Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: DragonLogos]
      #981846 - 13/04/12 08:01 AM
Yes, on reflection that would be pretty bad.

Handbags it is, then.

(Nice use of the semicolon, by the way.)

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

Loc: East London
      #982070 - 14/04/12 11:33 PM
Something that ppl might want to consider is that a lot of sites (social networking / Banking etc) require that the user takes precautions to minimize data theft, ie virus or malware infection, there will soon come a point were saying your OS is exempt from such a ruling will not cut it... and lets face it some ppl will do anything to get out of doing what they should

--------------------
www.dragonlogos.co.uk

Exalted Wombat

Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: Tui]
      #982114 - 15/04/12 11:32 AM
Quote Tui:

How could it be considered illegal or illegitimate when a company wants to protect their own products? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Yup. But it happened.

DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

Loc: East London
      #982538 - 16/04/12 08:20 PM
New version of Mac OS X Trojan exploits Word, not Java

Quote:

The new version of the Trojan uses malformed Word documents to open a backdoor for remote hackers to steal information or install further code. Just like many recent variants of Mac-specific Trojans, OS X users may be caught off guard as there is no prompt to enter your username or password when the malicious software installs itself onto your Mac

Full Story From ZDNet Here

--------------------
www.dragonlogos.co.uk

Exalted Wombat

#982626 - 17/04/12 09:37 AM
Quote DragonLogos:

Quote:

The new version of the Trojan uses malformed Word documents to open a backdoor for remote hackers to steal information or install further code. Just like many recent variants of Mac-specific Trojans, OS X users may be caught off guard as there is no prompt to enter your username or password when the malicious software installs itself onto your Mac

Can't get to the site. Perhaps it's hosted on a Mac? (Sorry, I can't help being just a LITTLE gleeful. I'm sympathetic really :-)

What's security like on the iToys? The lifestyle of continually installing new Apps seems risky. Microsoft are jumping on the App bandwagon too, with Windows 8. Wasn't the whole idea of security that you set up a computer with the applications you needed then USED it, rather than downloading every cute little program that caught your eye?

johnny h

Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #982635 - 17/04/12 10:23 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote DragonLogos:

Quote:

Can't get to the site. Perhaps it's hosted on a Mac? (Sorry, I can't help being just a LITTLE gleeful. I'm sympathetic really :-)

What's security like on the iToys? The lifestyle of continually installing new Apps seems risky. Microsoft are jumping on the App bandwagon too, with Windows 8. Wasn't the whole idea of security that you set up a computer with the applications you needed then USED it, rather than downloading every cute little program that caught your eye?

You make no sense. What's iToys? What's WITH the excess use of RATHER random capitalisation?

Exalted Wombat

Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: johnny h]
      #982639 - 17/04/12 10:32 AM
Quote johnny h:

Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote DragonLogos:

Quote:

You make no sense. What's iToys? What's WITH the excess use of RATHER random capitalisation?

iPads, iPhones ... you know, the things you download Apps on to. But you knew that.

Nothing random about my capitals. They are there for emphasis. A standard technique. This would BE random. BUT you knew that ALLready really too, didn't YOU? :-)

What IS security like on the iThingies?

johnny h

#982646 - 17/04/12 11:13 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote:

iPads, iPhones ... you know, the things you download Apps on to. But you knew that.

Nothing random about my capitals. They are there for emphasis. A standard technique. This would BE random. BUT you knew that ALLready really too, didn't YOU? :-)

What IS security like on the iThingies?

With that kind of smugness I do hope you haven't left your teens. Answering your question, and assuming your hilariously witty term "iThingies" (sides have indeed split) refers to iPhones and iPads, security is extremely high. There are no viruses in the wild which affect either.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: johnny h]
      #982671 - 17/04/12 12:39 PM
Quote johnny h:

With that kind of smugness I do hope you haven't left your teens. Answering your question, and assuming your hilariously witty term "iThingies" (sides have indeed split) refers to iPhones and iPads, security is extremely high. There are no viruses in the wild which affect either.

Back in your pram. They're only computers. Not a religion. I AM allowed to mock them!

johnny h

#982692 - 17/04/12 02:35 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote johnny h:

Back in your pram. They're only computers. Not a religion. I AM allowed to mock them!

You are allowed, certainly. As for capable, the jury's still out....

Will_m

Loc: Manchester
      #982725 - 17/04/12 06:25 PM
Just a heads up as it seems another one is around now too:

http://www.techspot.com/news/48213-sabpub-mac-trojan-spreads-through-micro soft-office-vulnerability.html

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: Will_m]
      #982742 - 17/04/12 08:18 PM
Having read about this earlier my guess is it would affect few people here. Nevertheless it's more evidence (if it were needed) that security through obscurity for the Mac is now sadly dead and buried. RIP.

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

narcoman

Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: ConcertinaChap]
      #982745 - 17/04/12 08:23 PM
Quote ConcertinaChap:

Having read about this earlier my guess is it would affect few people here. Nevertheless it's more evidence (if it were needed) that security through obscurity for the Mac is now sadly dead and buried. RIP.

CC

yeah - but y'know... a handful of issues next to the thousands a week on the "other one"....

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #982764 - 17/04/12 10:30 PM
What is it about computers that makes people so savagely hostile to each other? It's almost as bad as football supporters

As has already been mentioned, all software has bugs, and as it gets steadily more complex and interwoven I would expect vulnerabilities to correspondingly increase. However, something like antivirus is not a solution. It should be part of a managed risk reduction, which starts about a metre away from the screen! If you're on any kind network your security boundary should include a decent firewall there, not inside the computer. Stop most of the buggers at your garden gate, not the back door.

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

chris...

Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: Folderol]
      #982767 - 17/04/12 10:43 PM
Quote Folderol:

all software has bugs

Yep - but experience has shown some software has more bugs than others...

Quote:

something like antivirus is not a solution. It should be part of a managed risk reduction

That.

Quote:

If you're on any kind network your security boundary should include a decent firewall there, not inside the computer. Stop most of the buggers at your garden gate, not the back door.

Yep - or at least, 10 years ago. Nowadays much of the stuff-to-be-worried-about comes via the web, and most firewalls are configured to pass HTTP...

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #982806 - 18/04/12 09:15 AM
Quote Folderol:

What is it about computers that makes people so savagely hostile to each other? It's almost as bad as football supporters

It is the new racism/classism. Just as idiotic and ultimately pointless.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

desmond

#982828 - 18/04/12 10:32 AM
Quote Folderol:

Because in the main, your choices of platform reflect on your values and tastes, so criticising your platform is often taken as a direct personal criticism right to the core of your self - hence why people flare up so much.

People should chill, really.

And when I say "people", I largely mean "people on the internets". People seem to be a little more sane IRL...

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: narcoman]
      #982829 - 18/04/12 10:37 AM
Quote narcoman:

yeah - but y'know... a handful of issues next to the thousands a week on the "other one"....

Yeah - but, like, I remember when the first viruses appeared back in the 90s. There weren't thousands then. There was a dribble. Now there's a flood. One difference from the 90s is that malware writers were thin on the ground then, there's a lot more now. One can hope that they will all keep their attention fixed on the PC but I'm not going to bet the mortgage on it.

Hey ho.

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Re: Over 600 000 MACs infected with Flashback Malware new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #982832 - 18/04/12 10:47 AM
Quote Richie Royale:

It is the new racism/classism.

And narcism.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 25722

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media