Main Forums >> User Reviews
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new
      #969585 - 11/02/12 10:33 AM
I have to say that my Sony 7509s were one of the worst purchases I ever made. They are very poorly built and sound tubby and vague. The ear cushion required constant attention to keep it attached to the ear cup and the short-ish curly cable was a liability.

They finally gave up the ghost last week when the plastic swivel mount broke, leaving one cup loose. I bought these new and they've only lasted me around 6 months. I feel these served me like a pair of 20-quid cans, but I paid a whole lot more for them. In all I was very dissatisfied with both their sound and build quality.

I know some poeple like these cans, but for me - never, ever again.

I just took delivery of my new Sennheiser HD215 and I'm reasonably impressed. The cups feel a bit thin plastic-y, but they seem solid enough, the cushions look like they'll stay put, and the cable is a decent length.

Like all closed-back phones I've used these sound a little tubby, but no more than the 7509s. In fact I just checked a mix and was alerted to some sub-40Hz activity I needed to address! Not bad at all. There's nothing like the depth and detail of my beloved AKG K701, but I neither expected it, or need it - these are mt cans for monitoring while we're tracking vocals in the control room.

Not an extensive review, but sufficient to help guide anyone who is travelling a similar path. I'll report back in a few weeks to give my impressions of the HD215 after more extensive use.

Hope that helps someone, somewhere!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new [Re: The Elf]
      #971182 - 20/02/12 03:26 PM
I'll take them off you.

The Elf

Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 [Re: ]
      #971183 - 20/02/12 03:31 PM
I cut off the cable and binned them I'm afraid. They were beyond repair.

--------------------

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #971186 - 20/02/12 03:43 PM
Quote The Elf:

I have to say that my Sony 7509s were one of the worst purchases I ever made.

I've not tried the HD version recently, but I use the original 7509 quite regularly and find them very acceptable for working on location. Mine are probably about 7 years old now and still going strong, looking and sounding hardly any different from when they were new.

I certainly wouldn't agree that they are poorly built, and while all closed back phones tend towards tubbiness, I found the the 7509s pretty good in that respect and better than any other closed phone I've tried with the exception of the Sennheiser HD25. Can the subsequent HD version really be that different in build quality? I didn't think so when I last tried a set a year or two ago?

I've never had a problem with the ear cushion falling off the cup either, and the curly cable is plenty long enough for me and preferable in many situations over the long straight cables of other headphones that tend to get caught up in wheeled chairs and around the ankles!

Strange that our experiences are so radically different... but I do share your appreciation of the AKG K701/K702.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

The Elf

Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #971187 - 20/02/12 03:51 PM
I appreciate I may just have had a rogue pair.

The ear cup surround just wouldn't stay in place, having been made too large for the cup and the plastic mounts were made of very brittle plastic - like a child's toy. When I opened them up to see if a repair was possible I was dismayed to see how poorly made they were.

If anyone has any 7509HD that match my description I'd be interested to know. If some dodgy copies are doing the rounds it would be good to know! I must admit it has me wondering if I bought a fake pair! I did ask this very question here when I first received mine - they seemed just too cheap and nasty for the money.

--------------------

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #971332 - 21/02/12 09:46 AM
It isn't unknown for early production runs of a product to be built a little more carefully than later runs and review samples are often from these early runs.

My experience of Sony headphones is that they don't stand up to studio life as well as similarly priced Sennheisers - though I've not used the 7509's.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #971864 - 23/02/12 04:11 PM
I've just got a pair of 7509HD's - arrived this morning. I have to admit being worried when this thread turned up, having already paid for them! (As usual it's damn hard to try before you buy, so I was trusting the SoS review of them. Although I did get them cheap, which is always nice.)

I wouldn't say they're too cheap and plasticky. Obviously they *are* plastic, but the swivel arms feel fairly tough, and they attach to a metal shell on each cup. If you twist them around then they creak as any plastic things do, but they feel like I'd have to really crunch them to actually do damage.

Like many headphones, the foam ear pads are fairly easy to remove. Unless you've got pads that are clamped in place, there isn't really a way around this. If you keep them in the carry bag, though, I wouldn't think they'd escape on their own though.

