Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Lairryho

E-mu 1616m PCI not working with over 4gb RAM
      #972645 - 27/02/12 04:42 PM
Ok I have had this unit for over a year and used it everyday for streaming audio online. Last weekend I swapped motherboards so I could install more ram (old board only allowed up to 4gb) I installed the new board and 8gb of ram. Now the card doesn't work properly. Everything sounds fine in my headset throught the headphone jack on the front of the dock, but what's coming out of the stream is choppy, poppy or sometimes it produces no sound to the streaming software at all. I noticed that the more programs I had open eating up the memory the better it sounded. Finally I took out a stick of ram (down to 6gb) and it worked better but still nasty sound, finally I removed another stick (now 4gb ram) and it seems to work fairly well , although not as stable as it was before, but if I open the programs in a sequence I can pretty much make them work 100% of the time with perfect sound. Why would this be the case? The whole reason for the mobo upgrade was to install more ram as some of the applications I use were peaking it out making the system page to the hard drive using up all the cpu. It is the same OS as before off the same disk. Win 7 64 bit home premium. The only difference in the pc at all is the amount of ram and the motherboard. Here's my IRQ's as I'm sure someone's going to ask. The OS was a clean fresh install and then chipset drivers were installed , all updates done then installed the 1616 drivers and application. I have the settings in the sound and hardware on WIn7 set to 2 channel 24 bit 48000 khz in both playback and recording and both set to default device also set to 48000 in patchmix. I've tried swapping pci slots and I have nothing in my usb ports except my keyboard and mouse. I've tried disabling the hdmi and audio onboards in bios . Bios is the latest version 0802. Ram has been tried on auto and set currently to 5-5-5-15 and 1.84v at 800mhz. I dont' know what I"m missing or what I should try? Please someone help me figure out how to make this darn thing work again. Oh btw I don't use ASIO I've only used this thing for wave as I generally use it for singing with tracks or piano which is hooked to dock in 1L/1R via a small mixer and my mic is also plugged into this. It doesn't work through wave if my settings are configured in both simplecast and winamp set to the EMU as the output device or Wave soundmapper. Hopefully I've provided enough info for you to help me troubleshoot this problem.

Mark

IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 16 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 16 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937 OK
IRQ 16 Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 294A OK
IRQ 16 Intel(R) G35 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 2981 OK
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti OK
IRQ 17 Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller OK
IRQ 17 Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 2940 OK
IRQ 17 Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 2948 OK
IRQ 17 High Definition Audio Controller OK
IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936 OK
IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939 OK
IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C OK
IRQ 18 E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM) OK
IRQ 19 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935 OK
IRQ 21 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938 OK
IRQ 22 High Definition Audio Controller OK
IRQ 22 Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920 OK
IRQ 22 Intel(R) ICH9 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926 OK
IRQ 23 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A OK
IRQ 23 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934 OK

The system has this installed:

MOBO - Asus P5E-V-HDMI
RAM - Kingston KHX6400D2LLK2/4G x 4 dimms
Graphics - Nvidia Geforece GTX 550Ti
Processor - Intel E4500 Core 2 Duo
OS - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: E-mu 1616m PCI not working with over 4gb RAM new [Re: Lairryho]
      #972746 - 28/02/12 09:33 AM
Extremely unlikely to be your IRQ settings on windows 7. Are you using the latest drivers off the respective websites for your hardware? The early EMU drivers for win 7 were patchy at best so it might be worth hunting down any betas that might be floating around out there, as they got a hell of a lot better over time.

Probably worth running DPC Latency checker over it too to see what's going on and if the are any inherent issues on that side.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Lairryho

Re: E-mu 1616m PCI not working with over 4gb RAM new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #972920 - 28/02/12 08:21 PM
Yes in fact I've tried every driver they have, and every application. What is the latency checker thing you were telling me about? Where do I find it and how does it run? Thank you for you reply.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #972927 - 28/02/12 08:47 PM
Hi Lairryho, and welcome to the SOS Forums!

