Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Rola

Blocking bass ports on a monitor
      #988023 - 17/05/12 04:35 PM
Does any bods know if its ok to fill the bass ports on my monitors to reduce the bass or will it have side effects to the rest of the sound?? ive tried stuffing a sock in the port and it seems to work but not sure if this may damage the speaker or the sound in some way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
Re: Blocking bass ports on a monitor new [Re: Rola]
      #988025 - 17/05/12 04:54 PM
I would be cautious as to whether the speaker could overheat if it is active and the reflex design in any way relates to cooling of the internal amp. It may alter other factors in the speaker too. It is really a temporary measure to gain an alternative reference.

You should be ok just don't play at too high volumes then your amps will be running cool.

SafeandSound Mastering
online mastering services

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #988029 - 17/05/12 05:26 PM
Unlikely to cause overheating issues. It will change the response dramatically and somewhat unpredictably. Can be used as a short term 'fix' but really, if our speakers are so poor that you need to fix them this way you'd be better selling them and buying something better.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Rola

Re: Blocking bass ports on a monitor new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #988057 - 17/05/12 06:53 PM
Thanks Hugh, Actualy ive got the new Neumann monitors wich i see you have given the thumbs up in other posts and the bass problem is to do with my room not the speakers but just thought blocking the ports my help, my studio is a very small 2 x 3 meter box at the back of my house with all solid walls so defo not ideal but gotta work with it somehow.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #988161 - 18/05/12 11:17 AM
Quote Rola:

Thanks Hugh, Actualy ive got the new Neumann monitors wich i see you have given the thumbs up in other posts and the bass problem is to do with my room not the speakers but just thought blocking the ports my help, my studio is a very small 2 x 3 meter box at the back of my house with all solid walls so defo not ideal but gotta work with it somehow.

Seems a bit daft to reduce the performance and accuracy of the speaker when the problem is a bad room. Why waste money on excellent speakers that can't deliver what they are capable of for the lack of some room treatment.

Small rooms are always difficult, but investing a few hundred on acoustic treatment will allow you to actually hear what your nice speakers are capable of.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Vandemonian

Loc: Hamburg
      #988174 - 18/05/12 12:58 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Small rooms are always difficult, but investing a few hundred on acoustic treatment will allow you to actually hear what your nice speakers are capable of.

hugh

Or build your own for less than 100! There's enough info on bass traps in the acoustics/DIY section, plus it's really easy and quite satisfying!

--------------------
https://soundcloud.com/vandemonian

Rola

#988263 - 18/05/12 05:01 PM
actualy i have already spend a few hundred on aurelex bass traps and acoustic tiles but as i have such a small room with all solid walls theres only so much i can fit in there, maby Hugh you could come and visit and give me a studio sos, i think you would find this room a real challenge, mesured it today and its 180cm x 260cm so could be the worlds smallest studio. i dont think it was daft to buy the best monitors i could afford, even if the room is wrong cheaper monitors would only sound even worse.

krooner

#988489 - 20/05/12 11:06 AM
Hi Rola,

That's even smaller than my 2m x 2.5m. But haven't you left a couple of noughts off ?

Kj

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #988676 - 21/05/12 11:25 AM
Hi Rola!

Make sure you also have some decent headphones to give your mixes a second opinion!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Rola

Re: Blocking bass ports on a monitor new [Re: krooner]
      #989620 - 25/05/12 06:27 PM
well it took me a while to get used to the new monitors but after a few changes with some rockwool in the mini studio the neumann monitors sound amazing. i had mackie 624 before and they seemed to make anything sound good but these dont sound so good but i can hear every deatail now my ears have adjusted, before small eq changes seemed to make no diference but now i can hear even a tiny 1db notch in all frequencys.

Fantashable

Loc: Rural South Devon, UK.
      #994328 - 23/06/12 12:55 PM
Quote Rola:

well it took me a while to get used to the new monitors but after a few changes with some rockwool in the mini studio the neumann monitors sound amazing. i had mackie 624 before and they seemed to make anything sound good but these dont sound so good but i can hear every deatail now my ears have adjusted, before small eq changes seemed to make no diference but now i can hear even a tiny 1db notch in all frequencys.

Some years ago I owned for a few months a pair of active Alesis Monitor One's and decided to block the ports with old socks - a suggestion made by PW at the time. Before that, a pair of Tannoy ported boxes also plugged with old socks.

Plugging ports proved to be of limited value in my case (maybe I should have washed these old socks first!) since my room had little in the way of 'treatment' I wondered whether there was benefit blocking the ports at all without attention to the room acoustics, so set about adding bass traps to see.

At this time I also owned a pair of unported (passive radiator) Mackie 624's and used them in a smaller edit room. After which, I changed them for a pair of closed box loudspeakers (AE22).

What I was hearing thereafter was the edit room - which had no acoustic treatment at all. With the 624's, I hadn't really heard (or taken notice) how bad that room sounded until I changed to a pair AE22's.

This same edit room now has some thick bass trapping which has improved the room response. I chose not to use acoustic foam in such a small listening area because I'd read that foam is only of value from 200hz upwards (No doubt I will be corrected if that assertion is nonsense); and, as my room tip-ups and downs seemed to commence around 150hz downwards lotsa mineral wool trapping was required. I have a small amount of flutter left to deal with which might be tamed with acoustic panels at mirror-points.

The room is still rubbish, but better controlled rubbish !
and I have learnt the hard way, to my financial cost: treat the room, not the loudspeakers.

Mike.

--------------------
Cubase 6.5; Windows 7 Premium 64bit; Motu 828mk2; UADe; Liquid Mix. ASUS mainboard 16 Gig Ram; AMD3 Core 6 @ 3200 X 6

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 3028

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media