SOS Forums >> SOS Support Forum
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
edencane

Loc: /\delaide, /\ustralia
Reading back issues before 1990 new
      #975144 - 11/03/12 12:13 AM
Hi.
I have an esub 24 months and wish to access the backlog of issues before 1990 etc. but when I open those issues there are no links to the articles...
How do I access those?

Thanks.

edencane

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Reading back issues before 1990 new [Re: edencane]
      #975161 - 11/03/12 11:21 AM
Hello edencane,

I'm sorry to say you can't. There are well over 9,000 SOS articles and reviews available free online, but the oldest is January 1994.

Sound On Sound has been publishing the print magazine since 1985, but the first ten years of production employed relatively crude (by modern standards) technology and there is no way to translate those early issues electronically onto the web.

The only solution is to physically split an archive of paper magazines, scan each page, OCR the text to make it searchable, and then reformat for the web. Sadly, that is just far too time and resource intensive for us to contemplate, much as we'd like to.

However, the website does list every article we've ever produced, so you can still search for things, and photocopies can be purchased through the SOS shop.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

edencane

#989473 - 25/05/12 01:46 AM
Thanks for your reply.
That's cool. Its a great mag and the resources are fantastic!

Can I set the forums to email me when someone answers my post?
I miss quite a few answers because I dont check back each day... the auto email on answer is a great feature...
Get that added!

Thanks.
Best regards.
Luke.

--------------------
http://edensongs.blogspot.com ... http://www.soundcloud.com/edencane

edencane

#989474 - 25/05/12 01:57 AM
Im seeing that currently I can set it up to be emailed when one of my favourite threads receives answers, that means Id have to mark each of my own threads as favourite... which Ill probably forget )-: it needs to be a setting in the forum preferences...

--------------------

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Reading back issues before 1990 [Re: edencane]
      #989489 - 25/05/12 07:43 AM
Yes -- the only way at present is to set each thread as a favourite. It's not too laborious -- you only have to get in the habit of ticking the box at the bottom when you type your post!

I agree, it would be nice to have this opton in the user preferences. The reason its not is because when we started this forum a very long tme ago the forum software didn't do a lot of things we thouht important, so we ended up hacking the code to make it work the way we wanted. At the time this put us well ahead of every other forum system on the market.... but the world has moved on and we've not been able to update the forum software without sacrificing a lot of the modifications we made and which we now rely upon.

So the forum software is now pretty old and creaky and doesn't do a lot of things that people now take for granted -- like the email notifications. We took the decision a while ago not to waste resources working to continue tweaking this antique software, but instead to wait until the rest of the website upgrade was completed, at which point we will jump to a brand new forum platform too.

That point is getting closer... but it is taking a while as it is a very complicated upgrade and we have strictly limited resources available.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

edencane

Re: Reading back issues before 1990 new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #989565 - 25/05/12 12:53 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Yes -- the only way at present is to set each thread as a favourite. It's not too laborious -- you only have to get in the habit of ticking the box at the bottom when you type your post!

I agree, it would be nice to have this opton in the user preferences. The reason its not is because when we started this forum a very long tme ago the forum software didn't do a lot of things we thouht important, so we ended up hacking the code to make it work the way we wanted. At the time this put us well ahead of every other forum system on the market.... but the world has moved on and we've not been able to update the forum software without sacrificing a lot of the modifications we made and which we now rely upon.

So the forum software is now pretty old and creaky and doesn't do a lot of things that people now take for granted -- like the email notifications. We took the decision a while ago not to waste resources working to continue tweaking this antique software, but instead to wait until the rest of the website upgrade was completed, at which point we will jump to a brand new forum platform too.

That point is getting closer... but it is taking a while as it is a very complicated upgrade and we have strictly limited resources available.

Hugh

Thanks for your reply Hugh. I totally understand, since I am a programmer / sysadmin in my dayjob... sshhhh! not many people know this (-;
You're right, its not a big hassle to add to favourites when I create a thread.

Good luck with the upgrade.

On another note:
I am subscribed to the mag and read the digital edition online. Pity it cant be transferred to the ipad, since I have to buy separately if I want to read SOS on ipad.
I have trialled an issue on the ipad and found it odd that I could not zoom... so I decided I wouldnt really want to read SOS on the ipad unless I can zoom... otherwise the navigation is good. I dont mind the column structure for navigating...

The SOS mag is the best, so keep up the good work!

Best.L>

--------------------

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #989934 - 28/05/12 06:19 AM
Yes Luke,
remembering to tick The Box is a drag but now you know!.....You will get your own post back if you have done this ("modern" forum software does not of course do this)so, if you don't get it back almost immediately, you have forgotten so "bump" and tick.

There are many traps and snares in the SoS forum format, such fun!

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zenguitar, Martin Walker, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You can start new topics
      You can reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4387

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media