I agree with Pete that it's unlikely to be IRQ conflicts - these have been mercifully rare dueing the last few years now that all hardware manufacturers have realised that their drivers have to co-exist with other devices

The utility Pete's referring to is Thesycon's DPC Latency Checker ( www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml ), which is so useful I started a sticky thread on it way back in March 2008:

www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=588140

I also discussed it in my May 2008 PC Notes column if you want to read more:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/may08/articles/pcnotes_0508.htm#5

It really is useful!!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

TobyC

Loc: Haywards Heath, UK
      #974197 - 05/03/12 03:44 PM
Hi Mark,

I use the E-mu 1616m on PCI. I'm also still on XP on a self-build Core i7 machine running on a Gigabyte motherboard. So I'm wondering if you are experiencing a compatibility issue between the PatchMix software and Windows 7.

I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 but was going to go for the 64bit Pro version so as to get XP compatibility.

Which version of PatchMix are you running and are you sure it is compatible with your 64 bit version of Windows 7?

Best wishes
Toby

--------------------
Have a look and listen to our music:
TobesMusic.com

TobyC

Re: E-mu 1616m PCI not working with over 4gb RAM new [Re: TobyC]
      #974207 - 05/03/12 04:07 PM
I see on the Creative/E-mu site they are clear that their latest PatchMix will only run on the PCIe cards and not the PCI cards. So it looks like a new E-mu 1010 PCIe card (circa £130 here in the UK) is required to get the 1616m to work properly with their latest software on Windows 7, unless anyone else has had other experiences?

Creative/Emu support page

On this above link, click the 1616m icon and then the 'show details' link against the download links to see their guidance on this.

Regards
Toby

--------------------
TobesMusic.com

TobyC

#975580 - 13/03/12 08:30 PM
Update: just completed rebuild of my Core i7 System onto Windows 7 Professional 64bit. I did upgrade to the 1010 PCIe card and it is working well. I notice it has spawned a load more input and output tracks compared with the PCI version, so it looks like it's now 32x32! The extra PatchMix outputs are all accessable from Sonar but I'm not sure where the extra 16 input channels are supposed to be! Perhaps that will come clear. So far I can only seem to access 8 on the 1616m and another 8 via an ADA8000, which is all as is was before and is more than adequate here.

In the meantime I can report that it's all working well on W7Pro64. Nice snappy response compared with XP on the same machine. Currently running at several soft synths concurrently at 3ms latency with no problems which is nice.

Now I just wish networking old laser printers with another XP machine wasn't such a nightmare...

Regards,

--------------------
TobesMusic.com

Lairryho

#977324 - 21/03/12 05:01 PM
How much RAM do you have then? So what you're saying is if I spend a little on the new PCIE card then it will work with more than 4gb of ram? Thanks for posting btw hadn't checked it in a while , had kinda given up.

tlainhart

#977339 - 21/03/12 07:42 PM
I'm using an 1820m PCI on Windows 7 w/ 8gig RAM, and I'm not having problems. I don't think that I'm using the Patchmix for PCIe, but I'm using the other driver updates.

Go to Production Forums, E-MU subsection, and you'll see that other folks are running similar environments.

TobyC

#977354 - 21/03/12 09:12 PM
I've currently got 6Gb (one free slot) on my Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard.

Actually, after writing the above post I did have a few BSOD's and narrowed it down the fact that I'd put the E-MU 1010 PCIe in a 16x PCIe slot. I originally did this to give it more space from the graphics card for cooling. But since I've moved it back to a 1x PCIe slot it has behaved perfectly. To sort the cooling issue I shunted the graphics card down to the second PCIe 16x slot which has now solved both issues.

The other thing which might help you is that the only Patchmix software that worked was V2.2 off the disk that came with the new PCIe card. I never got V2.3 off the E-MU website to work but it's not a problem.

So I'm currently loving the new setup and delighted to get the 1616m functionality on Win7 64bit. To me this unit sounds wonderful. All the channels are visible on Sonar X1 and it's great to have the routing flexibility of the 1616m again and the option if an extra 8 inputs an ADA8000 for occassional use.

I hope this helps.
Very best wishes
Toby

--------------------
TobesMusic.com

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #977454 - 22/03/12 10:54 AM
Quote TobyC:

I'd put the E-MU 1010 PCIe in a 16x PCIe slot. I originally did this to give it more space from the graphics card for cooling. But since I've moved it back to a 1x PCIe slot it has behaved perfectly.

Hi Toby!

Pleased to hear you've sorted your Emu problems!

Thanks for this info - not come across this issue before, but it's useful to know

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5932

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media