Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Creating the illusion of distance & moving sources outdoors new
      #975012 - 10/03/12 12:11 AM
Hello, I've been recording stuff outdoors, but for some trickier parts (such as those that require closer mic'ing) I might need to recreate the effect of instruments played in an open wide expanse like moorland, so that instruments sound far away, change as they move around, become obscured by atmospheric sounds, etc.

I'm wondering the best way to go about this. What should I study/understand about acoustics? I understand that higher frequencies become less apparent with distance (because they run out of energy quicker), but is this a proportionate change? Perhaps there's software that can affect this better than I could ever do manually?

Kind Regards,

José

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Creating the illusion of distance & moving sources outdoors new [Re: ]
      #975037 - 10/03/12 06:55 AM
“Distance of the sound source
The human auditory system has only limited possibilities to determine the distance of a sound source. In the close-up-range there are some indications for distance determination, such as extreme level differences (e.g. when whispering into one ear) or specific pinna resonances in the close-up range.
The auditory system uses these clues to estimate the distance to a sound source:
• Sound spectrum : High frequencies are more quickly damped by the air than low frequencies. Therefore a distant sound source sounds more muffled than a close one, because the high frequencies are attenuated. For sound with a known spectrum (e.g. speech) the distance can be estimated roughly with the help of the perceived sound.
• Loudness: Distant sound sources have a lower loudness than close ones. This aspect can be evaluated especially for well-known sound sources (e.g. known speakers).
• Movement: Similar to the visual system there is also the phenomenon of motion parallax in acoustical perception. For a moving listener nearby sound sources are passing faster than distant sound sources.
• Reflections: In enclosed rooms two types of sound are arriving at a listener: The direct sound arrives at the listener's ears without being reflected at a wall. Reflected sound has been reflected at least one time at a wall before arriving at the listener. The ratio between direct sound and reflected sound can give an indication about the distance of the sound source.” From Wiki/Google.
Then too outside sources are completely “dry”, devoid of any reverberation (unless you want to simulate a large reflecting object. Note too that we retain the ability to localize sources down to very low frequencies outdoors, ‘tis only the “mess” inside a building that prevents us doing this.
Dave.

Jack Ruston

#975049 - 10/03/12 10:17 AM
In an open moorland for example, there are very few or no early reflections. So you'd need to record your source material in an environment with that in mind. The moment you hear early reflections your brain will interpret an acoustic space which you're trying to remove.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #975070 - 10/03/12 12:54 PM
As jack says, to be convincing you need to record in a really, really dead environment. Any hint of early reflections destroys the illusion immediately. You also need to lose some of the top end, as has been said, and also a fair bit of the bottom end too. These two aspects are down to sound wave propagation.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #975089 - 10/03/12 02:49 PM
And if you want to spice things up a bit remember that any natural air movement outside (i.e. gusts of wind) will result in cyclic level fades as well as top-end changes, rather like a very large and extremely slow-spinning Leslie speaker

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Creating the illusion of distance & moving sources outdoors [Re: ]
      #975096 - 10/03/12 03:41 PM
Thanks for that.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2039

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media