jonsug

Reason: copy pattern to track problem
      #981798 - 12/04/12 07:57 PM
hi
using reason 4, say i got a thor synth, into eq, into matrix,
im arranging, so i select the thor in arrange page, then copy
matrix pattern to thor track.

now when i play back the arrange page, the sound has changed,
like its gone up in pitch. i turn off the pattern in matrix, same problem.

read the manual, it says cv curve is not copied, i thought that was it,
but its not.

the whole sound kinda changes.

i just created a thor, then matrix, then eq in middle of them, when the pattern plays in matrix it sounds like i want it, something changes when i copy it to track.

curve cv on back of matrix is not connected, i dont think its curve related as i made a duplicate copy of pattern and changed cv settings, it didnt make a diff to my "wanted" sound.

so im thinking i record its audio into logic, but reason rewired track is not record enabling. so i have to solve problem in reason, as i cant export audio from matrix pattern.

the change in sound, is like the bass end has gone, the melody is still there, but sounds transposed, an octave, or some synth parameter changed too, sound is diff, and the pitch is messed up, could be in key, but it does sound wrong.

clip on matrix track produces silence. unless the matrix is running. i wanna turn off matrix and run sequencer, to arrange and export audio.

when i run sequencer and matrix, i get both, the wanted sound, and the unwanted sound.

thought it might be automation ive accidently recorded, but nothing is moving in thor, and theres no automation track.

tested:
new reason song, make a thor, make a matrix, randomize pattern, copy to track, turn off matrix, the sound is very diff when played via sequencer. maybe it has something to do with the "run" in the title of the preset? issue is not there with other presets.

i just want to use the sound im working with (matrix + thor), like i have,
then use it to make a track, ie arrange it, export audio etc. you should be able
to do this, if the sound is sounding like that at one stage, it should be useable in
sequencer....

anyone know how to solve this?

if not...gotta be a workaround.

maybe exporting midi file, into logic, playing back thor via rewire.
just tried this, same problem, same wrong sounding affect.
audio hijack application maybe, record the audio of reason, import into logic and arrange. sigh.
or assign thor to its own logic track, and control it via mute etc on logic channel strip, whatever is playing thru logic should bounce to audio.... i think...

thanks for any help given.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Chevytraveller

Loc: London
Re: Reason: copy pattern to track problem new [Re: jonsug]
      #981801 - 12/04/12 08:17 PM
It does sound odd, that.. can you save a copy of the song or combine the elements into a .cmb patch, then I could try to reproduce the fault here?

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

jonsug

#981803 - 12/04/12 08:28 PM
thanks for replying.

try it yourself, new reason song, thor, percutron [run] preset, matrix, randomize pattern,
copy it to sequencer. Ive done this with a new reason song, and same problem.

Chevytraveller

#981812 - 12/04/12 08:50 PM
Seems to be behaving ok on Reason 6.. which version are you on?.. that only thing I can think is that patch uses some quite complex velocity->Pitch mapping which can produce some quite wild results which slight changes in velocity.
Have you tried the same technique with a different patch?..

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

jonsug

Re: Reason: copy pattern to track problem new [Re: Chevytraveller]
      #981815 - 12/04/12 09:01 PM
im on reason 4.
you tried it on the same patch that im using?
yeah i tried it on other thor patches, the problem was not there,
its only on the patch that i said, note the word "run" in preset name.

think rewire into logic solves it.
just ran thor + matrix into logic, bounce down a coupla bars to audio in logic,
import the audio into logic and arrange away. yeh just did this test, its a workaround.

thanks for trying/helping

Chevytraveller

#981820 - 12/04/12 10:00 PM
Might be a bug in 4.. I suspect it may be a velocity discrepancy when pasting to track.. it's shown up by the fact that patch has a lot of velocity modulation input
It's certainly ok in 6..

good luck with it

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2327

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media