Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Parco

Loc: Hong Kong
Strange problem of my Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer new
      #984460 - 26/04/12 03:03 PM
I've a Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer which is the old models made in USA (not china like VLZ3).
And it have a strange problem.

the stereo control-room/headphone output bus always just work with the left channel.

When the mixer is just turned on, that bus always only work with the left ch.,
until I make some noise into the line-in/mic in a very loud level (until the yellow or red lights in the meter) then both of L/R ch. work fine.
But after a while without any analog level input (just like "cold down"), it become just work with L ch. again! until the next very loud signal input again.

So strange! so why would it be work like that? and how can i solve?

--------------------
Cubase 5.1 + Foobar2000 -> ASIO + MMCSS + Windows7 -> SIIG TI chips 1394 PCIe -> Echo AudioFire 4 -> HH MX250 + Wharf Delta70
A native USA style contemporary R&B artist in HongKong

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Strange problem of my Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer new [Re: Parco]
      #984464 - 26/04/12 03:22 PM
I think this is a common and well known fault with Mackie desks of that era. I believe it is caused by corrosion on multi-wire jumper cables that link the various circuit boards. A strong enough signal causes the corrosion to break down and the resistance to fall so that normal signals pass again, but the corrosion quickly returns.

The only solution is to have the wire links replaced and the terminals cleaned or replaced. There was a standard repair kit available for a while but I don't know if it's still available.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #984465 - 26/04/12 03:22 PM
Hi Parco

There are several possiblilities.

The first thing that cones to mind is bad contact due to dirt, dust. Do you use the same channel every time for your mic? If so try a different channel when the problem shows up. If the problem is no longer there then the issue might be in the insert socket which can be cleaned with Deoxit and a jack plug.

If the problem remains when you try another channel then there is a possibility the headphone socket itself needs cleaning the same way.

These are the first things I would try, everything else requires taking the mixer apart.

Any good?

Ah, slow thumbs. Just saw your post, H. Is that specific to this headphone section or all the wiring in the Mackie desks? I've been scrubbing my old original 1202 out periodically with various preparations over the years and not been able to shake certain niggly dropout problems.

--------------------
Onward and outward

Edited by shufflebeat (26/04/12 03:28 PM)

Parco

Re: Strange problem of my Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #984484 - 26/04/12 03:59 PM
hi shufflebeat,

The problem is just the control-room/headphone bus/channels and the 3-4-alt, main-out, aux-in/out, tapes, and all the input channels are completely alright.
And I think that may not only the problem of the physical in/out ports, even the meter lights work in the same problem, when only L ch. work, only the meter lights of L ch. work; and when the both channels work, all the meter lights work, so i guess there may the problem(s) inside the bus currents and not just the connecting plugs/ports.

And all of the ports and knobs had been cleaned with plenty amount of CRC Co Contact Cleaner already before.
http://www.crc.co.nz/Automotive-Cleaners--Degreasers-Electrical-Cleaners/p 1/CO-Contact-Cleaner-i960025f2-8a28-4cdf-b2e6-e4c96d6b5b86-6538.htm

--------------------
Cubase 5.1 + Foobar2000 -> ASIO + MMCSS + Windows7 -> SIIG TI chips 1394 PCIe -> Echo AudioFire 4 -> HH MX250 + Wharf Delta70

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #984509 - 26/04/12 07:09 PM
Right ho.

Having read Hugh's post I'll be searching out my old 1202 to explore the issues with that so I'd appreciate if you could post back with your own progress.

--------------------
Onward and outward

Parco

Re: Strange problem of my Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #984783 - 28/04/12 10:24 AM
hi shufflebeat and Hugh,

So would this problem just stay permanent?
would it be getting a little bit better and better until all alright when I just switch on the mixer everyday to "burn-in"?
Or would it be getting a little worse and worse and spread the problem all around the whole mixer until the whole mixer down?

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#984794 - 28/04/12 11:27 AM
Worse and worse... it needs servicing and those dodgy links (assuming that really is what it is) have to be replaced. Given the difficulty of accessing the innards of Mackie desks, servicing costs (at least in the UK) are likely to be quite high and it might well be more cost effective to get something else. YMMV

hugh

--------------------

Jeraldo

Re: Strange problem of my Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #984823 - 28/04/12 03:50 PM
A curiosity question only-are you still using your 1402 or have your work habits changed-and if you are still using a small analogue mixer did you replace it with a VLZ3?

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Strange problem of my Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer new [Re: Jeraldo]
      #984827 - 28/04/12 04:03 PM
I still the the 1402 occasionally for little jobs, but tend to record straight into the SADiE LRX these days and monitor either through my own bespoke monitor controller or a Grace Design M902.

hugh

--------------------

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
      #984925 - 29/04/12 07:11 PM
Recently, I've been having the same problem with my Mackie 1402 VLZ PRO. I only use for monitoring, but still, the dropouts are a bit disconcerting. I've been thinking of replacing it with something like a Yamaha MG166C or MG124C. How do they compare with the Mackies, in terms of noise and frequency range?

BlueGuy

Loc: Sweden
      #984950 - 29/04/12 09:57 PM
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but:

On my Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro, when I raise the volume I get crackling and uneven balance until I reach a somewhat loud volume. I suppose it's the same problem, with corrosion? Is it a big job to fix or is it just about replacing the the main mix & submix knobs?

I am not a techie and not interested in soldering... is it expensive to have fixed? :P

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Strange problem of my Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer [Re: Parco]
      #984964 - 30/04/12 06:50 AM
Need some nice corrosion resistant Chinese wires!

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4581

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media