Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
johnny h

Re: Mountain Lion [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #971292 - 21/02/12 12:10 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Sure. But progress towards WHAT? Apple have discovered and developed a huge market for a fully inegrated iWorld with all the gadgets sharing entertainment media (with suitable DRM, of course) and a full selection of easy-use applications at the GarageBand and iMovie level. By restricting choice they can, to an extent, make it all "just work". Why waste resources elsewhere? Would you?

That's a nothing statement.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Aftertouch

Re: Mountain Lion new [Re: Will_m]
      #971294 - 21/02/12 12:16 AM
And whilst everyone was up in arms about fcpx, some pro editors were busy doing business with it.

7 pro editors share their fcpx editing experiences

An insight from people who actually used it.

Will_m

Loc: Manchester
Re: Mountain Lion new [Re: Aftertouch]
      #971297 - 21/02/12 12:56 AM
Quote Aftertouch:

And whilst everyone was up in arms about fcpx, some pro editors were busy doing business with it.

7 pro editors share their fcpx editing experiences

An insight from people who actually used it.

Even in the opening paragraphs there is much said about it being a somewhat closed experience:

"Since you are reading this on Philip Bloom’s blog, you are likely one of these media ‘master of all trades.’ Shooter, editor, mixer, colorist. You also likely know that last summer there was an earthquake in the non-linear editing world. What many had expected to be a long overdue update to Final Cut Pro, ended up being a full-scale application rewrite with a completely new interface – and many missing features. The feedback from editors was overwhelmingly negative. We editors aren’t exactly known for our sunny dispositions to start with but with FCP X, Apple unleashed a hornet’s nest of professional users who understandably felt confused and betrayed."

I'm not sure how finding 7 users who do like some of the features means that all the negatives and concerns are unfounded. The article also says that apple beta tested FCPX and despite feedback on lack of pro features went ahead anyway, again this just seems like telling the customer what they want.

"Despite feedback on their beta program for FCPX, Apple released their software without some of the pro features – OMF, Broadcast Monitoring and Edit to Tape functions."

At the end of the day it just depends on how you work, some editors have switched to premiere or avid, some stayed with their current version and others have upgraded. The topic was merely meant to start a discussion on the direction of music making, some have engaged and some seem rather defensive. I can see the benefits of an all-in-one solution but some things are just better shared, or at least given the option to.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

Aftertouch

#971346 - 21/02/12 10:13 AM
I see your point William. I just found it interesting that these seven and many other editors, who really gave fcpx a chance, found that although lacking in many areas (most of which already addressed in three timely updates), the world hadn't caved in and fcpx actually offers editors far more than what the naysayer had made out.

desmond

#971350 - 21/02/12 10:19 AM
Quote Will_m:

I'm not sure how finding 7 users who do like some of the features means that all the negatives and concerns are unfounded.

We get your point, and it has merits as we have discussed. Some of us here have suggested the situation, from those of us invested in FCP with personal experience, isn't perhaps all quite as negative as the picture you painted, and explained why and gave you some links to positive feedback to back that up. Many of the things not implemented have now been implemented and the situation will improve I'm sure as the software matures. It's not perfect yet.

Logic 1 also didn't implement a lot of features that the previous Notator SL had - you just cannot do everything at once. However, look at where Logic has got to...

But we're now going around in circles, retreading the same ground, so let's not both repeat our points again, eh..?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 13368

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media