Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
JM-1

Power Supply Question new
      #970758 - 18/02/12 09:35 AM
All the pedals on my board are 9volt DC regulated, except one which requires a 12 volt un-regulated (or an 18volt regulated) supply. The pedal's current draw is 35mA at 9VDC.

From the manufacturer's website:

An un-regulated +12V AC to DC adapter rated at 500mA is required based on the following: The ETHOS provides filtering circuitry that removes the noise (60 Hz Ripple) from typical AC to DC unregulated power adapters. This filtering circuitry develops a voltage drop across it, so the adapter voltage becomes +9VDC by the time it reaches the ETHOS analog circuits. Additionally, an unregulated +12VDC supply (not a regulated supply) is required due to the fact that it actually outputs 15 to 16 volts with the ETHOS load. This higher voltage provides the adequate headroom for the ETHOS to operate correctly. Using a +9VDC AC to DC external adapter will result in poor ETHOS performance.

I found this: http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/diago-9v-to-18v-adaptor-1169-p.asp

It seems to be usable with a 9v daisy chain, and will increase voltage from 9v to 18v, maximum current output 30ma.

From my elementary electronics it should work since, at 18volts, 17.5ma should be adequate for the pedal, so this actually gives me 12.5ma reserve current draw (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Yet the manufacturer seems to be quite keen on maximum headroom (they supply a 12V unregulated adapter with 500 ma).

This adapter would however, simplify the power supply to my pedal board. Expert advice most appreciated.

Edited by Jay Menon (18/02/12 09:37 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
4TrackMadman

Re: Power Supply Question [Re: JM-1]
      #970772 - 18/02/12 11:05 AM
Jay - what about the 9v adapter - does that power the 12v effect in question? Might want to try that, I don't think there'll be any harm done. I recently used 9v adapter on a 12v pedal and had no trouble , I guess difference in current wasn't that big or they went up in specs just to be on the safe side.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

fletcher

Loc: london
Re: Power Supply Question new [Re: JM-1]
      #970774 - 18/02/12 11:47 AM
Just to be clear, is the current draw of the pedal from the manual, or did you measure it? It's just that seems a lot less than what they are saying you need the power supply to be capable of. I mean 500mA needed for a 17mA pedal!

JM-1

#970858 - 18/02/12 10:10 PM
I'm thinking - if the current requirement is 35ma, then wouldn't that amount of current be required irrespective of what voltage comes in to play...?

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #971547 - 22/02/12 05:20 AM
The actual current draw of the pedal is immaterial so long as the DC suppy can deliver about 16volts at a few tens of mA. A "12 volt" 500mA supply is specified probably because that equates to a 6va ish transformer and mains traffs don't really get much smaller! Also a 12/500mA supply fits in with their dynamic re the onboard regulation.

There is likely a polarity protection diode in the line so that is a loss of ~0.7V then a 78style regulator needs at least a 3volt, better 5volt differential so that soaks up the 15-16volts input stated.

A 12volt regulated supply, best a SMode type should be ok but there is a chance that the regulator in the pedal would dropout or be a bit unstable. Simpler to just go with a bog standard unregulated 12volt supply.

It really is about time manufacturers standardized on 12 or 24 volt regulated supplies at X amps DC i.e. multiples of 12volt sealed lead acids. Getting any other internal voltages pos or negative is now beer into water.

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3208

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media