Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
krooner

Which cable ?
      #977661 - 23/03/12 09:34 AM
Hi all,
I'd appreciate some help.
Think I may have been a bit quick to maligne my synth [MO8], though goodness knows, I've had it long enough; its always sounded a bit dull played live through the monitors.
I read something yesterday that started me thinking ----- maybe I've been using the "wrong" cable to link the synth [ mono out] to the preamp with a single unbalanced cable ?

Should I have been using two stereo 1/4 jack to jack cables connected to the pre, using a stereo adaptor ?

Please advise.

Kj

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Which cable ? new [Re: krooner]
      #977676 - 23/03/12 10:06 AM
If the synth output is unbalanced then you are probably using the right cable.

What monitors are you using? If they are active PA speakers set to mic level, it is possible that their input impedance is a bit low for some devices as I know some speakers with an input impedance of only around 1k ohm on the mic level input.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

krooner

Re: Which cable ? new [Re: James Perrett]
      #977688 - 23/03/12 10:32 AM
Quote James Perrett:

If the synth output is unbalanced then you are probably using the right cable.

What monitors are you using? If they are active PA speakers set to mic level, it is possible that their input impedance is a bit low for some devices as I know some speakers with an input impedance of only around 1k ohm on the mic level input.

James.

Hi, James,
Many thanks.
I'm using KRK 5s [RPG 2], with a volume setting of +3dB.

Cheers.
Kj

Scramble

#977710 - 23/03/12 11:57 AM
I've looked at the manual and it doesn't say anything about having a balanced output, so it won't have one (only a few modern keyboards have this). So an unbalanced cable is the right one to use.

Are you sending both channels out (ie. are you running it in stereo)? A mono output will sound less impressive than stereo. And when you say dull, what are you comparing it to? What it sounds like through headphones? What it sounds like at someone else's system? Other keyboards you've had?

And what do you mean by the pre-amp? What's in-betwen the synth and the monitors? And by live do you mean "live on stage" (I'm guessing not if you're talking about KRK).

It might also be worth having a look to see if there is some EQ setting on the final outout (esp. if it's second-hand, someone might have set this beforehand for their system).

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #977802 - 23/03/12 03:51 PM
There's absolutely nothing on the Yamaha website that tells me any electrical specs for those connections but you probably want to connect the L output to one monitor and the R output to the other monitor using standard screened jack cables (guitar cables would do). If you are just using a single cable you're only going to get a mono sound which may sound slightly less exciting than a stereo sound.

There is also a digital output which, if partnered with a high quality DAC, has the potential to give you even better sound.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

krooner

#977814 - 23/03/12 04:19 PM
Hi,Scramble
I'm running one T/S cable from the, L/mono OUTPUT of the synth to channel B of the two channel RNPre-amp.

Compared to my old, Roland E-16, which has on-board speakers, the MO8 sounds quite dull, no sizzle, despite tweaking the EQ. It does, however, sound a little better on playback, [having been recorded {cubase}].

It had been used to demo before I bought it, but as I say altering the EQ doesn't improve things much.

Many thanks,
Keith

krooner

#977827 - 23/03/12 04:36 PM
James, Hi.
From what you say, using two unbalanced cables will give me stereo, that TRS cables aren't required.

Thankyou very much for your advice.
Keith

Scramble

#977829 - 23/03/12 04:40 PM
The Hi-Z input socket you've presumably plugged into on the RNC pre-amp isn't quite the same as a line-level input, it's more designed for guitars and basses. Don't use it. Try hooking up your synth directly to the line-level input sockets on your monitors (if it has jack sockets, they'll be line-level). Or into some line-level inputs on a mixer or an audio interface. Some pre-amps have line-level inputs as well (although yours doesn't).

And yes, balanced (aka TRS) cables aren't required.

krooner

#977861 - 23/03/12 06:48 PM
Thanks, Scramble,
You and the other guys have been very helpful.

Cheers!
Keith

Scramble

#977875 - 23/03/12 08:44 PM
So did bypassing the pre-amp work?

krooner

Re: Which cable ? new [Re: Scramble]
      #977878 - 23/03/12 09:00 PM
Quote Scramble:

I'm going shopping over the weekend for a couple of cables, Scramble.

I'll post in a couple of days.

Cheers!

Keith

krooner

#977916 - 24/03/12 08:33 AM
Quote Scramble:

The Hi-Z input socket you've presumably plugged into on the RNC pre-amp isn't quite the same as a line-level input, it's more designed for guitars and basses. Don't use it. Try hooking up your synth directly to the line-level input sockets on your monitors (if it has jack sockets, they'll be line-level). Or into some line-level inputs on a mixer or an audio interface. Some pre-amps have line-level inputs as well (although yours doesn't).

And yes, balanced (aka TRS) cables aren't required.

Having just read the post, " balanced - Vs - unbalanced ", makes me wonder if, before buying unbalanced, should I consider the pseudo-balanced cables.

Thanks.
Keith

Scramble

#977925 - 24/03/12 09:43 AM
For now I would just get some standard TS/unbalanced/guitar cables from a music shop or even Maplin to test with. You should have some of these already, the ones that go from your pre-amp to your monitors (if you're using TRS/balanced cables for that, then they'll do as well).

If you notice some hum or buzz then the pseudo-balanced cables might help with that. But they won't make any difference to the dullness you're noticing with your keyboard. I'd sort that first (and it's a good idea to have spares of various cables in your room, so don't worry about having left-over cables at the end of this process).

Does your keyboard sound okay through headphones? Have you tried it through any other monitors? Have you tested your monitors with other sound sources to make sure it's not them? There's quite a few things that could be going wrong, but the most obvious problem lies in your going into the Hi-Z input.

krooner

#977943 - 24/03/12 12:14 PM
Quote Scramble:

For now I would just get some standard TS/unbalanced/guitar cables from a music shop or even Maplin to test with. You should have some of these already, the ones that go from your pre-amp to your monitors (if you're using TRS/balanced cables for that, then they'll do as well).

If you notice some hum or buzz then the pseudo-balanced cables might help with that. But they won't make any difference to the dullness you're noticing with your keyboard. I'd sort that first (and it's a good idea to have spares of various cables in your room, so don't worry about having left-over cables at the end of this process).

Does your keyboard sound okay through headphones? Have you tried it through any other monitors? Have you tested your monitors with other sound sources to make sure it's not them? There's quite a few things that could be going wrong, but the most obvious problem lies in your going into the Hi-Z input.

Hi, Scramble,
I think you've nailed it!

The synth sounds loads better through headphones, so no longer will I be going into the Hi-Z input.

Unbalanced cables it is.

I'll post with the results in a couple of days. If not, [ being a newbie ] it'll probably be because I'm wrestling with the UA-101 patchbay settings .

Many thanks for your help.
Keith

krooner

#978447 - 27/03/12 01:25 PM
Quote Scramble:

Hi, all,
Well, as advised, I've just hooked up the MO8 directly into the UA-101 with a pair of unbalanced cables, and I'm delighted at the results.
A much brighter sound, and far more sensitive to tonal, and EQ tweeks.
Also, [ I'm assuming ] running the leads straight into the interface has gotten rid of the latency problem, which I hitherto got around by having to adjust the input/output monitor volume.

Scramble, et al, many thanks once again.

Cheers!

Keith

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2816

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media