SOS Forums >> Magazine, Website & Forum Feedback
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Lavry AD11 June 2012
      #989249 - 24/05/12 09:26 AM
Superb mic amp and converter as I we would all expect.

Hugh is not happy with quite a few issue but two other things struck me.

1) No analogue output of anykind? Not even a headphone out (and I seem to recall a Lavry product that had a particularly excellent one?).

2)(And this will raise hackles!)Why, when a usb port is provided and indeed mention of the use of the uniit as a portable device, was it mains powered? I would have thought a 12V DC (or even universal)input would have been far more flexible (no "export" model), would have cut the cost still more, tho' I admit it IS very good value and of course would have made mains free laptop use possible (but you would then REALLY need a cans out!). Not of course going to ever be bus powered.

Dave.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Lavry AD11 June 2012 new [Re: ef37a]
      #989261 - 24/05/12 09:59 AM
Quote ef37a:

1) No analogue output of anykind?

I think the clue is in the name... But seriously, you're right -- a lot of mic-pre/converters do have analogue outs and/or headphones. The AD11 is Lavry's entry-level product designed down to a price (albeit a high one), and hence has minimal frills.

Quote:

2)(And this will raise hackles!)

I did have an exchange of views with Lavry about a few of the AD11's engineering/design decisions. At the end of the day, they arrived at a specific set of design choices and compromises that they are happy with. Yes, there are alternative ways of doing things, many of which would be equally valid and possibly more appealing to some markets, but that's what Lavry are offering in that product. Take it or leave it.

It is clearly a very engineering-led company that prioritises audio quality and I think that is to be commended.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

chris...

#989281 - 24/05/12 11:39 AM
Quote ef37a:

Not even a headphone out (and I seem to recall a Lavry product that had a particularly excellent one?)

Yes - their D-to-A convertor / headphone amp product!

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Lavry AD11 June 2012 new [Re: chris...]
      #989310 - 24/05/12 01:24 PM
Yep - I'd go along with the DA10 having an excellent headphone amp, I'm very impressed with it.

However, I do agree with Hugh that Dan Lavry makes some occasionally strange engineering choices. In this case the headphone amp uses the same level control as the main analogue outputs, meaning that you have to turn down your power amp level controls or switch the amp off altogether before using the headphones

It still sounds superb though

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

ef37a

Re: Lavry AD11 June 2012 new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #989325 - 24/05/12 01:51 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

Yep - I'd go along with the DA10 having an excellent headphone amp, I'm very impressed with it.

However, I do agree with Hugh that Dan Lavry makes some occasionally strange engineering choices. In this case the headphone amp uses the same level control as the main analogue outputs, meaning that you have to turn down your power amp level controls or switch the amp off altogether before using the headphones

It still sounds superb though

Martin

Err? Sorry Martin, my point was that the AD11 does not have a headphone output AFAIKS?

(BTW:Boobed about the universal PSU but still think 12V operation is a better idea!)

Dave.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #989328 - 24/05/12 01:57 PM
I was replying to Chris to confirm that it was the Lavry D/A converters that had a headphone amp

As for the 12-volt PSU I can see your point for live use, but if the D/A is anything to go by Dan Lavry prefers to have his circuitry on all the time (my DA10 consumes about 4 watts all the time it's plugged in, even before you 'switch it on'), making battery operation less suitable.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

ef37a

Re: Lavry AD11 June 2012 new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #989343 - 24/05/12 02:22 PM
Sorry Martin but I get SoS posts back in isolation, not as part of the string as every other forum seems to do.

But then I supposed I should backtrack and see who is talking to whom anyway! Sorry again.

Hugh: Not knocking the product in any way, shape or form, just my BOF ramblings!

Dave.

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #989361 - 24/05/12 03:08 PM
Quote ef37a:

Sorry Martin but I get SoS posts back in isolation, not as part of the string as every other forum seems to do.

But then I supposed I should backtrack and see who is talking to whom anyway! Sorry again.

Hugh: Not knocking the product in any way, shape or form, just my BOF ramblings!

Dave.

Hi Dave!

I only found out a coupla weeks ago how to switch between the two forum views... Top and bottom of the thread screen you're probably seeing something that says "Flat". (Its on the Previous, Topics, Next... line) Click on this and it'll switch to "Threaded"... you'll get a whole new outlook on life!

(My issue was that I didn't know how to view the 'other' way until Martin W or Zen explained how...)

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #989365 - 24/05/12 03:12 PM
Quote ef37a:

No problem -- your comments are entirely valid observations and queries. As I said, they seem to have their own reasons for doing things the way they do.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2845

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media