Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kevin Nolan

This forum does not work !!
      #974738 - 08/03/12 12:39 PM
I come to this forum from time to time to look for insights, news and discussion in iPad music apps and uses in particular.

However - finding most of the posts on Atari computers and what not, indicates that grouping Apps with computer models that are 20+ years out of date just doesn't work ( and is frankly rediculous). The result - few are using this forum.

Surely SOS, a leader in music technology journalism, must recognise the importance of among the most significant shifts in computer music for 20 years - tablet Apps?

SOS - you need to convert this forum into two separate forums - one for discontinued platforms and the other for one for Apple and Android music.

Kevin.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: This forum does not work !! new [Re: Kevin Nolan]
      #974739 - 08/03/12 12:47 PM
Quote Kevin Nolan:

SOS - you need to convert this forum into two separate forums - one for discontinued platforms and the other for one for Apple and Android music.

Could it be that the lack of discussions of music apps is actually down to those who choose to post or not, rather than the notional host space?

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Kevin Nolan

#974759 - 08/03/12 02:04 PM
Perhaps!

but - there are a lot of apps on, for example, iPad that could do with discussion. I certainly have some questions (and I'll post them for sure). But such platforms are only going in one direction - and I would have thought at this stage could use a dedicated forum.

So I'd like to see a dedicated forum for iPad and related music apps - and also the related hardware, to see if it in itself would push on interest.

cheers,
Kevin.

SOS Technical Editor

#974761 - 08/03/12 02:18 PM
Quote Kevin Nolan:

there are a lot of apps on, for example, iPad that could do with discussion. I certainly have some questions (and I'll post them for sure).

Then please ask away -- here, or elsewhere on the forums if you prefer -- and let's enjoy the responses that are generated.

Quote:

I would have thought at this stage could use a dedicated forum.

A keystone of the forum reorganisation was to reduce the total number of forums. Perhaps, if discussions of apps reached collossal proportions that swamped everything else, we might consider introducing a dedicated forum, but I don't think there is any case to support that at present. This forum does lists 'Apps' as the first term specifially to maximise it's prominence.

hugh

--------------------

Kevin Nolan

Re: This forum does not work !! new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #974779 - 08/03/12 04:01 PM
Ok Hugh - but linking Apps to atari computers, is not, in my opinion, a smart move by SOS. It just does not work and, to me, says something about the way SOS are (or are not) thinking.

cheers,
Kevin.

SOS Technical Editor

#974783 - 08/03/12 04:11 PM
Quote Kevin Nolan:

Ok Hugh - but linking Apps to atari computers, is not, in my opinion, a smart move by SOS.

Fair enough, and I understand your point of view.

The thinking behind the current forum structure was that we needed to retain separate Mac and PC forums because those guys don't play nice if you shut them in the same room

As no one is currently using apps as their sole music making systems -- although that may well change -- we have a third forum whch is shared between apps and the various other legacy and minor operating systems.

There doesn't currently appear to be a huge interest in debating music-focused apps, and although I'm sure this will change with time, it seems best at the moment to maintain a watching brief.

There are plans on the table to completely overhaul the website and forums within a forseeable time frame, and as that progressses I'm sure we'll start canvassing opinions on how best to structure and present the new forums... and that will also be heavily influenced by the way they ae used between now and then, of course.

Hugh

--------------------

seablade

Re: This forum does not work !! new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #974812 - 08/03/12 07:01 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

The thinking behind the current forum structure was that we needed to retain separate Mac and PC forums because those guys don't play nice if you shut them in the same room

And you think Linux and Apple(iOS) are better?

Seablade

Causing problems of course

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
Re: This forum does not work !! new [Re: seablade]
      #974814 - 08/03/12 07:38 PM
Quote seablade:

Quote Hugh Robjohns:

And you think Linux and Apple(iOS) are better?

Seablade

Causing problems of course

Shhhhhh!

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

Emmet

#974881 - 09/03/12 09:57 AM
I appreciate that numbers of 'forums' is an issue however I still dont think that SoS (the mag at least) quite 'gets' the potential of the iPad and iPhone etc as control surface, sound generation tool and base for music hardware 'add ons'.

However I also appreiciate that its also a 'chicken and egg' situation in terms of forum content from forum users.

SOS Technical Editor

Re: This forum does not work !! new [Re: Emmet]
      #974883 - 09/03/12 10:07 AM
Quote Emmet:

I still dont think that SoS (the mag at least) quite 'gets' the potential of the iPad and iPhone etc as control surface, sound generation tool and base for music hardware 'add ons'.

I think we do -- several members of the editorial staff are keen iphone/ipad users themselves (including me!) -- which is why we started the regular APP column in the magazine last August.

