Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mike Sullivan

Loc: Ashland, KY, USA
Holy sub output!
      #984541 - 26/04/12 09:25 PM
Maybe some of you guys can explain this to me...I'm running a Mackie VLZ3 into a Berry FBQ3102, which goes right out to my EV's. At first, I ran them stereo with the cable going from EQ to 15 to 18 subs, then tried the aux-fed sub approach (feeding the subwoofer signal from an aux send) in an attempt to tailor the bass. The output just didn't sound right, even though the subs have a LPF built in...Tried the "Sub Out" on the rear of the EQ into one channel of an MDX2600 (for output control) and barely turned it up and WOW! The signal was so much fuller sounding, so much that I have to turn it down -20dB to bring the signal into equilibrium. Can anyone explain why the signal from the subwoofer output is so much higher than a typical aux send? Actually, with this method, the subwoofers sound like they're actually getting a LOT louder than they used to.

--------------------
Ice Cold Productions Live Sound & Lighting
Just your average small town sound guy.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mike Sullivan

Loc: Ashland, KY, USA
Re: Holy sub output! new [Re: Mike Sullivan]
      #985864 - 05/05/12 06:39 AM
Nobody able to give me a diagnosis? From the sounds of it, the "sub out" has a much hotter output to me. I'll have to play with it in a venue without a crazy old lady calling the cops on us once a night if you can hear a peep outside...fml

--------------------
Ice Cold Productions Live Sound & Lighting
Just your average small town sound guy.

seablade

Re: Holy sub output! new [Re: Mike Sullivan]
      #985950 - 05/05/12 07:26 PM
Quote Mike Sullivan:

Nobody able to give me a diagnosis? From the sounds of it, the "sub out" has a much hotter output to me. I'll have to play with it in a venue without a crazy old lady calling the cops on us once a night if you can hear a peep outside...fml

Think about what is going on with an aux fed sub. You are sending a full range signal to a crossover that gets rid of most of the signal. So you have to increase gain significantly to get a full line level signal again. Chances are the EQ is doing this automatically, but normally this is what you use output gain on a system processor for.

Seablade

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1856

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media