Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
stinkfinger

Can you connect iPad to iMac like a second monitor? new
      #978037 - 25/03/12 11:19 AM
I want to start using a touchscreen with Logic, I don't really have space for another monitor and I have been thinking about getting an iPad anyway. Would an iPad connect just like any other second monitor or doesn't it work like that?

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Kiwibu

Re: Can you connect iPad to iMac like a second monitor? new [Re: stinkfinger]
      #978054 - 25/03/12 03:22 PM
The connection is wireless and you will need a software application. There are several that will allow you touch control Logic such as IP Touch and Touch OSC (several other good threads on these iOS apps). There are also apps that will mirror your display and allow you to control remotely. Complaints about latency and dropouts seem to be common when using for tracking, etc.

desmond

#978086 - 25/03/12 07:00 PM
Quote stinkfinger:

I want to start using a touchscreen with Logic, I don't really have space for another monitor and I have been thinking about getting an iPad anyway. Would an iPad connect just like any other second monitor or doesn't it work like that?

It doesn't work like that.

You have to use a software application to virtually send the display screen over the network, so the performance is laggy compared to a "real" monitor - if you've ever used VNC/Remote Desktop etc then you'll know what to expect.

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #978132 - 25/03/12 11:00 PM
The Air Display app lets you do this and I thought it gave touch screen functionality but may be wrong as I haven't used it much yet and I'm away from a computer at present.

Its likely to be leggy though.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

G-Doubleyou

#978218 - 26/03/12 01:35 PM
V-Control Pro. will display your desktop, and allow you to control Logic and it's plugs.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #978271 - 26/03/12 06:15 PM
it's probably better to think of the iPad as an external controller that controls an aspect of Logic (like a virtual fader bank) rather than it being an extra monitor.....cause it can't do that. - edit - sorry, it looks like air display does do this - but i haven't tried this yet.......

so you won't 'see' logic's mixer on the iPad - you'd see a virtual control surface that controls logic's mixer

in that way, touchOSC or ac-7 core (or similar) would be a good idea....v control pro does this as well - it doesn't show your desktop - it sends to the mac and is a virtual fader/plugin control bank device

the iPad doesn't receive from the mac - it can only send to the mac.....

you have to create a wifi network for the above to work- although this is quite easy (and well explained on the web)

the advantages are that you can also control other plugin's - and some, like camel audio, have specific controller apps for software (and i reckon that this idea will catch on)

you can also buy virtual instruments for the iPad (Korg make some good ones!) that connect to the mac like an external synth

If you want to 'touch' logic's mixer directly - you might be better off with a touch screen - sometimes you can find ex shop control screens (the ones cashiers use instead of a mechanical till) for cheap.....this would be plugged into your mac as an additional monitor and can be touched to replace a mouse movement - remembering these are only really 1 finger touch screens - the iPad is multi-touch.

Other advantages for your iPad could be as a kinda demo/writing tool and as an emailer etc ..but thats another thread...

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Edited by Wease (26/03/12 06:22 PM)

Pinestreet

Loc: Sweden
Re: Can you connect iPad to iMac like a second monitor? [Re: stinkfinger]
      #978282 - 26/03/12 07:25 PM

You can... air display...

http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/air_display_review

Wease

#978292 - 26/03/12 08:18 PM
yup - you and bob are right - air display looks good -

you'll have to test it for latency tho

(infact i will probably use it for school - i shall report back!!)

--------------------

rz

Loc: ACT Australia
      #978326 - 27/03/12 02:14 AM
The IP Touch for Logic works great, cheap and the connection to the Mac and Logic is simple (wifi) - no need to involve extra software.

rz

Wease

#978365 - 27/03/12 10:02 AM
......a nice sticky with everyone's best (and worse??) logic controller apps might be a good thread....

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

Re: Can you connect iPad to iMac like a second monitor? new [Re: Wease]
      #978372 - 27/03/12 10:15 AM
Quote Wease:

......a nice sticky with everyone's best (and worse??) logic controller apps might be a good thread....

It's more-or-less got to be a Mac, hasn't it? :-)

sthum

#978403 - 27/03/12 11:37 AM
Yeah... Go on ahead and treat yourself to an iPad.. You won't regret it..

