Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
dickiefunk

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Yamaha 01V - Noisy? new
      #985977 - 06/05/12 12:26 AM
Hi,

I'm using a Yamaha 01V with my JBL rig at the moment and noticed that there can be quite a bit of hiss on occasions.

Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha 01V is noisy? I don't really have anything to compare it to but the specs on the Yamaha website look like the pres should be pretty quiet!??

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
TheChorltonWheelie

Re: Yamaha 01V - Noisy? new [Re: dickiefunk]
      #985991 - 06/05/12 07:59 AM
Quote dickiefunk:

Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha 01V is noisy?

How much gain are you using on the input, and what mic are you using? I've used 01v's for year, although not recently, and they were never that noisy from memory (and I'm a bit of a noise police man too!). You could gate it straight from the desk, but that kind of defeats the issue as you're not getting to the root of the problem.

chris...

Re: Yamaha 01V - Noisy? new [Re: TheChorltonWheelie]
      #985996 - 06/05/12 09:57 AM
Agree - if noticing noise, then something may be wrong.

(unless using a very low-output mic, with the gain cranked way up)

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #986001 - 06/05/12 10:43 AM
What JBLs are you using?

--------------------
Anagrams can be fnu.

dickiefunk

Re: Yamaha 01V - Noisy? new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #986002 - 06/05/12 10:45 AM
Quote shufflebeat:

What JBLs are you using?

EON 15 G2's. Also tried the EON 515XT's.

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

seablade

#986004 - 06/05/12 10:52 AM
Quote dickiefunk:

Hi,

I'm using a Yamaha 01V with my JBL rig at the moment and noticed that there can be quite a bit of hiss on occasions.

Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha 01V is noisy? I don't really have anything to compare it to but the specs on the Yamaha website look like the pres should be pretty quiet!??

If this is the original O1v, then yes noise can be a problem, particularly if using the compressors in it and the Omni Outs if I remember right are also noisy. The converters in that console were only 16 bit, so using a heav(ier) compression and makeup gain results in a fair amount of noise on the channel, and having to do it multiple times makes it that much worse going off memory. And I remember either the Omni Outs or the OptionIO were noiser, to the point of I bypassed them completely last time I had to use that console. Pretty certain it was the Omni Outs.

The O1V96i on the other hand, the few times I have run it now, has not had that problem and seems much improved in general over the original. But I haven't really had a chance to put it through it's paces yet.

Seablade

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #986005 - 06/05/12 11:01 AM
Quote dickiefunk:

Quote shufflebeat:

What JBLs are you using?

EON 15 G2's. Also tried the EON 515XT's.

Were you using there speakers with another desk previously with better noise floor? (Please excuse basic q?s. Just isolating the issue).

--------------------
Anagrams can be fnu.

dickiefunk

#986008 - 06/05/12 11:37 AM
To be honest I've not really a/b'd another desk. I am definitely noticing the omni outs being very noisy!

The gain is generally set around 9 o'clock so not very high and the faders are roughly between -15 and 0.

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

Dishpan

#986072 - 06/05/12 08:39 PM
> If this is the original O1v, then yes noise can be a problem, particularly if using the compressors in it and the Omni Outs if I remember right are also noisy. The converters in that console were only 16 bit, so using a heav(ier) compression and makeup gain results in a fair amount of noise on the channel, and having to do it multiple times makes it that much worse going off memory.

Convertors in the 01v are 20 bit. The convertors aren't a problem but the preamps are (in my opinion) horrid and very noisy.

dickiefunk

Re: Yamaha 01V - Noisy? [Re: dickiefunk]
      #986114 - 07/05/12 09:34 AM
Just been reading that the 01V had a grounding issue which is fixable by soldering a wire between ST201 and ST202? Will get this looked at and see if this makes any difference?

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

seablade

Re: Yamaha 01V - Noisy? new [Re: Dishpan]
      #986127 - 07/05/12 10:55 AM
Quote Dishpan:

Convertors in the 01v are 20 bit. The convertors aren't a problem but the preamps are (in my opinion) horrid and very noisy.

Technically the Input and Omni Out converters are listed as 18-Bit actually.

