form of ADT, I would probably edit it to only back up select points, unless you want the 2Pac sound with the entire verse doubled.

Ideally you would make the rapper do it until he could get it on point, but I understand if you don't have all the time in the world to get the performance as it should be.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Tomás Mulcahy

#969442 - 10/02/12 11:32 AM
ADT would sound very odd with a rapper I think. There is a c. £1000 plugin I can't remember the name of, which is used in post for ADR. It automatically lines up one phrase with another... if you want to do it quickly, you could try the audio quantise in Logic?

--------------------
madtheory creations

Exalted Wombat

#969449 - 10/02/12 11:50 AM
Quote Persuazion:

It's rapping. Should have said that. So it's all timing issues. Can't repeat the same rhythm twice! So ADT would be just the job.

I do plenty work arounds, including Multing to melodyne, delaying, modulating etc, etc... Got channel strips saved specifically for my 'mock' ADTs but wouldn't mind a plug I could just slap on.

But you haven't answered my question. What is double-tracking meant to achieve? Particularly with a rapper? It certainly won't make the words clearer!

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #969458 - 10/02/12 12:13 PM
It adds body, but as I said before you are better off with another take as most back ups in rap add a bit more character to the main vocal and punctuate the 'punchlines'.

If the rapper can't match his own rap, make him do it until he can. If it takes 20 takes, then so be it.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #969469 - 10/02/12 12:53 PM
The answer to the OP is Reaper, the effect is - JS Stillwell Ozzifier. You can record slowly in Reaper and then speed it up a bit to get those mega-fast raps and the Ozzifier will double, treble or whatever you need (up to six voices) without all that mucking about with 20 takes!

And ReaTune will do all your harmonies!

Now your customers can sound like Busta Rhymes!

Persuazion

Re: Any good (free would be nice) Auto Double Tracking plugs? Mac. Old G5. new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #969512 - 10/02/12 05:01 PM
Thanks folks! Just to be clear... I have recorded a few rappers in my time with proper budgets ... This is just a young chap doing a demo. My reasons are simple... He wants 'that' sound. He really couldn't repeat the same thing twice (inc lyrics). So mocking it up for him is the easiest way. All done now anyway with Melodyne, delays and some chopping. As I say though, it would be nice to have a simple plug I could slap on for these emergencies. Didn't get a look at the linked one, will do at some point I'm sure.

Cheers all.

--------------------

JamesSimpson

#969689 - 11/02/12 11:38 PM
Get him to quad track it, emphasizing the appropriate words.

Vocalign go down to seperate words if you need to.

I love vocalign.

--------------------
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Tomás Mulcahy

Re: Any good (free would be nice) Auto Double Tracking plugs? Mac. Old G5. [Re: JamesSimpson]
      #969860 - 13/02/12 11:03 AM
Quote JamesSimpson:

Vocalign

Thanks! That's the one. Probably one of the oldest plugins still in use.

--------------------
madtheory creations

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4203

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media