And while your at it.. If desk space is limited treat yourself to one of these..

http://twelvesouth.com/products/hoverbar/

It's pretty cool and makes a lot of sense considering your predicament?

If it had've been available last year I would've saved a lot of money.. The Hi Res iPad alone is worth the spend considering that most quality external displays cost well over £300 and are usually too big for most modest studio desks.

New iPad 3 version coming soon as well as a new adapter for previous hoverbars.. apparently!!

Edited by sthum (27/03/12 11:59 AM)

Exalted Wombat

Re: Can you connect iPad to iMac like a second monitor? new [Re: sthum]
      #978435 - 27/03/12 12:41 PM
Do you want to work on a touch-screen mounted vertically? I find them comfortable when horizontal or slightly angled. Not at all ergonomic when mounted as a standard display.

I think this current obsession with touch-screens and "swiping" (it's both a Mac and a PC thing now) might be as much about corporate uniformity - making Windows on a tablet LOOK the same as Windows on a full-size computer - as about what is really best for each type of computer and size of screen.

G-Doubleyou

Re: Can you connect iPad to iMac like a second monitor? new [Re: Wease]
      #978452 - 27/03/12 01:33 PM
Quote Wease:

it's probably better to think of the iPad as an external controller that controls an aspect of Logic (like a virtual fader bank) rather than it being an extra monitor.....cause it can't do that. - edit - sorry, it looks like air display does do this - but i haven't tried this yet.......

so you won't 'see' logic's mixer on the iPad - you'd see a virtual control surface that controls logic's mixer

in that way, touchOSC or ac-7 core (or similar) would be a good idea....v control pro does this as well - it doesn't show your desktop - it sends to the mac and is a virtual fader/plugin control bank device

the iPad doesn't receive from the mac - it can only send to the mac.....

you have to create a wifi network for the above to work- although this is quite easy (and well explained on the web)

the advantages are that you can also control other plugin's - and some, like camel audio, have specific controller apps for software (and i reckon that this idea will catch on)

you can also buy virtual instruments for the iPad (Korg make some good ones!) that connect to the mac like an external synth

If you want to 'touch' logic's mixer directly - you might be better off with a touch screen - sometimes you can find ex shop control screens (the ones cashiers use instead of a mechanical till) for cheap.....this would be plugged into your mac as an additional monitor and can be touched to replace a mouse movement - remembering these are only really 1 finger touch screens - the iPad is multi-touch.

Other advantages for your iPad could be as a kinda demo/writing tool and as an emailer etc ..but thats another thread...

The current V-Control Pro has a new V-Window feature that does display any window open on the desktop.
http://www.idesignsound.com/v-control-pro-ipad/

You do have to run their Ney-Fi app in the background.

I also have Touch Osc, So far V-control is more responsive, less latency.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
Re: Can you connect iPad to iMac like a second monitor? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #978460 - 27/03/12 02:00 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Do you want to work on a touch-screen mounted vertically? I find them comfortable when horizontal or slightly angled. Not at all ergonomic when mounted as a standard display.

Quite so. The effect is know as Gorilla Arm. From the Jargon File:-

Quote:

The side-effect that destroyed touch-screens as a mainstream input technology despite a promising start in the early 1980s. It seems the designers of all those spiffy touch-menu systems failed to notice that humans aren't designed to hold their arms in front of their faces making small motions. After more than a very few selections, the arm begins to feel sore, cramped, and oversized — the operator looks like a gorilla while using the touch screen and feels like one afterwards. This is now considered a classic cautionary tale to human-factors designers; “Remember the gorilla arm!” is shorthand for “How is this going to fly in real use?”.

Tablets and other touch screens work when you can get to them confortably. Shoving it up beside the screen is just repeating an old mistake. Reinventing the tarpit?

CC

--------------------
Somehow the future isn't what it used to be.
Mr Punch's Studio

sthum

Re: Can you connect iPad to iMac like a second monitor? new [Re: ConcertinaChap]
      #979194 - 30/03/12 06:14 PM

Quote:

Tablets and other touch screens work when you can get to them confortably. Shoving it up beside the screen is just repeating an old mistake. Reinventing the tarpit?

CC

My understanding is that the likes of the HoverBar is quite flexible in that you can attach it to pretty much anything... So you could have it anywhere around the screen or clamped to your desk so it's just set at arms length.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6181

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media