Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Grooveshysta

SSD for Sample library
      #976626 - 18/03/12 07:44 PM
Hello,

I recently updated my laptop to a HP 8710w with 4GB ram and 2.6ghz Core 2 duo with VISTA.

I am running pretty much nothing but Ableton with a Focusrite 8i6 soundcard. My old dell had a WD scorpio Black HD. My new setup has a hitatchi travelstar 7200 HD. The little disk overload light seems to come on loads in Ableton and sometimes hangs the machine.

It got me thinking about updating the drive. I plan to put the travel star with os and applications in the optical drive slot with a caddy and then put a SSD in the main HD slot just for samples and audio. I could put large files not being used on the regular HD.

I am not worried about boot up time and i understand that applications dont really call on the disk after loading.

Am I going the right way? Will I get much better low latency performance?

Thank you!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Adam @ Solidhawk

Re: SSD for Sample library new [Re: Grooveshysta]
      #976654 - 18/03/12 10:14 PM
I would most definitely recommend using an SSD drive for your audio needs. An SSD drive would benefit ableton as you are often auditioning samples quickly on the fly and switching between large sequences of audio in the arrangement window which possibly put demand on a regular spin drive. From our extensive research we've found that the Corsair Force Series 3 SSDs are one of the best for Audio use. They out perform regular spin drives significantly. Get one! you wont look back.

--------------------
I'm Adam. Chief PC builder and support guy at Solidhawk Music PCs. We build specialized custom music studio computers.
http://www.solidhawk.co.uk

Grooveshysta

Re: SSD for Sample library new [Re: Grooveshysta]
      #976662 - 18/03/12 10:54 PM
That's great advice thank you.

You think I will be ok with the os on the regular hd through te optical drive caddy?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1636

April 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for April 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media