Cable is a coily one, but it seems to naturally be a little under 2m long (if I stand up with the cans on, the end of the lead is just shy of the floor) which should be enough movement for most things I'd need.

I haven't had a chance to do any serious listening with them - only a few songs on my work PC. But first impressions...

Main thing is, they're loud. I SAID, THEY'RE LOUD! Beware of the volume control! Initial impressions of the sound is that they seem a bit heavier on the bass than I'm used to - I'm not sure I'd say boomy (definitely not one-note wonders), but I might need to take them off for fine-tuning bass and kick balance. They don't seem hyped at the higher end, and the mid-range seems to come through clearly. I can see why Mike Senior said he'd want a second opinion for how much reverb to add, though - it does feel like there's more reverb on things than you'd hear if you listened on something else. I'm a little wary that this is them flattering the sound a bit, which isn't really what I want when I'm trying to sort out the mix on a gig.

I don't know yet how well they seal against gig-level noise, but I do know that I couldn't hear a colleague trying to get my attention until he walked in front and waved, and I didn't have the level too far up.

Got a gig next week, so I'll see how they go.

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new [Re: James Perrett]
      #971867 - 23/02/12 04:33 PM
Quote James Perrett:

It isn't unknown for early production runs of a product to be built a little more carefully than later runs and review samples are often from these early runs.

It's a nice idea... but not in my experience. I've had more ropey review products than I care to think about. You'd think manufacturers and distributors would take extra care knowning a product was going to a reviewer, but it seems to rarely be the case!

My own MDR7509s were purchased with real money from a distributor and were taken randomly from stock. I can see where the comment about standing up to studio usage comes from, though. I guess I always handle my own stuff with care, rather than 'style'

hugh

--------------------

The Elf

Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new [Re: grab]
      #971909 - 23/02/12 08:00 PM
Quote grab:

I wouldn't say they're too cheap and plasticky. Obviously they *are* plastic, but the swivel arms feel fairly tough, and they attach to a metal shell on each cup.

Interesting. Mine were plastic on plastic. No metal anywhere.

It really does have me wondering...

--------------------

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #971919 - 23/02/12 08:48 PM
Does this help?:

Unboxing Genuine Sony MDR7509HD

Mike

The Elf

Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #971921 - 23/02/12 09:09 PM
Quote Mike Stranks:

Does this help?:

Mike

Yes it does! Thanks Mike.

That guy mentions 'Aluminium' (although, like all Americans he seems to find the second 'i' invisible!) on the back of the ear-cup. Mine were completely plastic.

I reckon I bought fakes!

--------------------

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
      #971939 - 23/02/12 11:14 PM
Quote The Elf:

I reckon I bought fakes!

I hope you didn't get them from a dealer?

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #971975 - 24/02/12 09:43 AM
Quote The Elf:

Quote Mike Stranks:

Does this help?:

Mike

Yes it does! Thanks Mike.

That guy mentions 'Aluminium' (although, like all Americans he seems to find the second 'i' invisible!) on the back of the ear-cup. Mine were completely plastic.

I reckon I bought fakes!

That's a bummer, Elf. These fakers eh? What will it be next?

Actually, my contacts tell me that the market is about to be flooded with fake Hugh Robjohns's. However, I think we'll easily spot these as I hear that the fakers are having trouble getting the right shade of pink for the sweater. (Sorry newcomers; old "in" joke!)

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #972000 - 24/02/12 11:11 AM

Ee-gads!" My wife's worst nightmare ... a world full of me!

Hugh

--------------------

grab

Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #972020 - 24/02/12 12:30 PM
I sense a film script - "Being Hugh Robjohns".

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new [Re: grab]
      #973206 - 29/02/12 10:19 PM
Quote grab:

I sense a film script - "Being Hugh Robjohns".

Or "Robojohns"?

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #973482 - 01/03/12 10:07 PM
Never tried those Sennheisers but the HD-25 is one of my fave closed back cans only thing I really hated about them was the short leads on the old ones, I think the new ones now come with a longer lead.

grab

Re: Swapped my Sony MDR7509HD for Sennheiser HD215 new [Re: Kwackman]
      #973538 - 02/03/12 10:00 AM
"I, Robjohns"

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 9021

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media