The Master Out and Option IO converters on the other hand are listed as 20 Bit and 16-24 Bit respectively.

In actual reality the performance is similar to 16 Bit in my experience in how you have to utilize them (Gain closer to max, etc.) in a live situation to get a decent sound, along with all my comments above. Even the digital IO allows for a better conversion range, but since you can't seperate the preamps from the limited converters, it is very difficult to tell exactly what the problem is there. I don't remember the preamps themselves being to noisy but it has been some time since I have been on that console thankfully. For some reason there was a brief stint where everyone and their mother had one of those for live sound and I hated it.

Seablade

seablade

#986129 - 07/05/12 10:58 AM
Quote dickiefunk:

Just been reading that the 01V had a grounding issue which is fixable by soldering a wire between ST201 and ST202? Will get this looked at and see if this makes any difference?

This was the first I heard of it so I looked it up. No in this case it affected really an early shipment of O1V mixers, and the primary symptom it fixed was random reboots. It is exceedingly unlikely to help with the problems you are noticing I would bet.

Seablade

Dishpan

Re: Yamaha 01V - Noisy? new [Re: seablade]
      #986131 - 07/05/12 11:12 AM
> Technically the Input and Omni Out converters are listed as 18-Bit actually.

The inputs use 20 bit convertors. Yes, omni outs are 18 but this won't be a reason the desk would sound noisy.

My main point is that it won't be the convertors that are causing all this noise (unless the machine is faulty!), but more likely incorrect gain staging or the preamps being used with high gain.

> For some reason there was a brief stint where everyone and their mother had one of those for live sound and I hated it.

Ditto

seablade

Re: Yamaha 01V - Noisy? new [Re: Dishpan]
      #986134 - 07/05/12 11:55 AM
Quote Dishpan:

> Technically the Input and Omni Out converters are listed as 18-Bit actually.

The inputs use 20 bit convertors. Yes, omni outs are 18 but this won't be a reason the desk would sound noisy.

Hmm you seem to be correct, they list the inputs as 20 bit, but they don't act like it, nor do they list the dynamic range as what it should be for a 20 bit convertor(Listed at 105dB AD/DA on their spec page on the yamaha site). However that being said...

Quote:

My main point is that it won't be the convertors that are causing all this noise (unless the machine is faulty!), but more likely incorrect gain staging or the preamps being used with high gain.

I have literally, taken the exact same input, exact same mix, and routed it to the Omni-Out and the Option IO simultaneously. The Option IO was much quieter than the Omni Out(I physically repatched cabling between them and listened), which yes can be attributed to more than just the convertor, but the convertor does not help in this case. And I can pretty well guarantee my gain staging is just about as good as you will get. Considering it was line level signals coming in, the preamp noise wasn't even an issue, it is entirely on the output and quality of the output in this case, which those are the only outputs with the lower DA conversion stage.

So yes there is far more going on than simply noisy preamps or bad gain staging with that board, sorry. Most of my experience on that board used line level sources, either playback or radio mics with their own pre-amps built in so I may not have even noticed noisy preamps(And indeed they aren't that noisy in my memory), but I did notice quite a few things other than that in that console. As I mentioned, the O1V96i, even running at 48k seems to be a great improvement in many ways thus far compared to the original.

Seablade

dickiefunk

Re: Yamaha 01V - Noisy? new [Re: seablade]
      #986399 - 08/05/12 07:23 PM
Quote seablade:

I have literally, taken the exact same input, exact same mix, and routed it to the Omni-Out and the Option IO simultaneously. The Option IO was much quieter than the Omni Out(I physically repatched cabling between them and listened),

I may not have even noticed noisy preamps(And indeed they aren't that noisy in my memory)

Seablade

This is interesting. My 01V came with the Option I/O card. Is it possible to send the auxes out of the I/O card and would I get less noise?

Also it would be great if the pres aren't that noisy as I can't really afford to upgrade to the 01V96 for quite a while!

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

seablade

#986413 - 08/05/12 08:35 PM
Quote dickiefunk:

This is interesting. My 01V came with the Option I/O card. Is it possible to send the auxes out of the I/O card and would I get less noise?

It most certainly is possible, and you should certainly try it.

Seablade

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4114

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media