Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
car speaker rumble - what frequency?? new
      #986945 - 11/05/12 08:24 PM
ok - so we're mixing the new ep and everything is fine and dandy -

coming to the end of one song and decide to burn a cd for the car (to check the mix in the old fashion way)

and the speakers are rattling like [ ****** ] on the bass line

what's the freqency (kenneth) that causes this and should i mix that frequency out

I want the songs to sound like i mixed them in the (ahem) "studio" but the old bird (s reg ford mondeo estate- the finest of motors!) speakers are rattling like a (insert favorite lady of the night undergarment simile here) - what am i doing wrong? - it's just the bass line thats rattling...

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: car speaker rumble - what frequency?? new [Re: Wease]
      #986966 - 11/05/12 10:47 PM
Hi Wease!

It's difficult to tell without listening, but I suspect you might have a car stereo system with a large and somewhat overblown bottom end, and a mix that's been created on nearfield loudspeakers with more modest lows. Thus you're not hearing the offending frequencies until you get in the car

Alternatively, a little multiband compression might tame excess low-end dynamics.

Yet another alternative is that it's just your car stereo system that rattles at some frequencies, and nothing to do with your mix

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

chris...

Re: car speaker rumble - what frequency?? new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #986973 - 11/05/12 11:36 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

your car stereo system that rattles at some frequencies

That seems likely, especially if it's the orig factory fitted "sound" system.

The frequencies of the rattles will likely be specific to your car. So you'd need to make your own measurements to determine the frequencies. Burn a test CD with sine wave noises at a number of (known) frequencies, and see which make it rattle.

Wease

#987011 - 12/05/12 10:09 AM
Quote Martin Walker:

Hi Wease!

It's difficult to tell without listening, but I suspect you might have a car stereo system with a large and somewhat overblown bottom end, and a mix that's been created on nearfield loudspeakers with more modest lows. Thus you're not hearing the offending frequencies until you get in the car ...

i think thats exactly the issue.....i've just cut (filtered with logic's eq) everything below 10(ish) Khz(is that right?) with a 48octave filter thingy (lowpass or highpass - i never remember which one it is!) which hasn't effected the sound on my nearfields - hoping that solves the issue somewhat.

It's unusual because the bass drum (which is quite pumping in a good way - a first for me, and something i'm quite chuffed about ) isn't rattling anything....just sweetly banging away....!

low end rumble eh.......the bain of the small project studio and bad drummer mixer

--------------------

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #987460 - 15/05/12 01:14 AM
Hi Wease!

I suspect you mean 10Hz rather than 10kHz

Oh, and you could probably increase that to 30Hz without causing any real problems to your mixes.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: car speaker rumble - what frequency?? [Re: Wease]
      #987548 - 15/05/12 10:59 AM
That's one of the good things about NS10's - the white cone/black surround made it easy to see when there was too much bass.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #987572 - 15/05/12 01:13 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

Hi Wease!

I suspect you mean 10Hz rather than 10kHz

Oh, and you could probably increase that to 30Hz without causing any real problems to your mixes.

Martin

+1. I can't really hear very low bass from my system in my room, so I generally slap a 30Hz high-pass filter at the top of the mix bus channel as a safety (often on group busses as well, as the LF energy can affect some processors), and usually also collapse frequencies below 60-100Hz on the mix bus to mono so that the LF energy is equally distributed across the speakers whatever the system. And will often use a frequency analyser just to check that there's nothing untoward happening as well (the low end will always look 'bigger' but it's specific notes/resonances you're on the lookout for).

Wease

#987601 - 15/05/12 03:14 PM
thanks for the replies guys

I'll try the 30Hz (not kHz - duh!) filter

it's really just the bass line - kinda really sticks out! -

I'll also try on the mix buss - and may even do it on the drums buss - i usually don't buss the bass tho....

I did look at logic's own metering things - and didn't see any really big spikes in any unusual areas.....

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3252

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media