Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
markjosefmusic

Transposing Key / Pitch
      #986616 - 09/05/12 09:51 PM
Hi all,
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but a bit new on this subject matter. I currently have all my backing tracks as WAV files and have been using Audacity for basic chopping and changing as I need. However the key change facility in Audacity is a wee bit limited and greatly changes the dynamics of the sound at anything above 1 key up or down. I then had a go with a friends system and he uses Magix Samplitude 11. This is a bit more advanced than I actually need but the key change is obviously better than Audacity. I did still find that dynamics were changed which I then tried to pull back with the mixer function. So.... my question is, what is considered to be the best industry software with regards to changing the key / pitch of songs? I appreciate that I will always have to pay for more technology than I actually need. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.......Mark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
RancorBeast

Re: Transposing Key / Pitch new [Re: markjosefmusic]
      #986624 - 09/05/12 11:21 PM
I believe Melodyne DNA is the current industry leader in mono and polyphonic pitch change.

markjosefmusic

Re: Transposing Key / Pitch new [Re: RancorBeast]
      #986646 - 10/05/12 07:57 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. Melodyne had actually come up in a conversation I had a while ago with a guy in my local music shop. I'll have a search around to see what info I can dig up on it.

Best regards..........Mark

Scramble

#986686 - 10/05/12 10:16 AM
>greatly changes the dynamics of the sound at anything above 1 key up or down

Do you mean it changes the tone? (Assume by 'key' you mean 'semitone'.)

Melodyne is an industry leader, but even Melodyne starts to sound crap when you use it to raise the pitch more than a tone and a half. Backing vocals will allow you to get away with it more than lead vocals, at least.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Transposing Key / Pitch new [Re: RancorBeast]
      #986696 - 10/05/12 10:54 AM
Quote RancorBeast:

I believe Melodyne DNA is the current industry leader in mono and polyphonic pitch change.

Melodyne is great for doing the AutoTune sort of stuff on individual tracks in a recording. I think you're talking about pitch-shifting whole sections of a complete backing track though?

The Waves plugin is good, but expensive. Most wav editors and DAWs come with their own version. Depending on source, a couple of semitones shift may sound horrible or going as far as a 4th may be acceptable. It helps if the original isn't drenched in reverb, and if it's a wav not a compressed MP3 (and never HAS been a MP3 - the quality can't be put back by simply converting to wav - which counts out most downloaded tracks I'm afraid).

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #986749 - 10/05/12 03:23 PM
http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicelive-play/

Seems like from their youtube vids, it can very nicely do pitch shifts up to an octave that sound good enough for backing tracks.

Plus you have a hardware unit you can use live!

At least that's what the youtubes say ...

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

markjosefmusic

Re: Transposing Key / Pitch new [Re: alexis]
      #986840 - 11/05/12 08:23 AM
Hi all,
Many thanks for the responses. All of my 750 backing tracks (about 26gb), are recorded as WAV from CD quality. The audio Info tag on every track states it is 44.1 Khz Sample Rate, with a 1,411 kbps Bit rate and 0% compression. The only additional work I have done with them is perhaps normalise via Audacity or chenge the key a little as is required. I'm not the type of guy that will screw the key through the floor just to sing a popular song... It's either near my natural range or I simply don't bother with it. I have looked at Melodyne DNA and may well have a chat with a few of my singer friends on the circuit and see if they want to club together and buy it. I'll let you all know what the feedback is once we try it out.

Thanks guys.......Mark

Scramble

#986848 - 11/05/12 09:20 AM
You can't use Melodyne for pitch-shifting a whole track (by which I mean a recording of more than one voice/instrument all playing different notes). You could buy a program that has a good pitch-shifter, like Wavelab, but that's an expensive way of doing it if we're only talking about a few tracks. Best idea might be to ask someone here who has such tools if they can do it for a small fee.

Edited by Scramble (11/05/12 09:36 AM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 2774

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media