Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
dPolo03

Loc: Harlem, NY
Would you? Pt. 2 new
      #975329 - 12/03/12 03:09 PM
Neumann microphones been around for decades with amazing results from many engineers, artist etc. Would you say that's true or do you have a different microphone that you feel can do a better job?

--------------------
twitter.com/dpolo soundcloud.com/dpolo03

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Would you? Pt. 2 new [Re: dPolo03]
      #975330 - 12/03/12 03:12 PM
The first sentence is true: they have been around for decades (over eight, in fact), and many engineers and artists have had fantastic performances captured with Neumann mics.

Then again, microphones from other manufacturers have also ben used to capture fantastic performances too, and may often be chosen in preference to Neumann mics for specific situations.

What's your point?

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

dPolo03

Re: Would you? Pt. 2 new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #975334 - 12/03/12 03:21 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

The first sentence is true: they have been around for decades (over eight, in fact), and many engineers and artists have had fantastic performances captured with Neumann mics.

Then again, microphones from other manufacturers have also ben used to capture fantastic performances too, and may often be chosen in preference to Neumann mics for specific situations.

What's your point?

Hugh

I'm shopping around for new equipment and want to hear people's opinions on the gear. I know many people on this site have much experience in the engineering field. So I'm trying to get people personal experience with this kind of equipment that can give me tip & pointers.

--------------------

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #975337 - 12/03/12 03:29 PM
Ideally you should have a variety of microphones to suit individual performers and instruments. Lots of people favour the Neumanns because they are built to a high standard and have a classic and usable sound. There are lots of other favoured mics though from AKG, Sure, Sennheiser, Brauner, Rode and many others. If you can, try out as many as you can to learn how mics suit the situations you are trying to record.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #975338 - 12/03/12 03:33 PM
Quote dPolo03:

I'm shopping around for new equipment and want to hear people's opinions on the gear.

I presume we're only talking about microphones? If so, what kind of things do you want to record? What preamps/interfaces do you have? And what's your budget?

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

dPolo03

#975438 - 13/03/12 08:11 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote dPolo03:

I'm shopping around for new equipment and want to hear people's opinions on the gear.

I presume we're only talking about microphones? If so, what kind of things do you want to record? What preamps/interfaces do you have? And what's your budget?

Hugh

So far I have a digi 002 interface. Still purchasing equipment but doing thorough research on what I intend to get. No preamps yet but had my eye on a avalon, SSL, universal audio preamp. My budget is approx. $3000 but plan to get most equipment used if I can.

--------------------

dPolo03

Re: Would you? Pt. 2 new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #975439 - 13/03/12 08:12 AM
Quote Richie Royale:

Ideally you should have a variety of microphones to suit individual performers and instruments. Lots of people favour the Neumanns because they are built to a high standard and have a classic and usable sound. There are lots of other favoured mics though from AKG, Sure, Sennheiser, Brauner, Rode and many others. If you can, try out as many as you can to learn how mics suit the situations you are trying to record.

Ok I will. Thank you for your response.

--------------------

dPolo03

#975440 - 13/03/12 08:16 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote dPolo03:

I presume we're only talking about microphones?
Hugh

Well if you have any other advice on other gear that will be helpful. I'm working on getting the equipment I need so I can start working when I get back from Afghanistan.

--------------------

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #975442 - 13/03/12 08:37 AM
Beware of opting for the 'reassuringly expensive'. We can all tell you that Neumann make very good mic's, but there are many other good mic's out there that may be just as suited to your needs, and will also help your budget stretch further. As the others have pointed out, it depends on what you want to record.

If you intend to record vocals over synthetically-generated backing tracks then a couple of good dynamic mic's and a single capable mic pre may be all you need. If, on the other hand, you intend to record acoustic drum kits with multiple mic's then that budget may need to stretch considerably further - and any concerns about the maker's badge will be of secondary importance.

I have many mic's of various makes and models, and although Neumann is high on my list of trusted mic's I very often choose others for certain tasks. Although I have a U87Ai, for instance, for vocals I will very often use MD441, EV635, SM57 and others - any of which may be better suited to a certain situation or requirement, but represent considerably less outlay. Similarly, for acoustic guitar, although a pair of KM184s sound superb, I will often choose such as NT55, EV635, MXL V69, or SM57, dependent on context. I also own a few very low-budget mic's that do a decent job in the right circumstances and represent great value.

And don't forget to budget for cables, stands, pop-shields, stereo bars, attenuators and the like - those things can begin to add up!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

dPolo03

Re: Would you? Pt. 2 new [Re: The Elf]
      #975447 - 13/03/12 09:14 AM
Quote The Elf:

Beware of opting for the 'reassuringly expensive'. We can all tell you that Neumann make very good mic's, but there are many other good mic's out there that may be just as suited to your needs, and will also help your budget stretch further. As the others have pointed out, it depends on what you want to record.

If you intend to record vocals over synthetically-generated backing tracks then a couple of good dynamic mic's and a single capable mic pre may be all you need. If, on the other hand, you intend to record acoustic drum kits with multiple mic's then that budget may need to stretch considerably further - and any concerns about the maker's badge will be of secondary importance.

I have many mic's of various makes and models, and although Neumann is high on my list of trusted mic's I very often choose others for certain tasks. Although I have a U87Ai, for instance, for vocals I will very often use MD441, EV635, SM57 and others - any of which may be better suited to a certain situation or requirement, but represent considerably less outlay. Similarly, for acoustic guitar, although a pair of KM184s sound superb, I will often choose such as NT55, EV635, MXL V69, or SM57, dependent on context. I also own a few very low-budget mic's that do a decent job in the right circumstances and represent great value.

And don't forget to budget for cables, stands, pop-shields, stereo bars, attenuators and the like - those things can begin to add up!

very true ELf.. I will keep that in mind. I'll also do some research on the mics you've listed. Thanks.

--------------------

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
Re: Would you? Pt. 2 new [Re: The Elf]
      #975538 - 13/03/12 03:41 PM
Quote The Elf:

This x100

We all focus on the exciting toys that make noises and it's all too easy to mentally spend your entire budget before you realise that none of it works unless you have enough of the boring, practical, stuff.

I would even go as far as recommending that once you decide what your broad recording needs are you don't even think about specific mic's and pre's until you have budgeted for sufficient good quality boring bits. Cheap mic stands, cables, DI's, etc, are a constant source of problems. But good quality, heavy duty, gear will last you a lifetime, it will let you get the most from your mic's and pre's, and it works out cheaper in the long run.

Monitor stands (or isolation pads), racks, patchbays, lots of power sockets, and don't forget the duvets

Cutting corners on the boring stuff is always a false economy.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

dPolo03

#975651 - 14/03/12 10:37 AM
Thanks... All of your posts has helped a lot.

--------------------

MadManDan

Loc: Across the pond....New Yawk
Re: Would you? Pt. 2 [Re: dPolo03]
      #975702 - 14/03/12 02:43 PM
To reiterate about some of the 'boring'. Don't underestimate the importance of ANY link in the chain. For example, a very heavy duty mic stand and shock mount if you plan on using a sensitive condensor mic. I worked at a great facility WITH these things and still one day some low freq rumble from the performers moving around, crept into my bk voc track.

--------------------
Gear list: If you can't find it, grind it

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2503

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media