Main Forums >> Musicians' Lounge
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
blue manga

Re: is it timefor a punk revival? or a similar 'new music' new [Re: narcoman]
      #988795 - 21/05/12 07:14 PM
Quote narcoman:

Punk? Punk was a teeny blip compared to rave culture or the acid house takeover.

I shall give you a hi-5 my man.
.. that and a purple ohm double dip.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: is it timefor a punk revival? or a similar 'new music' new [Re: OneWorld]
      #988797 - 21/05/12 07:25 PM
I can't remember if it was a cataclysmic shift, a blip or a passing cloud. I do remember it was a fantastic time with loads of good bands spanning everything from what amounted to basic electric skiffle to full blown prog, phsychadelic, reggae, jazz, religious hymns and thrills to poke a party! Pub rock, Thames Delta R&B, George Melly was a favourite of the punk crowd down at Dingwalls on a friday night btw. As were the Ducks, er, (of course because on to the) BLOCKHEADS! ('scuse me) and then that was just London. There were the skids and the Buzzcocks and then all the Manchester bands, Orange Juice etc and then on out of it all the new rheumatics and the whole Bowie shift into the Warsaw trilogy with the Stooges influence and talking of the states the Tubes and Devo and not forgetting the SAHBs were still packing 'em in.

Nope, not much happening at all. But i do remember it was a bloody good laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nttiKcJVnWA

Airfix

Re: is it timefor a punk revival? or a similar 'new music' new [Re: blue manga]
      #988805 - 21/05/12 08:01 PM
blue manga, smiley face 'double dip' was short lived too. Fun, no doubt, but not my style. I was not mad about disco either. But I will admit, in a good club 'Earth Wind and Fire' could make me want to dance. Irish folk music can do that to me too - no matter how hard I try, I tap my foot when I hear it.
It's all good!
Punk was never meant to survive!

blue manga

Re: is it timefor a punk revival? or a similar 'new music' new [Re: Airfix]
      #988818 - 21/05/12 09:42 PM
Quote Airfix:

blue manga, smiley face 'double dip' was short lived too.

Rave as it was as in Acid House and the raving scene was short lived - in large part due to the Criminal Justice bill which was passed by the Tory govt. almost specifically just to shut down the rave scene..

- and then all the music and the culture went back into the clubs - and became (many) other things ..

These many other things defined the 90s .. and can still easily be seen & heard today ..
Actually - if u go check out any line up / club night based around contemporary electronic urban/dance acts - the format, the spirit, everything is pretty much the same as the early raves ..

Yes Acid House died when the Criminal Justice bill was passed - but the shockwaves are still VERY strong. Much stronger than Punk's shockwaves (as in the generic music form)

In fact it could be argued that the musical ingenuity and energy of what was Acid House - has been far more creatively explosive and diverse than even the 60's - in the long haul.

That is not to say the music of the Acid House and everything which spawned from it (Breakz, DNB, Garage, Dubstep, Various House, IDM, alot of electro styles .. untold non generic musical expeditions) - was 'better' than the music of the 60's revolutions, of course not - only that the prominent and revered music of the 60's has not evolved in it's setting .. so much.

The journey of electronic / dance music since the Acid House has been huge and varied .. but guitar bands over the last couple of decades which perhaps emulate the bands of the 60's and 70's .. emulate .. well .. basically similar sounds / formula etc ..

So, with respect to musical revolutions and evolution over the last century - Acid House was *the most significant herald of change, evolution and new forms ..

Edited by blue manga (21/05/12 09:44 PM)

Airfix

Re: is it timefor a punk revival? or a similar 'new music' new [Re: blue manga]
      #988841 - 22/05/12 12:56 AM
It's the 60s. First off, hammer all hippies! Good advice that! Lazy bums!

John Lennon and Sir Paul, of Beatles fame, embarrassingly, both wrote a song about Ireland. Both songs were banned in the UK. They must have been really bad. Too bad for radio!

All Punk was banned once - pretty much! Sir John Reid was sorry he ever got involved with the Sex Pistols - EMI dont you know. So what's new?
Rave - well you guys were better organised for a while - I'll give you that. So 'they' got you too with a CJ bill. Bad luck! You must have been too noisy.

I'm moving to Beijing. Going to find myself a music act and get rich.
I kid - in winter I believe the air is thick with smoke in Beijing and I have asthma.

GlynB

Loc: Lancashire, UK.
      #988922 - 22/05/12 01:12 PM
The more I see those re-runs of TOTP from '77, the more I believe in progress!

It was far worse than I remember.

--------------------

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #988925 - 22/05/12 01:17 PM
OK Narcoman, I'll bite ...

What is the new punk that isn't music, and why won't I like it ?

(So far the only thing I routinely don't like is in fact music: dubstep to be precise).

