Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
JamesOrange93

Macbook vs iPad new
      #987691 - 16/05/12 12:04 AM
I'm looking at buying something that has lots of portability, but at the same time to be of use to me.

I will buy both in the end, but its more of a question of which to buy first...

I will be using either for doing some light word processing, a little bit of recording and controlling of DAWs and some web design stuff thrown in there

I already have an iMac to do all of the heavy work and it is my main recording station. It is just the portability that I need, and like I said, I will be buying both, I just need some advice as to which one to buy first

Cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Blott

Loc: Nottingham UK
Re: Macbook vs iPad [Re: JamesOrange93]
      #987695 - 16/05/12 01:00 AM
The MacBook in my opinion.
iPads are more for consumption than creation and as good as they are, they are no replacement for a laptop!
If as you say you are looking to do web design stuff, the MacBook is definitely the one to go for first.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/blottuk
http://blottuk.bandcamp.com

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Macbook vs iPad new [Re: JamesOrange93]
      #987696 - 16/05/12 01:03 AM
Much as I love my iPad, I'm picking you'd be better off with the MacBook for your requirements.

When you say web design, are you talking online or using an application? Either way it's easier to have resources available on the MacBook and upload them either via the online app or using something like Transmit.

Likewise I find word processing a little clunky on the iPad relative to the MacBook, but this is related to the level of sophistication you require. Same with recording.

Remember a MacBook will do everything an iPad will do, but an iPad will not do everything a MacBook will do.

New slimmer profile MacBooks probably coming out next month.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Kaw-Liga

Loc: Norway, Oslo
Re: Macbook vs iPad new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #987710 - 16/05/12 06:55 AM
have you tried writing on an ipad and on a macbook? I have, and I wouldn't use the iPad for writing more than half a page of text. Macbook Air or Macbook Pro, though? Or a Windows pc?

But for remote controlling a DAW, I would buy the iPad. Is it even possible, using a macbook? Being able to keep the fingers on the faders is important.

Edited by Kaw-Liga (16/05/12 06:59 AM)

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #987720 - 16/05/12 08:00 AM
As has been said it's all about consumption v. production of content. Tablets are great at consuming content but with the best will in the world when it comes to creation they are clunky and inconvenient and a collection of compromises. "Real" computers do consumption but they are way better at creation than tablets. Best situation is to have both but if you can only spring for one, get the laptop.

CC

--------------------
Somehow the future isn't what it used to be.
Mr Punch's Studio

oktafish

#987762 - 16/05/12 10:23 AM
Most definitely a macbook, for a start you`re not tied down to iOS and can run apps other than the ones from APP store as well as being able to install different OS`s should you ever need to. iPad is a fantastic add on to your main computer. A real keyboard is nice + expandability. It`s just way more versatile.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/violentchimp
www.myspace.com/vylon

G-Doubleyou

#987804 - 16/05/12 01:31 PM
I have both, the ipad is a great compliment to the Macbook.

I use the iPad for a control surface, and external instruments that I record in logic.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

s_e_a_n

Loc: Kerry
      #987878 - 16/05/12 08:29 PM
I've always had a laptop and a desktop - now I have an iPad and a desktop. The iPad is probably useless for creating websites and any heavy duty word processing etc but for sending emails, surfing the web, controlling daws, sketching songs, recording sessions and loads of other stuff it's perfect. It's also so much easier to throw in a bag and bring with. I also have an iphone which will do a lot of what the ipad does - but the form factor of the ipad is perfect. I also do a LOT of reading on the ipad - novels and manuals.

--------------------
iMac 27", DP 7.2, Melodyne CRE8, Motu 828mk2

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2706

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media