Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
nathanscribe

Loc: Yorkshire, by 'eck.
Logic automation glitching new
      #969995 - 13/02/12 09:03 PM
EDIT OF ORIGINAL POST AFTER PROBLEM PART-SOLVED.

I've been getting glitching (a 'pop') on Logic's automation - particularly when automating gain of the channel EQ. Even when there's only one track and one band of EQ switched in, Logic seems to have trouble with the first automation node on the line. No other nodes cause trouble, and the placing seems irrelevant. CPU grunt is minimal according to the meter, and these are files that are already pre-recorded audio. No other plugins are in use on that track, and other tracks muted. I managed to get one good take this evening, so all is well, but if anybody knows what causes this kind of problem, I'd be glad to know.

It also glitches when that track is frozen, which suggests to me there's something wrong with the way Logic process things, rather than my system being incapable.

--------------------
my nerdy synth tech blog

Edited by nathanscribe (13/02/12 09:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Logic automation glitching new [Re: nathanscribe]
      #970199 - 15/02/12 02:16 AM
Just on that audio part, or does it does this on any audio track?

Moving where the automation point kicks in, does that change anything?

nathanscribe

Re: Logic automation glitching new [Re: desmond]
      #970224 - 15/02/12 10:49 AM
Well it's the first time I've tried automating EQ parameters, but it's doing it on any track I try it on - and moving automation points doesn't change things.

I ended up hiding and muting all other tracks (though it's a small project with only 5 audio tracks) and even had to mute a stereo mixdown (recorded via audio, not bounced in the box) while recording - with only the three automated tracks running in real time, it worked.

Not happy though, if it's going to faff about like this it cuts out a lot of potentially useful processing.

I'm running a 2007 iMac Intel Core 2 Duo with 2.5GB of RAM which I know is old now, but generally can work trouble-free at quite low latencies, and this is the first time I've had bother with automation. Volume automation can run on a whole bunch of tracks simultaneously, but this EQ glitch seems hell-bent on grumbling when it first kicks in. It seems to be the change from 0dB that does it, but I might be wrong. Using non-automated EQ is not a problem, and I've run multiple plugins before with no bother. Could just be a bug.

--------------------
my nerdy synth tech blog

desmond

Re: Logic automation glitching new [Re: nathanscribe]
      #970230 - 15/02/12 11:19 AM
Can you get by with automating a gain plugin after the EQ, rather than automating the EQ gain parameter, if that's causing issues for you for some reason?

Or are you talking about the individual EQ band gains?

Also, what version of Logic are you using?

Edited by desmond (15/02/12 11:52 AM)

nathanscribe

Re: Logic automation glitching [Re: desmond]
      #970280 - 15/02/12 02:43 PM
Logic Express 9.whatever. Latest incarnation.

The automation is a single band of the regular channel EQ, at 200Hz, with all other bands switched off. It was just a case of dipping that band at times when it was getting a bit honky, for want of a better word - but without cutting it all the way through the track.

I suppose I could turn a knob on my mixer, but I reckoned automation is there for a reason...

--------------------
my nerdy synth tech blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2345

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media