Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
MadManDan

Loc: Across the pond....New Yawk
look ahead analog limiting new
      #988453 - 20/05/12 06:04 AM
So I have a song in my head that I hope to get done sometime soon. Genre is metal-ish. Begins with a quiet intro and kicks in very loud.

I must state that I am against the volume wars. Yes, I plan on compressing the mix elements tastefully, but not to death. For mastering, my colleague has a boat-load of boutique limiters and I do plan on giving the overall mix a little tasteful squash. Think along lines of the last of the vynil days.

My question is this: when the loud part kicks in, I feel there might be an audible duck when the limiters first kick-in.

I've heard about look ahead limiting.
Does it work like this: put mix on stereo track A, which goes thru the limiter. Put copy on track B, slide that ahead a smidge, then feed that to the limiter's key input? I imagine that the limiter will already be doing its job a fraction of a second before the signal gets there.

Is this how its done?

MMD

--------------------
Gear list: If you can't find it, grind it

Edited by MadManDan (20/05/12 06:19 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Soundseed

Loc: Glasgow
Re: look ahead analog limiting new [Re: MadManDan]
      #988454 - 20/05/12 06:24 AM
If you're using an analog multitrack of the pro variety, there might well be separate sync outputs, so you can take a trigger feed from the record rather than play head. It's ahead by the time it takes for the tape to pass between the two heads, so depending on your tape speed you may have 100+ ms... However, if the difference between your loud and quiet sections is so substantial that you are going to hit your limiter hard no matter what, you will always get some form of artifact.

The simplest solution is to narrow the gap between the two sections - you will still retain the dramatic effect of going e.g. from lone guitar and vocal to full blasting band, but won't have to hit your limiter so hard.

---------------------
Piet Haag

andy cross

Loc: Cambridge, England
      #988466 - 20/05/12 08:26 AM
Quote MadManDan:

Does it work like this: put mix on stereo track A, which goes thru the limiter. Put copy on track B, slide that ahead a smidge, then feed that to the limiter's key input? I imagine that the limiter will already be doing its job a fraction of a second before the signal gets there.

Is this how its done?

MMD

That should work. It's certainly a handy technique for gating - you can set quite a high threshold and politely ask the gate to open in advance by using a time-slipped instance of the audio.

SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
      #988498 - 20/05/12 12:54 PM
Have an experiment but if this sounds better than the best digital limiters available I would be very surprised indeed.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
online mastering services

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #988525 - 20/05/12 03:43 PM
Quote MadManDan:

Is this how its done?

In general terms, yes.

In reality the 'lookahead delay' is of the order of a few hundred microseconds (enough to let the limiter start it's attack time before the transient arrives) and is achieved with an analogue delay line comprising a lot of inductors!

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

MadManDan

Loc: Across the pond....New Yawk
Re: look ahead analog limiting new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #988606 - 21/05/12 04:16 AM
Thanks everybody. I think what got confused is what equipment is being used. Standard daw. The only analog equipment is the limiter.

We could take the signal from track A, the control from track B, and print on C.

I figure we could leave the control track right where it is, no sliding,and print the entire song. Then, slide the control track up a little and punch the one spot right when the loud part hits.

I guess I'm just wrapping my head around how to have an artistically "packed" loud song while still keeping the soft part soft. I don't want anything to duck when the bomb drops. Probably the trick is to not have too many things lingering over during the transition. Lingering instruments would be heard ducking.

Even in one of the most revered rock recordings, I can hear limiters kicking in and changing levels. "Hells Bells" by ACDC. There's the bell of course, then that first electric, and when the kick comes in it squashes the guitar down. They did nothing wrong, its the nature of the "limiting beast"

--------------------
Gear list: If you can't find it, grind it

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: look ahead analog limiting [Re: MadManDan]
      #988637 - 21/05/12 09:13 AM
Perhaps the way forward is to process the individual loud track elements with limiters or level automation so that you won't have the overall limiting/ducking issue.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
7 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 1820

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media