Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
aekoi

Loc: Not of this Earth
Clipping on active system
      #971832 - 23/02/12 02:02 PM
Hi there,

I often hire speaker systems to DJ's. All the systems are active, which removes the possibility of driver being fed clipped signal due to underpowered amps (I assume). However DJs like to plug all sorts of signal sources into their mixer, and I'm concerned that, for example, a laptop may send clipped signal to the mixer and then on to the speakers. Another concern is 'enthusiastic' DJ types turning mixer gains up full.

How quickly will my speakers be fried by clipping produced in such a manner (ie NOT by underpowered amp).

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
seablade

Re: Clipping on active system new [Re: aekoi]
      #971840 - 23/02/12 02:34 PM
Quote aekoi:

Hi there,

I often hire speaker systems to DJ's. All the systems are active, which removes the possibility of driver being fed clipped signal due to underpowered amps (I assume). However DJs like to plug all sorts of signal sources into their mixer, and I'm concerned that, for example, a laptop may send clipped signal to the mixer and then on to the speakers. Another concern is 'enthusiastic' DJ types turning mixer gains up full.

How quickly will my speakers be fried by clipping produced in such a manner (ie NOT by underpowered amp).

Thanks in advance.

Depends on how oblivious the DJ is. Whether the amp is underpowered or not might depend on the manufacturer of the speaker. One would assume they have them matched well, but there are no guarantees.

Your best option is to rent as a system that includes a speaker processor/limiter before the speakers in this case, set so that when the control on the speaker is turned all the way up, it still doesn't get a signal strong enough to clip it. Sucks for gain structure, but might be your best option.

Or if you are capable with a soldering iron, disabling the gain control on the speaker all together is not out of the question;) Again a speaker processor/limiter is recommended even in this, but this way you can get slightly better gain structure as most of those have gain to account for plugging a mic directly into the speaker.

This is the basis for the conversation on gain structure Nathan and I had years back that comes up every now and then, with slightly different situations involved.

Seablade

mpostor

Loc: S.W. London
Re: Clipping on active system new [Re: aekoi]
      #971885 - 23/02/12 05:34 PM
Never underestimate the lengths a DJ will go to to get all the red lights in a system to light up.

If you're hiring the system out, include a 'you break it, you buy it' clause in the contract, sit back and let them go for it.
If they break anything, they pay for the replacement. Just make sure you take a high enough deposit from them to let them know that you're serious.

HTH.

Stu.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1805

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media