Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Crazy Callaway

Amplifier Help
      #974047 - 05/03/12 01:34 AM
I have 2 Peavey SP-2Ti's Sound Reinforcement System (Max Power: 600W RMS / 300W RMS) & 2 QSC KW122 1000 Watt 12 Inch 2-Way Active Loudspeaker, but the on-board amps for the QSC's are both out. I'm very new at live audio, so I was wondering what would be the best amp set up to run all 4 of these speakers???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Amplifier Help new [Re: Crazy Callaway]
      #974053 - 05/03/12 04:37 AM
Welcome!

The first question to ask is why are the amps on the KW122 speakers out? I'm not familiar with the Peaveys but a quick look online would leave me to believe the QSCs would sound way better!

Also the KW122 are designed to be active speakers - no easy way to power them from an external amp - and why would you when they sound so good driven by their custom designed internal amp with all the processing and protection you you want.

If you're having difficulty connecting up the QSCs maybe give us a full breakdown of your set up, maybe we can help.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #974081 - 05/03/12 10:05 AM
I'm with Bob

... but in your 'report back' please let us know if the QSCs have ever worked for you and, if so, how did they fail? Did they make any pfft noises, emit smoke or smells or what? If you connect them to mains-power now do the lights come on and can you hear anything at all if you GENTLY increase gain/volume?

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #974137 - 05/03/12 12:15 PM
That reminds me. A friend of mine sold some fairly decent powered speakers to a local promoter (he needed the money to finance a Musicman bass, IIRC). Some time later he happened to be at a gig organised by that promoter, and was told that the speakers were rubbish. My friend had a look at them, and found that the promoter had taken a power amp and hooked up an outlandish chain of adaptors to get from Speakon outs to the speakers' XLR inputs! One speaker's power amp was toast, and the other was distinctly unhealthy.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of incompetence. (Remembering some of the ways I've screwed up, I completely count myself in that too!)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2095

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media