Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Parco

Loc: Hong Kong
What is the best way to boost the IRQ priorities in Windows 7 for the best audio sounds?
      #981252 - 10/04/12 05:36 AM
for example if the IRQ number of my SIIG firewire card connected to my audio interface is IRQ18.
Then if i boost the IRQ priorities in registries, which of the settngs should I use would get the best sounds?

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 1
IRQ8 priority 1

or

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 2
IRQ8 priority 2

or

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 2
IRQ8 priority 3

or

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 3
IRQ8 priority 2

?

--------------------
Cubase 5.1 + Foobar2000 -> ASIO + MMCSS + Windows7 -> SIIG TI chips 1394 PCIe -> Echo AudioFire 4 -> HH MX250 + Wharf Delta70
A native USA style contemporary R&B artist in HongKong

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
robinv

Re: What is the best way to boost the IRQ priorities in Windows 7 for the best audio sounds? new [Re: Parco]
      #981273 - 10/04/12 09:06 AM
What sort of problems are you getting in order for you to think you need to do this?

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Parco

Re: What is the best way to boost the IRQ priorities in Windows 7 for the best audio sounds? new [Re: robinv]
      #981298 - 10/04/12 10:37 AM
for less audio latency by IRQ as possible it can

--------------------
Cubase 5.1 + Foobar2000 -> ASIO + MMCSS + Windows7 -> SIIG TI chips 1394 PCIe -> Echo AudioFire 4 -> HH MX250 + Wharf Delta70

robinv

Re: What is the best way to boost the IRQ priorities in Windows 7 for the best audio sounds? new [Re: Parco]
      #981302 - 10/04/12 11:21 AM
Quote Parco:

Ok, so everything is working ok, you just want lower latency on your audio interface? I'm not convinced you're going to achieve anything. Windows 7 manages all those things far better than any previous OS where prioritising was seen to be helpful. If you are trying to resolve crackles in Windows XP then it's something worth looking at, but if you're not getting crackles in the audio then the only way to get lower latency with your current setup is for the manufacturer to write you some better drivers.

At least as far as i can see. But you best bet is to try it out, do some tests and then report back if you experience any differences.

--------------------

johnny h

#981305 - 10/04/12 11:25 AM
Quote Parco:

You've got it wrong... you don't mess around with IRQs these days. Its not 1998.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #981319 - 10/04/12 11:55 AM
Quote Parco:

Then if i boost the IRQ priorities in registries, which of the settngs should I use would get the best sounds?

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 1
IRQ8 priority 1

or

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 2
IRQ8 priority 2

or

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 2
IRQ8 priority 3

or

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 3
IRQ8 priority 2

What genre? I find that IRQ8 priority 1 is more gritty, while priority 2 gives a warmer texture.

Parco

Re: What is the best way to boost the IRQ priorities in Windows 7 for the best audio sounds? new [Re: BJG145]
      #981323 - 10/04/12 12:23 PM
IRQ 0

System timer

This interrupt is reserved for the internal system timer. It is never available to peripherals or other devices.

IRQ 8

Real-time clock

This interrupt is reserved for the system's real-time clock timer and can not be used for any other purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt_request

--------------------

OneWorld

#981338 - 10/04/12 02:19 PM
Quote Parco:

for example if the IRQ number of my SIIG firewire card connected to my audio interface is IRQ18.

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 1
IRQ8 priority 1

or

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 2
IRQ8 priority 2

or

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 2
IRQ8 priority 3

or

IRQ18 priority 1
IRQ0 priority 3
IRQ8 priority 2

?

What latency figures are you getting already? What are we trying to beat here? I thin most modern interfaces, like Hammerfall/Motu etc can easily achieve something like 3millisecs and I don't think you'd get much improvement on that?

Parco

#981474 - 11/04/12 08:38 AM
Hi guys, I've just tested all the IRQ priority settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl.
and I've found that IRQ18=1, IRQ0=2, IRQ8=2 and IRQ18=1, IRQ0=1, IRQ8=1 are both better than all the other combinations.

And the combination of IRQ18=1, IRQ0=1, IRQ8=1 made a little bit better result than the another combination.
It give the most details, the most transparency, and the least noises come out, in acoustic hearing, the most thinnest high freq. and the most heavy shocking earthquake-like natural bass.

But of course, it cannot be defined by ears.
Everytime when I open my foobar2000 and start to test, I've also just open the firmware statistic monitor from the official driver of my Echo AudioFire 4 called "FireWire Analyzer" and compare abouth their ASIO buffer in/out total time, ASIO wakeup time and ASIO host time.

I've found that it's too WTF if the priority of IRQ0 and IRQ8 are not the same. It would made the most i/o, wakeup and host time, the most latency and heard too damn noisy.

But the priority of IRQ0 and IRQ8 are not the same, e.g. both 1 or both 2, then it would made more and more less i/o, wakeup and host time, more and more less latency.

And I've tried to repeat the experiment again and again, I've found the combination of IRQ18=1, IRQ0=1, IRQ8=1 makes the least i/o, wakeup and host time, and the least latency, even I can see the system can become the most stable, and the most fast responses, just like the whole system got a little bit faster.

Quite strange, is it?

--------------------

robinv

#981605 - 11/04/12 07:02 PM
Quote Parco:

Quite strange, is it?

That, my friend, is not the half of it.

--------------------

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #981633 - 11/04/12 10:25 PM
Indeed, I think you've entered the Twilight Zone

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 3989

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media