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

narcoman

Re: is it timefor a punk revival? or a similar 'new music' new [Re: SecretSam]
      #988943 - 22/05/12 02:35 PM
Quote SecretSam:

it isn't music. It's whatever your parents don't like. And in 2012 it's rather more confrontational than punk ever was.... the teenager round here are all doing it; fekkin nightmare and I don't want to put in type what it is... but use your imagination...

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: is it timefor a punk revival? or a similar 'new music' new [Re: Wease]
      #988968 - 22/05/12 04:00 PM
Quote Wease:

Of course we don't know what's replacing our countries 16 year olds fasination - cause we're all not 16! ....I am coming up to 40 now, and have kids who are 12 and 6 - so maybe in 4 years time I'll find out what is "the thing" for 16 year olds....but at the moment my kids listen to linkin park, Nirvana, some depeche - cause thats what they hear round my house!

I remember some point in the mid 90's having a conversation with a couple of mates in regards to where music might go. At the time I was playing Scottish Techno, Gabba, Industrial Speedcore... well you get the idea, and between us we were trying to work out just what the hell our kids in the future might be able to listen too in order to rebel. Well I can't stand Dubstep so...

As for what's the next punk. I'd agree acid house was to some extent in regards to it was music that anyone could make with the bare minimum of kit, the releases would be would be driven by indies not majors before being sucked up into the whole corporate side of things only for the underground to thrive in the background leaving a legacy sound that still resonates today.

The problem that exists now in regards to ever seeing another explosive scene is the very thing that makes it simple also makes it hard.

Everyone has the kit and the majors are no longer in a position to swollow up the next big thing due to their own financial constraints and the likelyhood of it just not working out. If your willing to trawl through the many hundreds of releases that come out each week the's new styles and sub genres coming through all the time but due to the shear number of specilized scenes the just isn't the numbers in any given micro scene for them to explode into the big time.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

turbodave

Loc: derbyshire uk
      #988971 - 22/05/12 04:17 PM
Quote narcoman:

Quote SecretSam:

it isn't music. It's whatever your parents don't like. And in 2012 it's rather more confrontational than punk ever was.... the teenager round here are all doing it; fekkin nightmare and I don't want to put in type what it is... but use your imagination...

Is it the Duke of Edinburgh's award scheme? ......vile!

--------------------
My head hurts!

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
      #988980 - 22/05/12 04:41 PM
Quote narcoman:

Quote SecretSam:

Its still too cryptic for me. What is it? Refusing to become obsessed with getting on the property ladder?

Ooooppps! Sorry, that was perhaps a little too subversive

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

blue manga

#989008 - 22/05/12 06:21 PM
Happy Slapping is the new Punk ?

SecretSam

#989068 - 23/05/12 07:51 AM
Narcoman, that's a bit vague. Let me try to guess:

Does it involve abuse of domestic pets ? Reading celebrity magazines ? Petty thieving ? Robbing old ladies at knifepoint ?Saying "Chillax," when they haven't actually ever done any work ? Pretending to be cool when they can't even drive a car ? Talking with their mouths full ? Saying "Like," several times per sentence in the hope that you believe their mundane lives have thrown up experiences too extreme to describe precisely ? Trying to sound like Jamaicans, when actually they attend private schools in Highgate ? Convincing themselves that their generation invented drugs ? Trying to seem dangerous when they are five foot six and weight about nine stones ?

Look, everything about teenagers is irritating. It was irritating even when I was a teenager ... maybe especially then.

What could they possibly do to make it worse ?

My advice: lock up the little sods as soon as they turn 15, and let them out when they are 23. Everything else is just skirting around the problem.

--------------------

SecretSam

#989124 - 23/05/12 11:13 AM
... but back on topic:

I think what (some) punk and (some) dance music had in common is that they were an attempt to make music with its own terms of reference, for its own sake, for people who want to get (to coin a phrase) lost in it. The music was not simply show business, and not simply the result of a marketing strategy. Whatever the result sounds like, I think music made with this sort of intention (and a very basic level of competence) is worthy of some respect.

To my jaded ears, Skryllex' stuff sounds as though it was made by a commercial mind for use in advertising and bowling alleys, so I wouldn't see it as the same sort of thing IMAO*. I can hear that it is quite well produced, but so are the advertisements on TV, and I wouldn't watch those for fun or enlightenment.

So what is original in the for-its-own-sake tradition ? Gogol Bordello, anyone ? Flowjob ? Dunno ...

*In My Arrogant Opinion

--------------------

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #991141 - 03/06/12 06:56 PM
For punk history devotees, new series "Punk Britannia" starts tonight at 9.00pm on BBC 4.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #991156 - 03/06/12 08:31 PM
(...correction, 9.00pm Fridays repeated 11.30pm Sundays...)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00s81jw

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 11246

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media