Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
NuBoy

Crossgrades on Mach 5 and Yellowtools- A catch? new
      #974651 - 07/03/12 11:23 PM
Hi there,
I see MOTU and Yellowtools offer their respective Mach 5 and Independence samplers and libraries at a greatly reduced rate as a "cross grade" deal to registered owners of certain other soft sampler packages.

My query is; does buying one of these cross grade packages somehow prevent you from using your existing, say Kontact, sampler also. (i.e. You can't install until deleting your existing package for example)?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
OneWorld

Re: Crossgrades on Mach 5 and Yellowtools- A catch? new [Re: NuBoy]
      #974694 - 08/03/12 10:04 AM
Quote NuBoy:

Hi there,
I see MOTU and Yellowtools offer their respective Mach 5 and Independence samplers and libraries at a greatly reduced rate as a "cross grade" deal to registered owners of certain other soft sampler packages.

My query is; does buying one of these cross grade packages somehow prevent you from using your existing, say Kontact, sampler also. (i.e. You can't install until deleting your existing package for example)?

Good question, I am under the impression that a cross-grade does sort of upgrade the existing software, eg, moving libraries (I know that Independance insists on having a particular locations) maybe even convert file formats etc.

If you are considering Independance do you know there is a free version that can be downloaded. I liked it but has a few niggles, when I move the mouse I get crackling, I upgraded my PC to a much more powerful one and it still did it.

The other thing is, if you make your own programmes, the wav files you use have to be in the YellowTools folder, so you can end up with files being duplicated. Whereas with other samplers, I have used Gigasampler and Kontakt, you can place the files where ever you like. The Spanish Guitar on Independance is about the best I have come across.

Pink Fluid

#974720 - 08/03/12 11:37 AM
Crossgrades are just a marketing tool, nothing to do with the software. If you qualify you will normally have to provide some type of proof of ownership of your existing software, that's all. See this link as an example: http://www.musictrack.co.uk/machfive_crossgrade.htm

NuBoy

Re: Crossgrades on Mach 5 and Yellowtools- A catch? new [Re: Pink Fluid]
      #974809 - 08/03/12 06:36 PM
Pink, I checked out your link, it's similar to ones I've seen. Clearly it's a marketing tool, but; it doesn't expressly say you can continue to use, unchanged or otherwise, your existing applications. This is what's worrying me. You'd be mad not to take the discount, but not at the expense of having to ditch existing gear.

clisma

#974825 - 08/03/12 09:05 PM
Hm, I've done a few crossgrades over the years but besides providing proof of purchase, I have never come across a request to stop using my previous software from the developer. This would definitely be news to me.

Don't know Mach5 (looks very good) but the YT stuff is average. Yes, the Spanish guitar and a couple of other presets are quite good, some fx in the chain can be useful, and if you need Vst hosting for your DAW, it can do that. However, after going with Kontakt, YT is gathering dust on my sample drive - I find the whole layout hard to adapt to, library paths have to be very specific, authorization can be a real pain the ..... You get my drift.

Oh, and it's not the gentlest of samplers on your CPU.

--------------------
Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Pink Fluid

#974852 - 08/03/12 11:30 PM
If you have Kontakt, how is Motu going to stop you using that other than an arrangement with NI to de-register you once you have registered Mach 5? Don't think so. Years ago, I crossgraded to Samplitude because I had PT LE. Still have both and still use both. Just buy at the crossgrade price if you can prove you already own other s/w.

NuBoy

Re: Crossgrades on Mach 5 and Yellowtools- A catch? new [Re: Pink Fluid]
      #974964 - 09/03/12 06:56 PM
Ok guys,thanks you have convinced me, I'll go for it.
BUT
I reserve the right to throw a Law Suit at you if it all goes pear shaped!

clisma

Re: Crossgrades on Mach 5 and Yellowtools- A catch? [Re: NuBoy]
      #974984 - 09/03/12 09:25 PM
Fair enough. Though I expect you'll throw us a party if all goes down as planned?

--------------------
Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3080

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media