Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Shostakovich

Loc: West Dorset, UK.
Where to next?
      #985900 - 05/05/12 11:37 AM
I've had my own website since 2000, mostly showing photos of various travels, and recordings of my latest music. A small group of friends used to enjoy regular visits, but it all seems a bit old hat now that it's so much easier to share large files with people. So the website's coming down soon.

My question really is about getting ideas as to how and where to upload my music online. I prefer to avoid YouTube or anything to do with Google, but would like to think about an easily accessible way of 'broadcasting' my music, either as video or audio only, and preferably with the highest possible quality. Any recommendations?

--------------------
Excelling at mediocrity for 60 years.

Edited by Shostakovich (05/05/12 11:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
JPHogg

Re: Where to next? new [Re: Shostakovich]
      #985935 - 05/05/12 04:46 PM
Soundcloud is very good. It only let's you listen to mp3's at 128kpbs I think, but there is an option to allow download of wavs.

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #985940 - 05/05/12 06:06 PM
There is also a limit on how many times a track can be downloaded as well as a limit to the amount of server space - however if you go for the paid service the former is removed and the latter dramatically expanded.

The download option will return files in whatever format they were uploaded, so be careful about using a format that isn't very well known - wav is safest, but don't forget about that server space.

If you're a cheapskate (like me) you can use the Internet Archive. Completely free. No limitations and again you can upload in any format. It also transcodes and makes the transcoded versions available too. e.g I uploaded a flac file and it showed flac, ogg & mp3.

Soundcloud has a better layout and better connected community but IA somehow seems more permanent.

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

Shostakovich

Loc: West Dorset, UK.
      #986117 - 07/05/12 10:11 AM
Many thanks, I'll take a look at those.

--------------------
Excelling at mediocrity for 60 years.

Exalted Wombat

#986118 - 07/05/12 10:17 AM
Quote Shostakovich:

My question really is about getting ideas as to how and where to upload my music online. I prefer to avoid YouTube or anything to do with Google, but would like to think about an easily accessible way of 'broadcasting' my music, either as video or audio only, and preferably with the highest possible quality. Any recommendations?

What is your objection to YouTube/Google? Google has taken on the mission of indexing the Internet, and is making a pretty good job of it. It's the first place people look for anything. Why reject it, if you WANT your music to be heard?

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Where to next? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #986221 - 07/05/12 11:54 PM
I agree with EW - a HUGE number of people browse YouTube, and if your music appears high up in a Google search then even more people are likely to hear it

Why limit your choices?

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Re: Where to next? new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #986234 - 08/05/12 01:45 AM
Quote Martin Walker:

I agree with EW - a HUGE number of people browse YouTube, and if your music appears high up in a Google search then even more people are likely to hear it

Why limit your choices?

Martin

Last I looked, they said they (youtube) pretty much own you and your sons for 7 generations, in terms of use rights of your songs. I guess maybe better heard at all, than not heard but you've got all the rights is a reasonable way to look at it as well ...

?

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

johnny h

Re: Where to next? new [Re: alexis]
      #986264 - 08/05/12 08:58 AM
Quote alexis:

Quote Martin Walker:

Why limit your choices?

Martin

Last I looked, they said they (youtube) pretty much own you and your sons for 7 generations, in terms of use rights of your songs. I guess maybe better heard at all, than not heard but you've got all the rights is a reasonable way to look at it as well ...

?

They are just covering themselves. They wouldn't be quite as stupid as to start ripping people off and stealing their content. I guess you never know, but life is too short to be concerned about that kind of thing.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3401

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media