Main Forums >> Musicians' Lounge
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
OneWorld

Does Facebook know more about me then I do?
      #988482 - 20/05/12 09:53 AM
Today I get yet another email, seemingly, from Facebook telling me "I have more friends than I think on Facebook" and in the past "You have a new friend on Facebook, log on now" So it seems I have friends in this world I didn't know about but FB does?

Well that's odd, seeing as I don't have a Facebook account, and being the cynical object that I am, have never been convinced by the cuddly chuckle-butty 'I'm just a friendly geek' personna that Zuckleberger portrays don't wash with me, they seem a ruthlessy pervasive organisation that's not quite what it seems - and if you're reading this Zuck, I don't want anymore of your spam, so thanks but no thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Does Facebook know more about me then I do? new [Re: OneWorld]
      #988493 - 20/05/12 12:35 PM
I hate that 'people you may know' feature. I really don't want to turn up in other people's anyway, and yet there's probably nothing we can do about it except delete the account. But FB is too useful for making music connexions for me to do that.

I was also worried when I read that if you get the same people cropping up in that friends box, it could be because they're stalking you (i.e. because they keep looking at your profile facebook assumes a stronger connexion). But I doubt this, I've noticed it's usually just those with more mutual friends in common.

Dave Gate

Loc: M6/M61/M60/M62/M65
      #988501 - 20/05/12 01:11 PM
It's probably not really from Facebook. I closed my Facebook account down more than two years ago, but I sometimes get these e-mails. However they don't come to the e-mail address I used for Facebook, which is why I treat them with disdain.

--------------------
Gear List: reverse only.

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
Re: Does Facebook know more about me then I do? new [Re: Dave Gate]
      #988506 - 20/05/12 01:37 PM
You can't close down your FB account. Its like Hotel California. You can check in any time you like but you can never leave. They will only 'deactivate' the account. Not close it. Which begs the question how many of those 900,000,000 accounts they claim to have when they are selling advertising space or having an IPO actually exist? My guess is they couldn't care less what they know about you. The pervasive, aggressive marketing is mostly designed to dupe more money out of investors and advertisers. The whole thing is like a huge, legal ponzi scheme.

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

Dave Gate

Re: Does Facebook know more about me then I do? new [Re: Frisonic]
      #988515 - 20/05/12 02:08 PM
Quote Frisonic:

You can't close down your FB account. Its like Hotel California. You can check in any time you like but you can never leave. They will only 'deactivate' the account. Not close it. Which begs the question how many of those 900,000,000 accounts they claim to have when they are selling advertising space or having an IPO actually exist? My guess is they couldn't care less what they know about you. The pervasive, aggressive marketing is mostly designed to dupe more money out of investors and advertisers. The whole thing is like a huge, legal ponzi scheme.

If this is the case then they know even less about my current circumstances than they think they do, as I was married when I last used said account.

--------------------

Frisonic

#988529 - 20/05/12 03:59 PM
Quote Dave Gate:

they know even less about my current circumstances than they think they do

But they don't care if what they 'know' is true or not. Or even if you actually exist. Only that they can convince their revenue providers that their profile of you is worth targeting resources at.

--------------------

Dave Gate

Re: Does Facebook know more about me then I do? new [Re: Frisonic]
      #988535 - 20/05/12 04:34 PM
Quote Frisonic:

Quote Dave Gate:

they know even less about my current circumstances than they think they do

But they don't care if what they 'know' is true or not. Or even if you actually exist. Only that they can convince their revenue providers that their profile of you is worth targeting resources at.

This is a good point. Did I include my love of Ferraris, hand-made chocolates, vintage Moog modular systems and so on in my profile? I can't remember, but hope to hear from providers of the above in due course.

--------------------

Frisonic

#988536 - 20/05/12 04:42 PM
When the marketing world forms an overinflated idea of your personal wealth the literature that drops through your letter box can be quite entertaining! Personally I haven't got squat, although I somehow manage to leave a trail of evidence around some unlikely places. There's always someone disappointed not to have sold me a lear jet or the like. Truth is my budget is more Easy Jet!

--------------------

Dave Gate

#988581 - 20/05/12 09:44 PM
I'm not even sure whether my budget would stretch to EasyJet at the moment. But maybe next year . . .

--------------------

Frisonic

#988591 - 20/05/12 10:48 PM
Don't worry Dave. This is a lousy year to travel to or from anywhere from the UK, regardless of budget mate!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
6 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2352

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media