So far we have reviewed: Red Dog Arctic Keys Synth, Moog Music Animoog, Akai Synthstation 25 System, TigApp Audio Audit test app, Digitech iPB10 Midi Interface, IK Multimedia iRig MIDI interface, Fostex AR4i interface, Apogee Jam interface, Alesis IO Dock, iConnectivity iConnect MIDI, Blip Interactive nanostudio, Audiofile Engineering FiRe recorder, TC Helicon Voice Jam vocal looper, Image Line FL Studio Mobile sequencer, and the John Vella Music SongCatcher DAW.

The market is going through a period of rapid evolvution at the moment, of course, but as more and more manufacturers start to pick up and implement control and sound generation apps the magazine will naturally reflect that in reviews and features.

hugh

--------------------

Arthur Stone

Loc: Wales
      #975973 - 15/03/12 08:21 PM
I don't own a tablet or use apps but I like the balance that SOS achieves between existing and developing technologies. The apps/tablet coverage has even tempted me to get on board but I may wait a while as the speed of development promises greater rewards for late adopters...I don't think I'm missing much in terms of capability (over existing equipment) - just portability.

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
      #1006449 - 31/08/12 03:45 PM
And just so you know, I still use a Commodore Amiga 1200 for all MIDI sequencing, but I would venture to bet that there are FAR more SOS readers who are or have been involved with the Atari ST than have or are involved with the iPad.
Still a minority toy compared to other gadgets out there, don't forget.
And there are undoubtedly several orders of magnitude more iPhones out there than iPads.
And THEY were not designed specifically for computer assisted music creation either.

P.S. Have I sucked up enough to get Amiga Notes reinstated yet?

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

Scramble

Re: This forum does not work !! new [Re: IvanSC]
      #1006451 - 31/08/12 03:52 PM
>P.S. Have I sucked up enough to get Amiga Notes reinstated yet?

Hope so, I've got an Amiga too.

(Mind you, it is in the attic).

Smellthevalve

Loc: Surrey, UK
Re: This forum does not work !! new [Re: Scramble]
      #1006460 - 31/08/12 04:41 PM
Quote Scramble:

I've got an Amiga too.

Me also

--------------------
-<{DH}>-

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #1008271 - 12/09/12 08:36 PM
Not seen a single article on the Music500 synth for the BBC Model B

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

midiman7942

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario Canada
      #1016193 - 30/10/12 05:37 AM
Hey guy's. I've got a question...How come it is always iOs reviews and not another platform like for instace Android...

SOS Technical Editor

Re: This forum does not work !! new [Re: midiman7942]
      #1016195 - 30/10/12 05:51 AM
We do and have covered Android apps -- I've reviewed several myself -- but I agree that there is a bias towards iOS and that's mostly because there are considerably more music and audio technology apps on the iOS platform than on Android. It's just the way it is at the moment... But we are aware of the Android market and we are keeping an eye on it for interesting music-related apps.

However, if there's anything that you are aware of that you think we should cover, please do let us know!

hugh

--------------------

Wimek

Loc: Holland
      #1016319 - 30/10/12 07:27 PM
Although I only have an ancient HTC Hero phone that runs Android, I tried a few simple synths and drum machine apps. The latency was horrible, but that can be because of my ancient phone....

Besides my very limited experience with Android, I'm not sure where, but I read somewhere that iOS is much better in providing low latency than Android... Maybe one of you guys knows the URL of that article?

seablade

Re: This forum does not work !! new [Re: Wimek]
      #1016804 - 02/11/12 03:21 PM
Quote Wimek:

Although I only have an ancient HTC Hero phone that runs Android, I tried a few simple synths and drum machine apps. The latency was horrible, but that can be because of my ancient phone....

Besides my very limited experience with Android, I'm not sure where, but I read somewhere that iOS is much better in providing low latency than Android... Maybe one of you guys knows the URL of that article?

Android 4.0 or 4.1 (Can't remember which) implemented much better support for low latency audio. I am waiting to see if this makes any difference at all in as far as apps available. So apps that run on older versions of Android(Almost all of them) probably don't make use of the new APIs for this and thus have higher latency.

Seablade

OneWorld

#1016808 - 02/11/12 03:35 PM
Quote Kevin Nolan:

I come to this forum from time to time to look for insights, news and discussion in iPad music apps and uses in particular.

However - finding most of the posts on Atari computers and what not, indicates that grouping Apps with computer models that are 20+ years out of date just doesn't work ( and is frankly rediculous). The result - few are using this forum.

Surely SOS, a leader in music technology journalism, must recognise the importance of among the most significant shifts in computer music for 20 years - tablet Apps?

Kevin.

it works for me! I don't think you'll find a forum that is all things to all men (and women and those who are neither nowt nor summat!) but the responses are often very quick, certainly from very knowledgeable individuals and seems to have escaped the attention of those that simply want to sound off rather than impart some useful information - quite staid I have to admit, but for 'staid' supplement 'business like' and it sure is that. I suppose that is due to the fact that many contributors to this forum actually make, or have made, music for their living, and consequently cut straight to the chase instead of being full of what makes the grass grow tall in Texas

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 10559

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media