Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
DMX controllers - cheap and easy to use? new
      #971619 - 22/02/12 12:55 PM
Can anybody recommend a cheap and easy to use DMX controller, please!

It can be hardware or software with box. I don't care, just as long as I do not need to spend weeks learning how to use the damn thing and it can be used quickly to set up a specific lighting set for video shoots, without having a Ph.D. in light programming!

It is 'just' for studio lighting - we have 24 PAR cans on DMX dimmer bars, two 1.2kW scanners and four 500W scanners and a few bits and bobs, like pyrotechnics and smoke and I am thinking of adding some LED bar-lights and floor lights some time later this year.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
Re: DMX controllers - cheap and easy to use? new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #971621 - 22/02/12 01:00 PM
There's a dirt-cheap Behringer one somewhere... ah, here it is:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/LC2412.aspx

Apparently you can get them for £150, give or take, so maybe buy a couple in case one fails during a shoot?

Cheers!

Chris

The Red Bladder

#971622 - 22/02/12 01:04 PM
Considering that I have never ever bought anything from Behringer that either didn't break, or didn't work properly in the first place (except one DJ mixer and a DI box) I'll pass on throwing £150 out of the window!

What about this thing? Has anybody tried it?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/american_dj_mydmx.htm

skipper01

Loc: Midlands UK
      #971634 - 22/02/12 01:45 PM
Funnily enough I'm in a similar position with an interest in going DMX for my piano/vocal and DJing. I've got desires to better manage and control my LED PowerBar, Scanners and MirrorBall effect with quick access Presets/Scenes. I'm feed up with footcontrols and handcontrols and am finding the sound modes quite OTT for Ballads and my piano sets.

I don't know too much about DMX yet but am thinking (through some investigation and what I've learnt) of getting a small PC laptop to run American DJ MyDMX software. Apparently a Mac version is going to available by the Spring (rumours!)

Ideally I'd like a hardware controller to run the Scenes that can hook-up to a computer/software rather than carting a laptop around.
I found a KAM product called KAM Standalone Controller that works in conjunction with Chromatex DMX editor software. I was advised that this software was not as easy or effective as the American DJ software - I can't comment as yet!

Good luck!

BOD2

Re: DMX controllers - cheap and easy to use? [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #971655 - 22/02/12 02:46 PM
I've briefly used one of these in a school setting for basic stage lighting -

http://www.lancelynoxford.co.uk/products/zero-88-alcora-1224-lighting-desk -secondhand

It can control 12 or 24 separate DMX fixtures. You can operate it manually using the faders or you can store the fader positions in memory and recall them as required.

I spent an hour or so looking through the manual (readily available online) and it mostly made sense from that.

Seems to be fairly robust.

Dave Gate

Loc: M6/M61/M60/M62/M65
      #971698 - 22/02/12 06:54 PM
If you don't mind using a software controller then ChamSys is a professional product that can be run on any laptop; you'd just need to add a USB DMX interface.

--------------------
Gear List: reverse only.

The Red Bladder

#971917 - 23/02/12 08:33 PM
That looks really interesting - thanks! I'll call them tomorrow for recommendations on interface!

Dave Gate

Loc: M6/M61/M60/M62/M65
      #971969 - 24/02/12 08:57 AM
We used to see a few LDs passing through our venue using it with a rack-mounted PC (always a PC for some reason, never a Mac), with a couple of touch screens and a hardware controller. We used it as a backup for if a desk packed up, on a fairly bog-standard Samsung laptop with a cheap interface that my mate had (I think he got it from CPC). You lose some busking ability by not having the touch screens and external faders and things, but it's perfectly usable without them.

--------------------
Gear List: reverse only.

The Red Bladder

#971989 - 24/02/12 10:42 AM
I've just ordered one of their basic systems, so if it's pants, I'm blaming you!

I'm sure it'll be OK though - and this is one of those rare occasions when this forum works the way a forum should. Someone asks for advice, someone knowledgeable gives advice and the person doing the asking actually accepts the advice (as opposed to listening to the voices in his head!) and acts upon that advice!

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #972001 - 24/02/12 11:13 AM
Beware of the voices in your head. Especially when they tell you that the teddy bears are plotting to take over the world, and the daffodils all hate you.

Oh, hallo nurse, is it time for my pills again...?

MarkPAman

Loc: Somewhere between Portsmouth &...
Re: DMX controllers - cheap and easy to use? new [Re: BOD2]
      #972009 - 24/02/12 11:48 AM
Quote BOD2:

I've briefly used one of these in a school setting for basic stage lighting -

http://www.lancelynoxford.co.uk/products/zero-88-alcora-1224-lighting-desk -secondhand

It can control 12 or 24 separate DMX fixtures. You can operate it manually using the faders or you can store the fader positions in memory and recall them as required.

I spent an hour or so looking through the manual (readily available online) and it mostly made sense from that.

Seems to be fairly robust.

Just to correct something here. The Alcora can control up to 24 channels not fixtures. Way too small for what the OP has.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3605

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media