Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Pink Fluid

Basic Basement Studio
      #975901 - 15/03/12 02:04 PM
Many years ago I built myself a studio in my house, converting a large downstairs area. It was successful for me as I was writing electronica and doing music for TV documentaries but no live guitars/drums etc. I remember using a combination of 4"x2" to build walls within the main room as well as using rockwool and neoprene for further isolation. I think I also used 2 layers of plasterboard.

Enough history. I now want to convert part of my basement into a small music room for both me and now one of my sons to play/record. Without going OTT, what's the most cost effective way of doing this? The basement is not an ideal height (just over 6' 2") but we have nowhere else in the house so anything with some sound proofing would be better than nothing. Does the plasterboard/rockwool/neoprene set-up still work or are there better methods. I also remember covering everything in a nice shade of burgundy hessian!

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Basic Basement Studio new [Re: Pink Fluid]
      #976082 - 16/03/12 09:32 AM
Where do you want to stop the sound from going? Are the upstairs occupants going to complain? Do you have adjoining neighbours?

My first thought would be to remove the plasterboard on the basement ceiling and add another set of staggered joists supporting 2 or 3 layers of plasterboard as a new ceiling. If you are worried about adjoining neighbours and need best performance, you would also need to build additional walls and mount the new ceiling joists on the top of the new walls.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pink Fluid

Re: Basic Basement Studio new [Re: James Perrett]
      #976119 - 16/03/12 11:26 AM
Thanks for replying James. The main aim is stop sound going to the neighbours but having had a closer look yesterday, first of all I need an electrician to do some re-wiring and I also need to get the gas board to sort out a really poorly seated gas meter supply.

When that's done, what thickness plasterboard do I use for this type of job and what's the best type of rockwool to use?

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Basic Basement Studio new [Re: Pink Fluid]
      #976260 - 16/03/12 04:51 PM
You probably want a sandwich of different types of plasterboard - for best results go for 19mm next to the studs followed by a layer of green glue followed by 12.5mm sound block board, another layer of green glue and then a layer of 15mm sound block board. Gyproc's acoustic wall paper suggests that you can get away without the 15mm layer but other people reckon it is worth doing all 3 layers.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2275

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media